Hacking Can Nintendo ban gateway users?

Gurjas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pokemon will likely end up being playable on GateWay. If not immediately, then eventually :)

Really? I'm enthusiastic about the gateway but Nintendo will probably take major precautions for Zelda and Pokemon making 100 % sure they wont be playable or else they would lose millions

Gurjas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This may be out of the question but I'm really disappointed with Nintendo about a link to the past 2 they should of made a game like wind waker a 3d zelda seeing phantom hourglass's design and ocarina of time 3ds engine they could of easily made a 3d zelda :angry:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, they probably won't be able to tell once you update. But they can certainly tell as long as the DS-mode exploit is installed (or the Launcher.dat present on the SD card), but remove those two things and they have no way to tell.

So the answer is yes, they can certainly ban Gateway users. But whether they will or not is another thing. They haven't been known for banning pirates from online, but they could start doing it, who knows.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be out of the question but I'm really disappointed with Nintendo about a link to the past 2 they should of made a game like wind waker a 3d zelda seeing phantom hourglass's design and ocarina of time 3ds engine they could of easily made a 3d zelda :angry:

I felt the same way before, but after watching more about the game, it's getting better!

The only thing that worries me is, the project started out as a 3DS remake of aLttP, but, then they decided to make it unique. I'm just worried that it'll be too similar. The items looks pretty much the same, which, imo, is pretty upsetting. But the 3D graphics should be neat haha!

I can't justify making the purchase, maybe if the game dropped to about 20-25 dollars. But that's just me.

Thank God for Gateway :)

Gurjas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, they probably won't be able to tell once you update. But they can certainly tell as long as the DS-mode exploit is installed (or the Launcher.dat present on the SD card), but remove those two things and they have no way to tell.

So the answer is yes, they can certainly ban Gateway users. But whether they will or not is another thing. They haven't been known for banning pirates from online, but they could start doing it, who knows.

how would you remove the exploit from ds mode?

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

However, you have to remember, if gateway continues to limit the online access, (Or let's say you keep the wifi switch off) you won't be able to be banned, as you won't be connected to the servers in any way.

That's how the PS3 guys do it.

Either stay on Gateway and have fun with backups and whatnot, or upgrade to use online access

Gurjas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I felt the same way before, but after watching more about the game, it's getting better!

The only thing that worries me is, the project started out as a 3DS remake of aLttP, but, then they decided to make it unique. I'm just worried that it'll be too similar. The items looks pretty much the same, which, imo, is pretty upsetting. But the 3D graphics should be neat haha!

I can't justify making the purchase, maybe if the game dropped to about 20-25 dollars. But that's just me.

Thank God for Gateway :)

honestly that drawing mode where link goes around walls will make the game way to easy and your also right the overworld looks really similar hopefully there's completely brand new dungeons and new items

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how would you remove the exploit from ds mode?

I don't think he's taking into account that you'll need wifi access to have the system blocked. Sony's known for their very good security and everything, but they can't ban people using their PS3s while they're not connected to the internet.

I think it's safe to say, if that's the case (Sony's FAR better with security than Nintendo), that Nintendo won't be banning consoles if the user can't access WiFi. It's not possible. Also, take into account that the system doesn't have 'user accounts', or anything of that sort.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly that drawing mode where link goes around walls will make the game way to easy and your also right the overworld looks really similar hopefully there's completely brand new dungeons and new items

I know the overworld and darkworld have been re-designed, minorly, but still, re-designed.

So far, I've seen screenshots and have seen some items, (Ice rod, fire rod, bow, boomarang, hookshot) all of which were in aLttP. So it makes me a tad worried.

However, that said, the game's drawing mechanism should bring something new, which I look forward too!

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they wanted to ban, they would already have banned DS flashcart users.

This^

The only approach they CAN (not will, but can, as in , "are able to") take is performing updates which block/patch exploits and carts and whatnot.

They can place security measures on the newer games, sure, but even so, GateWay holds Kernel access, so, the more the team learns about the hardware of the 3DS, the more they can edit their "Gateway firmware" to bypass the security measures hosted by Nintender.

GateWay has Kernel access, meaning, once they find their way around the console, they can pretty much bypass anything.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
However, you have to remember, if gateway continues to limit the online access, (Or let's say you keep the wifi switch off) you won't be able to be banned, as you won't be connected to the servers in any way.

That's how the PS3 guys do it.

Either stay on Gateway and have fun with backups and whatnot, or upgrade to use online access
I don't think he's taking into account that you'll need wifi access to have the system blocked. Sony's known for their very good security and everything, but they can't ban people using their PS3s while they're not connected to the internet.

I think it's safe to say, if that's the case (Sony's FAR better with security than Nintendo), that Nintendo won't be banning consoles if the user can't access WiFi. It's not possible. Also, take into account that the system doesn't have 'user accounts', or anything of that sort.
The question was whether they can ban you after you update your console and stop using the Gateway. Well, they can.
They can't ban you on the current firmware regardless of whether you're online or not, simply because there is nothing in the current firmware to detect the Gateway. But it could be added to future games.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If they wanted to ban, they would already have banned DS flashcart users.

The Nintendo DS systems did not have the same online structure as the 3DS, what we are all doing is speculation. I am guessing that they can actually ban users when they come online.

I can also see coming that Pokémon and Zelda will need some new feature that only will work on a fresh and new firmware so they can never work on a gateway.(Nintendo will do something for sure)

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question was whether they can ban you after you update your console and stop using the Gateway. Well, they can.
They can't ban you on the current firmware regardless of whether you're online or not, simply because there is nothing in the current firmware to detect the Gateway. But it could be added to future games.

If you update your console, every bit of modding that Gateway's done to the firmware will be changed to stock. No idea why you'd update, but even if you did, they won't be able to ban the console.

And no, they can't ban you on 4.5, if you have the WiFi switch off. It's simply not possible. If you have the WiFi on, maybe, but even then, it's unlikely.

Take it from someone who knows about things c;

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
If you update your console, every bit of modding that Gateway's done to the firmware will be changed to stock. No idea why you'd update, but even if you did, they won't be able to ban the console.

And no, they can't ban you on 4.5, if you have the WiFi switch off. It's simply not possible. If you have the WiFi on, maybe, but even then, it's unlikely.

WiFi switch off means no local play and no StreetPasses either, though. I think most users will probably opt to leave their WiFi on.

Reactions: NEP

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiFi switch off means no local play and no StreetPasses either, though. I think most users will probably opt to leave their WiFi on.

No, WiFi switch = WiFi connection.

If you have it off, you cannot access any WiFi-required features (ie: online gaming, internet browser, etc.).

And most would, but as many from the PS3 scene would tell you, it's not the best idea.

EDIT:

My mistake!! I see what you're saying now! :)

But I think Local-play still works, right? :O

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
No, WiFi switch = WiFi connection.

But I think Local-play still works, right? :O

local play works with the WiFi/Spotpass switch on

the issue is if you 3DS passes a Open WiFi or a open connection crops up near you then it starts downloading the update

nintendo could even implement it so that 3DS's push updates to others so people that dont have a connection can update

hence the reason i have my Gateway Eur 3DS which is Offline (EUR consoles have no banner issues on Gateway), no spotpass, and then my main one (another EUR) which is on the latest straight away to play my games and e-shop
then 4 other spare EUR and 1 spare JAP on various firmwares

best be prepared

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
local play works with the WiFi/Spotpass switch on

the issue is if you 3DS passes a Open WiFi or a open connection crops up near you then it starts downloading the update

nintendo could even implement it so that 3DS's push updates to others so people that dont have a connection can update

hence the reason i have my Gateway Eur 3DS which is Offline (EUR consoles have no banner issues on Gateway), no spotpass, and then my main one (another EUR) which is on the latest straight away to play my games and e-shop
then 4 other spare EUR and 1 spare JAP on various firmwares

best be prepared

Interesting, I hadn't known that! That's news to me! Aw well! I can see why other's would keep their WiFi switch on then.

Eh, if you have your WiFi switch off, it won't work like that.

As stated, if they have their switch off, they can't unless they put it in-cart with game releases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-