Hardware Can the Switch output the display over USB-C?

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I know what you’re gonna say. No. That’s what I believed this entire time. Until I came across this video. And since then I’ve been trying to figure out how in the freaking world this is possible. The person is able to connect his Switch to the monitor using only a single USB-C cable from the Switch to the monitor and a USB-C cable to power the monitor. The only thing I can think of is that since the monitor is being powered separately, it must contain some of the parts found in the dock, and somehow it’s working. The person who owns the channel is pretty reputable and I doubt the video is fake. And the monitor doesn’t appear to be specifically designed for the Switch. Can somebody with more knowledge of the hardware please describe what’s going on here?

Last edited by aykay55,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's because the monitor has hardware to accept the switch video signal over USB C, exactly as the dock can. Just look at the bunch of third party dock dongles that exist. All it needs is a certain chip inside the display and it works. Not really all that amazing. Though that doesn't mean you could (easily) output the same signal over to a standard USB on a PC, though it's likely possibly with a little tinkering via homebrew.

Reactions: aykay55

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting part is that P13USB Panasonic chip similar to HDMI encoder they made for PS4, it mostly has output capabilities.
Most chips in side of your dock are data and power management for USB ports...

Last edited by Agilato,

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably would brick the switch if it supplies the wrong voltage the switch is asking for.

I agree, there is a good chance =) but it's less common after 8.x.x > Upgrade.
You know, for 260$ that monitor costs, you can make ur own out of original dock, Anker battery pack and laptop screen...

Last edited by Agilato,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, I know what you’re gonna say. No. That’s what I believed this entire time. Until I came across this video. And since then I’ve been trying to figure out how in the freaking world this is possible. The person is able to connect his Switch to the monitor using only a single USB-C cable from the Switch to the monitor and a USB-C cable to power the monitor. The only thing I can think of is that since the monitor is being powered separately, it must contain some of the parts found in the dock, and somehow it’s working. The person who owns the channel is pretty reputable and I doubt the video is fake. And the monitor doesn’t appear to be specifically designed for the Switch. Can somebody with more knowledge of the hardware please describe what’s going on here?

There have been at least a couple portable monitors made that support Switch TV out. Coincidentally, Switch and Samsung Dex have the same requirements for TV out, and this support is just one step further than generic MyDP (SlimPort) support used by many smartphones, tablets and laptops, so it makes sense for companies to build that functionality right into the screen.
But no guarantees on whether it's safe to use with the Switch.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
USB 3.1 spec includes DisplayPort. Technically any USB-C monitor should work but in practice i'm not sure if Horizon OS expects a certain DP --> HDMI converter to actually switch to external output. If not then any external LCD with USB-C input should work.

charpsp20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been messing with a uperfect portable monitor. Using a 3.1 gen 2 usb c to usb c does indeed the switch to directly power and display from plugging into the monitor, assuming the monitor is powered by itself into the wall. This is actually a pretty ideal setup because you only need two cables and don't even need an hdmi cable or the dock. With concerns of over volting which would brick the switch, couldn't you just limit power variability into the switch by carefully selecting the type of plug powering the monitor? I'm assuming the voltage the monitor feeds into the switch is limited by the power adaptor powering it, itself. As a test, I was successfully able to power everything with the stock power adapter of 5V 3A. This brings another point: TV mode for the switch is close to 40W power, and yet this is working fine being secondarily powered by 15W source through that usb c (thundbolt 3) port.

Last edited by charpsp20,

MichaelShawJr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That monitor basically has a Switch dock built-in, which is why it works. You can buy a small portable dock pretty cheap, or you can buy a new case for your original dock if you are afraid of third party docks. If you do use a third-party dock, make sure the dock is not connected when updating firmware, because back in the day some units bricked after an update.

Third Party Portable Dock: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Charg...sh=item5238489a98:g:CeoAAOSwwsVfBEGa&LH_BIN=1

Original Dock Travel Case: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Ninten...sh=item3faf0a79db:g:JMoAAOSw8-lbzUVV&LH_BIN=1

When they say to make your own dock, I'm assuming they mean to disassemble the switch dock and put it in the case mentioned above

charpsp20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably would brick the switch if it supplies the wrong voltage the switch is asking for.
But what if you limit the power adapter your using to power the monitor? In theory then, the switch wouldn't get over volted by accident?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That monitor basically has a Switch dock built-in, which is why it works. You can buy a small portable dock pretty cheap, or you can buy a new case for your original dock if you are afraid of third party docks. If you do use a third-party dock, make sure the dock is not connected when updating firmware, because back in the day some units bricked after an update.

Third Party Portable Dock: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Charger-USB-3-0-Hub-Adapter-Dock-Converter-Cable-Cord-For-Nintendo-Switch/353131600536?hash=item5238489a98:g:CeoAAOSwwsVfBEGa&LH_BIN=1

Original Dock Travel Case: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Nintendo-Switch-Docking-Station-Mini-Replacement-Dock-Case-DIY-Travel-Stand/273519639003?hash=item3faf0a79db:g:JMoAAOSw8-lbzUVV&LH_BIN=1

When they say to make your own dock, I'm assuming they mean to disassemble the switch dock and put it in the case mentioned above

I also have the original dock in a smaller hardshell case like the second link shows. But as soon as I decide to use the official dock, the required power input jumps to that near 40w and I cant power the monitor and switch through that regular 15w adapter anymore. So Im assuming the switch isn't strictly speaking in TV mode without the dock and going straight through usb C, otherwise the power requirements would also jump up.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what if you limit the power adapter your using to power the monitor? In theory then, the switch wouldn't get over volted by accident?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I also have the original dock in a smaller hardshell case like the second link shows. But as soon as I decide to use the official dock, the required power input jumps to that near 40w and I cant power the monitor and switch through that regular 15w adapter anymore. So Im assuming the switch isn't strictly speaking in TV mode without the dock and going straight through usb C, otherwise the power requirements would also jump up.

Actually wrong, the switch use a modified version of USB PD, if it not the correct voltage/amp the system is asking for who know what would it do, Nintendo uses a non-conventional USB PD protocol after all. You could use the USB C port to USB C to output to a USB C input monitor but who know how long it would last before bricking.

Last edited by Hayato213,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: