Hardware Help with Kiosk Switch

rookiesearcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I have a v2 switch, and wanted something to mod. I thought I would save a little bit of money by buying a Nintendo switch that was broken, and fixing it to use. Bought the switch, it didn't turn on, like advertised. I replaced the battery today, and plugged it in. I didn't put it in my dock, just unplugged the charger and put it into the switch. It didn't turn on, and I was heartbroken. I sat it to the side, with a USB-C charger from my phone plugged into it. I completely forgot about, and was playing Smash online for a few hours while it sat there. It got late, and I decided to go to bed. I was contemplating what I would do with the switch, and on a whim put it in my dock. THE GREEN LIGHT TURNED ON! I was ecstatic, I pulled the switch out of my dock, pressed the power button and... nothing. The screen still didn't turn on. I put it back in my dock, and the light turned on again. I left it there for a second, held the power button for a bit, and it displayed to my TV. It's like stuck in this weird mode, where it has a bunch of video demos from the eShop, and you can press a few buttons for it to tell you about the switch. I can't get it to do anything. How can I turn this into a Nintendo switch for gaming to mod? Also, is it because it is a kiosk switch that the screen doesn't display, or do I need to replace the screen?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I have a v2 switch, and wanted something to mod. I thought I would save a little bit of money by buying a Nintendo switch that was broken, and fixing it to use. Bought the switch, it didn't turn on, like advertised. I replaced the battery today, and plugged it in. I didn't put it in my dock, just unplugged the charger and put it into the switch. It didn't turn on, and I was heartbroken. I sat it to the side, with a USB-C charger from my phone plugged into it. I completely forgot about, and was playing Smash online for a few hours while it sat there. It got late, and I decided to go to bed. I was contemplating what I would do with the switch, and on a whim put it in my dock. THE GREEN LIGHT TURNED ON! I was ecstatic, I pulled the switch out of my dock, pressed the power button and... nothing. The screen still didn't turn on. I put it back in my dock, and the light turned on again. I left it there for a second, held the power button for a bit, and it displayed to my TV. It's like stuck in this weird mode, where it has a bunch of video demos from the eShop, and you can press a few buttons for it to tell you about the switch. I can't get it to do anything. How can I turn this into a Nintendo switch for gaming to mod? Also, is it because it is a kiosk switch that the screen doesn't display, or do I need to replace the screen?
If it is a V2 model and a Kiosk model, which it sounds like it is, you will need a modchip to turn it into a normal working Switch, and yes sounds like something mechanical wrong with the screen part. Could be bad LCD screen, could be a simple fix like a ribbon cable loose. Read more about it here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-weird-switch-demo-unit.560877/

Reactions: impeeza

rookiesearcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it is a V2 model and a Kiosk model, which it sounds like it is, you will need a modchip to turn it into a normal working Switch, and yes sounds like something mechanical wrong with the screen part. Could be bad LCD screen, could be a simple fix like a ribbon cable loose. Read more about it here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-weird-switch-demo-unit.560877/
It isn't a v2 switch, it is v1. I guess I might just go about replacing the screen anyway since it has a lot of scratches.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does the backlight light up? If yes, it may be a bad screen ribbon or connector. If not, use a flashlight to shine into the screen and see if you can see any image, which would be indicative of a bad backlight ribbon or connector. Those connectors are a pain to replace. If a ribbon cable is at fault and not the connector, it requires a full disassembly to replace the screen. The touchscreen digitizer is glued in so it's a bit annoying but not as bad as it is with modern smartphones. Some heat from a hairdryer will assist in removing the touchscreen digitizer.

Reactions: BigOnYa

rookiesearcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok in your opening sentence you said it was a v2. If it is not patched then you can possibly softmod it using hekate and run CFW/ Atmosphere. But yeah you would need a operating screen to see Hekate menu. You can check the serial number to see if it is patched. Good luck.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...he-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/
What I meant was my personal switch is a v2. This one is a v1. ismyswitchpatched.com says partially patched. You need the switch to work in handheld for hacking it?
Post automatically merged:

Does the backlight light up? If yes, it may be a bad screen ribbon or connector. If not, use a flashlight to shine into the screen and see if you can see any image, which would be indicative of a bad backlight ribbon or connector. Those connectors are a pain to replace. If a ribbon cable is at fault and not the connector, it requires a full disassembly to replace the screen. The touchscreen digitizer is glued in so it's a bit annoying but not as bad as it is with modern smartphones. Some heat from a hairdryer will assist in removing the touchscreen digitizer.
I'll try the flashlight thing. could you help me with exactly what a digitizer is? What part do I need to look up and buy to get my screen to work, and also replace the scratched bit (the screen) with a new one that isn't scratched. Do I look up replacement Nintendo switch screen? This brings me to clear panels, LCD panels, and who knows what else.

Alright, so I tried the flashlight thing, and it worked. I can faintly see the screen now. So what I need to look for is a nintendo switch v1 screen backlight?

Ok in your opening sentence you said it was a v2. If it is not patched then you can possibly softmod it using hekate and run CFW/ Atmosphere. But yeah you would need a operating screen to see Hekate menu. You can check the serial number to see if it is patched. Good luck.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...he-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/
So, I haven't attempted to mod it yet using pin grounding, I will later today though. I factory reset the switch, and now it boots, says "The software couldn't be started", with an accept option that when pressed restarts the console, turning it into a loop. Before you look disappointed at me and tell me to read that post, yes I did read the whole thing and there really wasn't anything by the way of a guide to tell me what to do, just people asking for code which I had no idea about and somebody providing it. My question is this, if I successfully manage to get this thing into rcm and inject payload, and it works, what then? Do I attempt to keep going as normal? This switch doesn't actually seem to have any sort of operating system on it. Will installing hekate onto it convince the switch that it is a real nintendo switch and it will go into the home screen?

Update: Thank god, this is an unpatched v1. I successfully used TegraRCM to send hekate onto it, and the nintendo switch displayed a QR code, and some text at the top, along with a smiley face. I used https://www.sdsetup.com/ to create the files on the SD card I needed. I copied it all over onto the SD card, and put it into the switch, but nothing happened? Did I do something wrong? And here is what I believe to be a major problem: since the backlight on this nintendo switch doesn't work, and it clearly didn't lead a good life as a kiosk, having many scratches, notable a few deepish ones onto the middle where the QR code is. I can't get anything to read this QR code, given that I had to stack flashlights around it to get it to be even slightly visible. I don't know if the QR code just isn't visible enough, or if the scratches are preventing the camera from recognizing it, or a combination of these two, but something is stopping this QR code from being recognizable to my phone. Is this QR code important? Most of the guides online I found to hack a nintendo switch don't mention this QR code, just that you upload cfw onto the switch and it just works? Does this have any correlation to kiosk mode?

Last edited by rookiesearcher,

rookiesearcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point, I feel like a lone scientist recording updates that will never be seen. But anyway, I'm starting to feel like I should give up on this. Nobody actually has any help to give, they just link that same damn post where nobody actually explains what to do, or troubleshoot, or what could potentially go wrong. If I successfully managed to get this switch to work, I was going to tell people what they needed to do, and actually make some kind of a guide. Sadly, I haven't gotten this thing to ever actually boot into any kind of home screen. I can get it into Hekate, create an emuMMC, and try to start console using fusee.bin, but after that it's a big nope. I believe this has something to do with the Atmosphere file on the SD card, and the burned fuse telling the switch that it is supposed to be in demo mode.

When I tried using the official Atmosphere download from GitHub, the little atmosphere arrow shows up for a brief amount of time, then just black.

When I tried using ZachyCatGames' Atmosphere download from GitHub, the atmosphere logo didn't even show up, just a large array of white with black boxes in it on the left side of the screen briefly, then black. Also, Zach's version of atmosphere is a bit different from the official one. There is the GitHub files which come with things when you download them, which I have tried running Atmosphere with and without these files, to no avail. There is also extra folders, such as stratosphere, troposphere, and others. I'm not entirely sure if those folders are necessary. I am mostly putting this on here as a final statement, and if nothing useful shows up I'll just buy another broken nintendo switch and cannibalize this one for parts. If you see this post because you have a kiosk switch that you want to play on, my advice is to try to hack it, but don't get your hopes up.

Reactions: impeeza

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What I meant was my personal switch is a v2. This one is a v1. ismyswitchpatched.com says partially patched. You need the switch to work in handheld for hacking it?

I'll try the flashlight thing. could you help me with exactly what a digitizer is? What part do I need to look up and buy to get my screen to work, and also replace the scratched bit (the screen) with a new one that isn't scratched. Do I look up replacement Nintendo switch screen? This brings me to clear panels, LCD panels, and who knows what else.

Alright, so I tried the flashlight thing, and it worked. I can faintly see the screen now. So what I need to look for is a nintendo switch v1 screen backlight?

So, I haven't attempted to mod it yet using pin grounding, I will later today though. I factory reset the switch, and now it boots, says "The software couldn't be started", with an accept option that when pressed restarts the console, turning it into a loop. Before you look disappointed at me and tell me to read that post, yes I did read the whole thing and there really wasn't anything by the way of a guide to tell me what to do, just people asking for code which I had no idea about and somebody providing it. My question is this, if I successfully manage to get this thing into rcm and inject payload, and it works, what then? Do I attempt to keep going as normal? This switch doesn't actually seem to have any sort of operating system on it. Will installing hekate onto it convince the switch that it is a real nintendo switch and it will go into the home screen?

Update: Thank god, this is an unpatched v1. I successfully used TegraRCM to send hekate onto it, and the nintendo switch displayed a QR code, and some text at the top, along with a smiley face. I used https://www.sdsetup.com/ to create the files on the SD card I needed. I copied it all over onto the SD card, and put it into the switch, but nothing happened? Did I do something wrong? And here is what I believe to be a major problem: since the backlight on this nintendo switch doesn't work, and it clearly didn't lead a good life as a kiosk, having many scratches, notable a few deepish ones onto the middle where the QR code is. I can't get anything to read this QR code, given that I had to stack flashlights around it to get it to be even slightly visible. I don't know if the QR code just isn't visible enough, or if the scratches are preventing the camera from recognizing it, or a combination of these two, but something is stopping this QR code from being recognizable to my phone. Is this QR code important? Most of the guides online I found to hack a nintendo switch don't mention this QR code, just that you upload cfw onto the switch and it just works? Does this have any correlation to kiosk mode?
hekate doesnt work on tv cause its a rcm payload.

rookiesearcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hekate doesnt work on tv cause its a rcm payload.
I've found that out since now. I can navigate through hekate even with a broken backlight via flashlight, but it's annoying.

Yep
You need a special atmosphere for kiosk versions
It's made by ZachyCatGames from what I can tell. I've gone to his Atmosphere repository and downloaded his Atmosphere version, but that doesn't help, as I said earlier.

Last edited by rookiesearcher,

4A00D7FF

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have a device like that, and the first thing that worked for me was using ReiNX (The software is not updated anymore, so it doesn't support the latest firmwares. It supports 10.0.0 and below if I recall correctly), so if you didn't update it to the latest firmware, you can give it a try.
Also I suggest doing a NAND backup before that, if you haven't already.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My fork is up to date with upstream (1.6.2 at time of writing).

It sounds like you may have downloaded a source zip? You want to download the atmosphere-x.x.x... zip and fusee.bin for the latest release on the releases page: https://github.com/ZachyCatGames/Atmosphere/releases
Extract the zip to your sd card and use fusee.bin as your payload.

I don't test these, but I believe a few people are using it fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto