Can the Switch output the display over USB-C?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by aykay55, Aug 15, 2019.

1. aykay55
    OP

aykay55 Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Where the buffalo roam.
    Yes, I know what you’re gonna say. No. That’s what I believed this entire time. Until I came across this video. And since then I’ve been trying to figure out how in the freaking world this is possible. The person is able to connect his Switch to the monitor using only a single USB-C cable from the Switch to the monitor and a USB-C cable to power the monitor. The only thing I can think of is that since the monitor is being powered separately, it must contain some of the parts found in the dock, and somehow it’s working. The person who owns the channel is pretty reputable and I doubt the video is fake. And the monitor doesn’t appear to be specifically designed for the Switch. Can somebody with more knowledge of the hardware please describe what’s going on here?

Last edited by aykay55, Aug 15, 2019
  2. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    that's because the monitor has hardware to accept the switch video signal over USB C, exactly as the dock can. Just look at the bunch of third party dock dongles that exist. All it needs is a certain chip inside the display and it works. Not really all that amazing. Though that doesn't mean you could (easily) output the same signal over to a standard USB on a PC, though it's likely possibly with a little tinkering via homebrew.

aykay55 likes this.
  3. Agilato

Agilato Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2019
    United States
    Interesting part is that P13USB Panasonic chip similar to HDMI encoder they made for PS4, it mostly has output capabilities.
    Most chips in side of your dock are data and power management for USB ports...

Last edited by Agilato, Aug 15, 2019
  4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Probably would brick the switch if it supplies the wrong voltage the switch is asking for.

aykay55, lordelan and Agilato like this.
  5. Agilato

Agilato Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2019
    United States
    I agree, there is a good chance =) but it's less common after 8.x.x > Upgrade.
    You know, for 260$ that monitor costs, you can make ur own out of original dock, Anker battery pack and laptop screen...

Last edited by Agilato, Aug 15, 2019
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There have been at least a couple portable monitors made that support Switch TV out. Coincidentally, Switch and Samsung Dex have the same requirements for TV out, and this support is just one step further than generic MyDP (SlimPort) support used by many smartphones, tablets and laptops, so it makes sense for companies to build that functionality right into the screen.
    But no guarantees on whether it's safe to use with the Switch.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Aug 15, 2019
  7. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    USB 3.1 spec includes DisplayPort. Technically any USB-C monitor should work but in practice i'm not sure if Horizon OS expects a certain DP --> HDMI converter to actually switch to external output. If not then any external LCD with USB-C input should work.

8. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Explain.