Hacking Can Nintendo ban gateway users?

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Have you given them any form of ID whatsoever? If that's the case then I'll have you know that the eShop does hold records of your purchases for fiscal reasons (and in case of such emergencies) but again, those ID variables cannot be used to ban a system. ;)

Why not?

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Have you given them any form of ID whatsoever? If that's the case then I'll have you know that the eShop does hold records of your purchases for fiscal reasons (and in case of such emergencies) but again, those ID variables cannot be used to ban a system. ;)

Thanks for clearing it up Foxi ;3 We shall see soon enough if Nintendo can ban or not, they've created the 2DS monster so I am not surprised if the can ban people who use Gateway.

They needed my console ID for the transfer btw, both systems.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because again, the shop key can in fact be changed - it's generated upon your first connection. If you're a pirate, you're unlikely to use the eShop anyways so you'll hardly be bothered if you lose your "original" key.
They needed my console ID for the transfer btw, both systems.
That clears it up then.

Now, don't get me wrong - I don't think that banning in the event of piracy would be a bad thing. To the contrary - if you haven't paid then don't expect to be eligible to use online services. Honestly people, if you pirate, you should stay offline anyways and if Nintendo devises a banning scheme then good for them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gateway users currently use an outdated firmware. They could just require a system update to play online, when current updates block it.
Gateway also spoofs the firmware revision, making this check entirely useless unless it's very in-depth, but in that case it could still be patched over just like it was on 3.55 PS3's. ;) Where there's a will there's a way, especially when you happen to have kernel level access.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually there is an account! ;) I lost my first 3DS, and Nintendo could actually remove ALL content and placed it on my new 3DS from a distance. They could remove your eshop content, so why not ban a console?

The bastards didn't do that for me when my first Wii fucked up! Son of a... I'm going to email them and complain right now.

William Bernhard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your powers are too strong young one but seriously i hope gateway doesnt work online because i hate seeing perfect pokemon ... but im hoping nintendo cant find any trace of the gateway so they wont ban
Actually it's possible to get perfect IV's/shinies/allwhatyouwantonyourpokemon in a retail cartridge... it's called RNG exploit, it's what is used on the "pro" tiers of pokemon gaming. just saying. but don't confuse my words I'm with you, it's very boring see pokesav/pokegen teams, and the became very obvious when the silly guy doesn't know how play the pokemon they carbon-copied from smogon... but it's incredibly funny see them rage-quitting when you beat their "perfect creations" to the dust

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually it's possible to get perfect IV's/shinies/allwhatyouwantonyourpokemon in a retail cartridge... it's called RNG exploit, it's what is used on the "pro" tiers of pokemon gaming. just saying. but don't confuse my words I'm with you, it's very boring see pokesav/pokegen teams, and the became very obvious when the silly guy doesn't know how play the pokemon they carbon-copied from smogon... but it's incredibly funny see them rage-quitting when you beat their "perfect creations" to the dust

Sure, maybe people who really care use RNGs. But mainly. "I could have done the same thing with an RNG exploit" is just an excuse for pokegen'd teams. If the pokemon is legal, there is no problem with it. You can claim you simply got lucky or spent a lot of time.

Reactions: gamefan5

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Gateway also spoofs the firmware revision, making this check entirely useless unless it's very in-depth, but in that case it could still be patched over just like it was on 3.55 PS3's. ;) Where there's a will there's a way, especially when you happen to have kernel level access.
Nintendo could change the server and then require an update through the eshop to access the new ones.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My honest opinion...

Gateway is a no buy... unless you really want to run pirate games...

• No homebrew support
  • No online play
  • Possibility to get banned
  • not compatible with higher firmwares
  • no idea if will ever be compatible with higher firmwares
  • no gui
Well.. the only positive is that it runs commercial games...

And yes nintendo will ban everyone if they want to... they never did until today, however... if they want to they can.

Fixed.

I don't think they'll be able to ban. Look back at Foxi's post.
They've mentioned they're working on homebrew support. Whether people create homebrew for it, that's a different stort.
They're working on higher firmwares.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
How would nintendo know - gateway does not work online
if you install the gateway exploit and then play a legit game the exploit is gone
next you update off a legit cart to the latest firmware and then go online - i doubt there would be any trace of it left.

Sigh, this is what ticks me off on GBATemp, according to Gateway3DS's website:

- Can you play multiplayer local and mostly online?
Yes, but we advise not to use online features

- Do the game keep internet capacity?

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people keep saying this. It is incredibly stupid.. No shit they can't ban you, but if your wifi switch is off you aren't using online anyway so it makes it a moot point.

Dude, chill out. Knock it off with the insulting swearing. You're being childish...

Listen,

With most hacked consoles nowadays (ie PS3 - or at least when it was 3.55) you couldn't go online. During later CFW updates, you could. But you'd get banned.

You'd be stupid to want to go online with a hacked system of any kind.

Now stop being rude and stop misinterpreting my words. It's not 'moot' it's good advice.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh, this is what ticks me off on GBATemp, according to Gateway3DS's website:

- Can you play multiplayer local and mostly online?

- Do the game keep internet capacity?

The thing is, when me and Devin did the Gateway reviews and tested online, the online gave us both Nintendo error codes (002-0123) so online does not really work yet. Local multiplayer does though.

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, chill out. Knock it off with the insulting swearing. You're being childish...

Listen,

With most hacked consoles nowadays (ie PS3 - or at least when it was 3.55) you couldn't go online. During later CFW updates, you could. But you'd get banned.

You'd be stupid to want to go online with a hacked system of any kind.

Now stop being rude and stop misinterpreting my words. It's not 'moot' it's good advice.
No it still is a moot point. If you keep your wifi switch off it doesn't matter if you are banned or not. Thus it is a moot point to make.

Reactions: NEP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...