Hacking Can the Wii U output 240p in Wii mode?

Randamin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a TV those menus are produced by a scaler - DVDO Edge.
I myself thought it was a computer monitor given the detailed OSD not normally present in most TVs. Does this upscaler have a VGA output since it would be nice to plug into a CRT monitor given the flicker free display. Also because my TV applies overscan to every input except VGA.

Reactions: tronic307

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not many LCD TVs support 240p resolution. I am impressed. What brand/model of TV is that?
I have my consoles routed through a scaler in Game Mode to my TV in PC Mode to reduce lag. The TV is a 3D Samsung UN-46C7000, and the scaler is a DVDO EDGE. Both are from 2010 and both support 240p. I'm not sure about the newer Samsungs, however.
photo (12)a.jpg

The DVDO EDGE's successor, the EDGE Green has been stuck on 1.0 firmware since its release in 2011 and does not yet support 240p. DVDO tech support says the next firmware, if any, will support 240p, but it's not a high priority for them as they are developing new (HDMI 1.4b-2.0) products at the moment. I'd recommend an XRGB Mini "Framemeister" for best 240p support, at this time.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I myself thought it was a computer monitor given the detailed OSD not normally present in most TVs. Does this upscaler have a VGA output since it would be nice to plug into a CRT monitor given the flicker free display. Also because my TV applies overscan to every input except VGA.
No VGA, but it has a picture size control.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what games and or emulators support 240p? I wanna test this out now.
Genesis Plus GX, RetroArch, and most 16-bit VC games. You're really only going to get the most out of 240p with a CRT, though.
I remember way back when I had a Radeon 9800 with a real analog VGA out, I would create a custom resolution for every game in MAME with PowerStrip. CRT computer monitors can't usually go below 480p60, so I would run 240p120 to maintain frequency. The scanlines were absolutely retina-searing; it was glorious!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my consoles routed through a scaler in Game Mode to my TV in PC Mode to reduce lag. The TV is a 3D Samsung UN-46C7000, and the scaler is a DVDO EDGE. Both are from 2010 and both support 240p. I'm not sure about the newer Samsungs, however.
View attachment 2565
The DVDO EDGE's successor, the EDGE Green has been on 1.0 firmware since its release in 2011 and does not yet support 240p. DVDO tech support says the next firmware, if any, will support 240p, but it's not a high priority for them as they are developing new (HDMI 1.4b) products at the moment. I'd recommend an XRGB Mini "Framemeister" for best 240p support, at this time.

That DVDO EDGE looks pretty awesome and would definitely help Wii emulators and Wii U VC games look decent on an HDTV without looking like garbage. The only problem is I don't know how much it is, much less where to buy it since Amazon is out of stock. Any recommendations for good scaler that uses 240p on newer TVs?

Edit: Just saw the price...holy hell that's expensive. What about the XRGB Mini?

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That DVDO EDGE looks pretty awesome and would definitely help Wii emulators and Wii U VC games look decent on an HDTV without looking like garbage. The only problem is I don't know how much it is, much less where to buy it since Amazon is out of stock. Any recommendations for good scaler that uses 240p on newer TVs?

Edit: Just saw the price...holy hell that's expensive. What about the XRGB Mini?
About the same.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bollocks. Any good scalers with 240p that aren't super expensive?
A DVDO representative told me that they were having trouble selling the Edge and Edge Green because it's a videophile item, and videophiles usually like to spend much more than $400 on a scaler. Surprisingly, they don't seem to market to gamers, and their future products would likely be targeted primarily at the high-end home theater crowd.
The Lumagen Radiance XE-3D, now that's super expensive!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A DVDO representative told me that they were having trouble selling the Edge and Edge Green because it's a videophile item, and videophiles usually like to spend much more than $400 on a scaler. Surprisingly, they don't seem to market to gamers, and their future products would likely be targeted primarily at the high-end home theater crowd.
The Lumagen Radiance XE-3D, now that's super expensive!

So, I'm outta luck. Oh well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*