Hardware Can I make a wbfs partition that is not at the beginning?

lilbro

Active Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
44
Trophies
0
XP
81
Country
United States
I want to skip the first 20 GB of my external hard drive. I tried filling the drive with a standard windows partioon and making another one for wbfs after it but none of the USB loader would see it.

Is there a way to have multiple partions seen individually by the usbloader or a way to simply allocate starting from 20 GB in on a raw drive?

I am trying to section off some damaged sectors.
 

qwertymodo

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
827
Trophies
0
Age
34
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
520
Country
United States
It totally depends on the loader, but honestly, WBFS partitions are obsolete and wasteful. Go with FAT32 or NTFS. NTFS can handle full .iso files and FAT32 requires you to convert to .wbfs files, which gives you the ability to scrub the images and split them to fit within FAT32's 4gb file size limit. Again, support for these is up to the loader, but most of the good ones handle both just fine (WiiFlow FTW
yaywii.gif
)
 

churkus

Member
Newcomer
Joined
May 27, 2006
Messages
21
Trophies
0
XP
210
Country
lilbro said:
I want to skip the first 20 GB of my external hard drive. I tried filling the drive with a standard windows partioon and making another one for wbfs after it but none of the USB loader would see it.

Is there a way to have multiple partions seen individually by the usbloader or a way to simply allocate starting from 20 GB in on a raw drive?

I am trying to section off some damaged sectors.
FWIW I have my HD setup with partition 1 primary active FAT32 (triifocre usage) partition 2 primary WBFS and Cfg loader sees it fine. all works.
 

zizer

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2010
Messages
2,036
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
167
Country
qwertymodo said:
It totally depends on the loader, but honestly, WBFS partitions are obsolete and wasteful. Go with FAT32 or NTFS. NTFS can handle full .iso files and FAT32 requires you to convert to .wbfs files, which gives you the ability to scrub the images and split them to fit within FAT32's 4gb file size limit. Again, support for these is up to the loader, but most of the good ones handle both just fine (WiiFlow FTW
yaywii.gif
)

i use ntfs and cfg loader don't work with iso >4gb and i use wbfs with ntfs
 

Hielkenator

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2010
Messages
4,210
Trophies
0
XP
679
Country
Netherlands
Just make 2 partitions....

I weep...My drive was destoyed by a "little" hickup in my WBFS formatted drive....
Trying to repair it, made it just worse...

Formatting to FAT 32...keeps crashing...1TB worth of S**T.!

Trying Hdd Regenerator...keep you posted.
No more WBFS anymore for me....!
 

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2009
Messages
2,204
Trophies
0
Location
Sol III
XP
458
Country
Gambia, The
Hielkenator said:
I weep...My drive was destoyed by a "little" hickup in my WBFS formatted drive....
Formatting to FAT 32...keeps crashing...1TB worth of S**T.!
sounds like defect HW

while wbfs sucks for various reasons is should not be able to destroy drives
even intentional thats not an easy thing to do
the problem is much more likely physical shock or manufacturing flaws

send it in under Warranty (unless you dropped/hit/kicked/... it)
 

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
5,135
Trophies
1
Location
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
2,972
Country
Antarctica
He is probably refering to his FAT32 formatting failing on a 1TB.

You can only format upto 128GB with FAT32 from any windows XP or higher, anything bigger than 128GB you need a custom formater.

I upload the FAT32 format tool here:
http://filetrip.net/f22906-GUI-FAT32format-1-0.html (GUI version)
http://filetrip.net/f22905-FAT32format-1-05.html (command line version)

You will be able to format upto 1TB in FAT32 with these.

If your using USB loader, it will read whatever drive contains the games. Even if it is the second partion.
 

Inpression

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jun 19, 2007
Messages
58
Trophies
1
XP
299
Country
United States
I used Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2009 to divide a 1TB USB drive, 1 NTFS, 1 FAT32 and 1 WBFS partitions, in this order. For the WBFS partition, kept the allotted space as unformatted and did it on the Wii with CFG USB Loader. Haven't had a problem so far, and WBFS is convenient for the auto scrubbing.
 

rigsbynation

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
16
Trophies
0
XP
26
Country
how_do_i_do_that said:
He is probably refering to his FAT32 formatting failing on a 1TB.

You can only format upto 128GB with FAT32 from any windows XP or higher, anything bigger than 128GB you need a custom formater.

I upload the FAT32 format tool here:
http://filetrip.net/f22906-GUI-FAT32format-1-0.html (GUI version)
http://filetrip.net/f22905-FAT32format-1-05.html (command line version)

You will be able to format upto 1TB in FAT32 with these.

If your using USB loader, it will read whatever drive contains the games. Even if it is the second partion.
Wrong size limits, its much lower. Windows XP will format fat32 upto 32gb, no higher. In fact saying that, pretty sure its the same in all versions of Windows including 7. I use gui fat too, works a treat.

Why is anybody using wbfs now? Fat32 for the full drive, then it can be used in any homebrew apps, all your games, plus any pc stuff without having to set aside preset drive size limits which could end up annoying you. Like when wbfs was mainstream, I used to hate running out of space on my fat partition, meanwhile having a load of space there reserved for wii games, but with more than enough games on, but just loads of empty space.
1 partition is all you need.
 

Hielkenator

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2010
Messages
4,210
Trophies
0
XP
679
Country
Netherlands
how_do_i_do_that said:
He is probably refering to his FAT32 formatting failing on a 1TB.

You can only format upto 128GB with FAT32 from any windows XP or higher, anything bigger than 128GB you need a custom formater.

I upload the FAT32 format tool here:
http://filetrip.net/f22906-GUI-FAT32format-1-0.html (GUI version)
http://filetrip.net/f22905-FAT32format-1-05.html (command line version)

You will be able to format upto 1TB in FAT32 with these.

If your using USB loader, it will read whatever drive contains the games. Even if it is the second partion.

No i had no problems formatting.
Western digital provides a tool on there website.
WHY THE HELL DO YOU MAKE IT MORE DIFFICULT THAN IT IS.
Any way My Drive came Formatted as FAT 32.

As a matter of fact Win XP only allows formatting to exFAT.

Wbfs file system screwed up. 2nd time
Resulting in delays and damaged clusters.
Also This is my 3rd 1TB drive from WD.

I am very very carefull with my drives.
 

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    All of us lol
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol they exist?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    These videos are soooo dry
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

    Untitled2.png
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme