Hacking Can softmodding and downgrading a wii alter how the wii outputs video?

Orecets

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a sony HD tv, but its 4:3, he has a much nicer several thousand dollar bravia.

I modded his wii at my house by bannerbombing, then downgrading, then installing a few different iso files for backuploader and usb/sd loader to work.

It looked fine at my house, but when I started it up at his place, the colors were off, and the picture wasnt fully stretching to the screen. The overall picture was just kinda muddy, and obviously not normal.

I am hoping this is a common issue and someone might be able to help me without pictures, but next time I need to go see him, ill get a few shots.

Orecets

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a little.

Murky, kinda off.

I thought it might be forcing some kind of display mode, but backuploader's config menu did not help.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Orecets said:
Love you all, thanks and will do.

Yeah, if you're using components at 480p at your house, then he connects to his tv with composites, the Wii will automatically switch to 480i (which he's stuck with unless he gets component cables)... you'll have to set the display back to widescreen too, if you switched it to 4/3 while working on your tv.

Generally speaking, his display will look like crap on his Bravia unless he gets component cables and sets the Wii to 480p and widescreen. It will be significantly sharper and more colorful than composite cables allow.

The only way that you could have really altered the display is if when you downgraded, you switched to PAL. If that's the case, your screen should be black and white and rolling, but there's a minute possibility that both of your tvs support PAL, and your just does the job better than his. To tell for SURE, just hook the Wii up to a regular CRT (not HD) US tv. If you've still got a normal color screen, then we're back to what I think the problem is: your dealer's crappy cables and/or incorrect display settings in the options menu.

Orecets

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imapterodactyl said:
Orecets said:
Love you all, thanks and will do.

Yeah, if you're using components at 480p at your house, then he connects to his tv with composites, the Wii will automatically switch to 480i (which he's stuck with unless he gets component cables)... you'll have to set the display back to widescreen too, if you switched it to 4/3 while working on your tv.

Generally speaking, his display will look like crap on his Bravia unless he gets component cables and sets the Wii to 480p and widescreen. It will be significantly sharper and more colorful than composite cables allow.

The only way that you could have really altered the display is if when you downgraded, you switched to PAL. If that's the case, your screen should be black and white and rolling, but there's a minute possibility that both of your tvs support PAL, and your just does the job better than his. To tell for SURE, just hook the Wii up to a regular CRT (not HD) US tv. If you've still got a normal color screen, then we're back to what I think the problem is: your dealer's crappy cables and/or incorrect display settings in the options menu.

Impressive shit! Appreciate the calories burned typing and thinking that up for me sir.

Orecets

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I looking at an epic mess to fix if that is the case? Will it be as simple as finding a ntsc wad and reinstalling?

Orecets

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you much sir.
grog.gif

Orecets

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The softmodded system in question is on a 3.2u system menu, would upping using wakakino's(sp) 4.0 upgrader upgrade the suspected-to-be-pal files on the wii?

Orecets

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, we smoked this huge ass blunt at his insistence right before I was going to demo how to play shit from the various loaders and ports, and totally lost concentration when it came to looking so bad.

I have component cables on my little crt hdtv, which i believe doesnt even do 480p

Im not sure what cables he has, but he isnt into this sort of stuff, so i would guess he is using the pack in cables. Ill ask.

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
I've just upgraded my cables to component, wow what a difference it makes. Oh did you try and install bootmii as boot2 it may be wise to get a backup just in case theres a mess up while hacking during a session.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As per olliepop, install bootmii first. I've bricked one myself when a system menu install failed half way through

I've seen many posts on here where dope + wii hacking = bricked wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9