Hacking Can Kodi be ported on Wiiu?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, originally XBMC if I am not mistaken isn't WiiMC a port? You could run it on vWii but it's not very feature and I never had good performance with it back in the day.

Amazon firesticks are great for Kodi and an easy install. I recommend the plugins 1chan, genesis and phoenix. It's all you need for film.
Yep! Started out as Xbox Media Player and progressed into XBMC. Then the team made it open source when the original xbox couldn't keep up with the development (HD and such). At that point they made it open source. It grew into Kodi and is the best media player/streamer around! Period!

BTW, if you like genesis you should get the latest release from the same team... "Exodus"

Reactions: KiiWii

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible? Sure, but that doesn't mean it'll happen. It'd be a fair bit of work and there are already affordable solutions for video/audio streaming with other consoles, crappy old laptops, or cheap Rasberry Pis.

bawzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kodi rocks. I know it would be convenient to have it on the WiiU, but chances of that are slim to none (unless the community bounces back one day).

In the meantime, anyone who has an Android phone or tablet can install the newest version of Kodi and watch it there.

If you want it on your TV, you can always get a $50 android tv box on amazon to run Kodi. Those are slick.

RealLatias

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might eventually get to a Kodi project. However, not right now. If anyone wants to attempt it, go right ahead. I'm focused on 5.5.1 for the moment.

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, originally XBMC if I am not mistaken isn't WiiMC a port? You could run it on vWii but it's not very feature and I never had good performance with it back in the day.

Amazon firesticks are great for Kodi and an easy install. I recommend the plugins 1***n, g*****s and p*****x. It's all you need for film.
And pretty much all of those addons distribute copyrighted content... plus one of them has been superseded by a newer version with a completely different name...

Have people forgotten that kodi is mainly a app for playing local media and not just playing content off shady websites? (Usually slow download speeds and a download limit...)

Ripping your purchased movies gives you a MUCH better quality than the encoded files on most websites...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OK. Kodi on WiiU would be strictly amazing.
It would, but doesn't the Wii u have a very slow transfer speed for network content?

That would pretty much make it useless except for content stored on SD card or a USB drive connected directly to the Wii U

Really? I use mine to self host and as a proxy to filter Ninty updates. And DNS server for WiiU. Runs off WiiU usb port. Dont have to rely on tubehax.
I feel that I should mention that DD-WRT or the Tomato router firmware also includes some pretty advanced DNS stuff...

For example, you could block the Nintendo servers ONLY on your Wii U and not your entire network...

Mind you, the same can ALSO be done with the raspberry pi but that wouldn't be needed given the fact that the pi isn't serving the DNS for the entire network like a router is...

Last edited by DanTheMan827,
Reactions: duncanm

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All is in the title ! since kodi has ppc version is it possible to run on the wiiu?

Ever since Xbox Media Center (distributed illegally over xbins and other places) became XBMC and dropped support for the Xbox, they have been slowly going legit. with their Kodi move, I do not see them supporting homebrew enabled game consoles/devices at all with the Apple TV being the last of the homebrew enabled devices which will eventually be phased out also as jailbreak laws can change every year.

Last edited by driverdis,

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever since Xbox Media Center (distributed illegally over xbins and other places) became XBMC and dropped support for the Xbox, they have been slowly going legit. with their Kodi move, I do not see them supporting homebrew enabled game consoles/devices at all with the Apple TV being the last of the homebrew enabled devices which will eventually be phased out also as jailbreak laws can change every year.
Anyone is free to fork Kodi and port it to whatever device they want, the problem is that Team Kodi simply doesn't have enough manpower...

The Apple TV 2 has been unsupported for a while now and the Apple TV 4 is only supported because it officially supports apps... (even though you have to side-load it yourself...)

If anyone wants Kodi on their iOS or tvOS device it's possible without even jailbreaking (although there are restrictions imposed by Apple if you don't pay for a developer account...) just head over to the Kodi forums and go to the iOS section for details

Currently the Wii U has a network speed limitation for homebrew and until that's figured out it would have a very limited use since you'd be tethered to a hard drive with Movies / TV Shows

ddurdle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone is free to fork Kodi and port it to whatever device they want, the problem is that Team Kodi simply doesn't have enough manpower...

The Apple TV 2 has been unsupported for a while now and the Apple TV 4 is only supported because it officially supports apps... (even though you have to side-load it yourself...)

If anyone wants Kodi on their iOS or tvOS device it's possible without even jailbreaking (although there are restrictions imposed by Apple if you don't pay for a developer account...) just head over to the Kodi forums and go to the iOS section for details

Currently the Wii U has a network speed limitation for homebrew and until that's figured out it would have a very limited use since you'd be tethered to a hard drive with Movies / TV Shows

OSMC is available for Apple TV 2. OSMC is just KODI installed with the proper tweaks for performance/etc -- the I know the Pi OSMC is a Debian distro. Why I bring up the Apple TV 2 angle is that even their latest OSMC beta that uses KODI 17 beta 5 is available for Apple TV 2. So it is far from "no support". KODI development isn't about what devices it supports -- they focus on just making the code cross-platform. They do provide direct complied versions to install, but they also rely on third parties to package things up to deploy easier on more devices (OSMC, OpenELEC, etc).

More info here about the Apple TV 2 current KODI, hint, it uses Linux kernel 4.2, and that helps to allow all the standard features to work --> https://osmc.tv/2015/11/osmc-arrives-for-original-apple-tv/

If someone ports the Linux kernel to run on Wii U, it shouldn't be a large issue getting KODI running using a similar method. The biggest issue is that Wii U is PPC and not a lot of Linux developers spend a lot of time getting all the required drivers working good enough. PPC is used in servers like AIX etc -- command line type environments that only have basic graphic displays. And you need a driver that can support hardware acceleration if you want good performance, especially with HD playback.

Last edited by ddurdle,

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OSMC is available for Apple TV 2.

More info here about the Apple TV 2 current KODI, hint, it uses Linux kernel 4.2, and that helps to allow all the standard features to work --> https://osmc.tv/2015/11/osmc-arrives-for-original-apple-tv/
You sure?

Everything I could find on their website points to only the original Apple TV being supported which is a x86 PC with a Core Solo processor and a PCI Express mini slot that can run Mac or Linux... it's essentially a stripped down Mac Mini and you'd probably get more bang for the buck by just getting a used mini-pc

The ATV2 is an ARM based system running an operating system based on iOS (but no official public SDK / App Store)

The ATV3 is the same story but it was never jailbroken

The ATV4 is also ARM based but has a OS that fully and officially supports apps and has a App Store (only the first OS version was jailbroken)

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country

Amazon firesticks are great for Kodi and an easy install. I recommend the plugins 1chan, genesis and phoenix. It's all you need for film.
Actually originally XBMP way back in 2002 when it was first released. It evolved into XBMC then was renamed to Kodi shortly after the devs dropped Xbox support.

ddurdle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually originally XBMP way back in 2002 when it was first released. It evolved into XBMC then was renamed to Kodi shortly after the devs dropped Xbox support.

It wasn't really about dropping support for XBOX that the name changed. It was so that it disassociated from "hacking and piracy" scene. No real funding can be achieved for a foundation that has a name that indicate's it's foundation was a replacement for XBOX software.

You sure?

Everything I could find on their website points to only the original Apple TV being supported which is a x86 PC with a Core Solo processor and a PCI Express mini slot that can run Mac or Linux... it's essentially a stripped down Mac Mini and you'd probably get more bang for the buck by just getting a used mini-pc

The ATV2 is an ARM based system running an operating system based on iOS (but no official public SDK / App Store)

The ATV3 is the same story but it was never jailbroken

The ATV4 is also ARM based but has a OS that fully and officially supports apps and has a App Store (only the first OS version was jailbroken)
Yes, you are right. 1st generation. I was downloading an updated version the other week and was caught off by the apple tv and must have thought it was ATV2.

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't really about dropping support for XBOX that the name changed. It was so that it disassociated from "hacking and piracy" scene. No real funding can be achieved for a foundation that has a name that indicate's it's foundation was a replacement for XBOX software.
Sadly, due to the piracy addons like exodus Kodi is once again gaining a bad reputation to the point of Amazon removing them from their app store because of piracy...

Kodi isn't on the Apple App Store for the simple fact that apple doesn't allow anything to run that isn't part of the app or javascript...

the Kodi add-ons are made with python so if Kodi wanted to get on the Apple App Store they'd essentially have to strip it down to the level of MrMC (which is more less Kodi but with a different name and by a different development team)

And also, xbmc was renamed to Kodi more so because the name was based off "Xbox Media Center"

Here's a write-up

https://kodi.tv/introducing-kodi-14/

v18 of Kodi will actually include what I'm pretty sure is a front-end for libretro emulator cores so that's a very cool feature! (although a little odd in a media player...)

ddurdle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sadly, due to the piracy addons like exodus Kodi is once again gaining a bad reputation to the point of Amazon removing them from their app store because of piracy...

Kodi isn't on the Apple App Store for the simple fact that apple doesn't allow anything to run that isn't part of the app or javascript...

the Kodi add-ons are made with python so if Kodi wanted to get on the Apple App Store they'd essentially have to strip it down to the level of MrMC (which is more less Kodi but with a different name and by a different development team)

And also, xbmc was renamed to Kodi more so because the name was based off "Xbox Media Center"

Here's a write-up

https://kodi.tv/introducing-kodi-14/

v18 of Kodi will actually include what I'm pretty sure is a front-end for libretro emulator cores so that's a very cool feature! (although a little odd in a media player...)

There is MrMC which is a fork that removes python and addon-ons, so it's in the app store. Never tried it because the player is useless to me if I can't stream my files from my cloud accounts like Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive, etc.

The gaming integration promises to be interesting to say the least. I've seen demonstrations of it where you can "rewind" your game. Like a quick way to undo a move that led to your death in a game :)

All I've used so far is the retroplayer plugin for KODI (OSMC in this instance) that simply load emulationstation. Not true integration like that coming in v18.

Last edited by ddurdle,

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kodi on WiiU would be good just to prove that it can be done, but not very practical compared to raspberry..
WiiU is loud and not nearly as energy efficient as raspberry..
And what are you going to do when WiiU becomes obsolete? Going to hope that devs start making kodi for Switch?..
It is better to just keep kodi on raspberry.. When raspberry goes obsolete, a new one comes out (1, 2, and now 3).. When 3 gets too crappy, they will make raspberry 4..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: