Hacking Calling Nintendo to get unbanned. Has worked for you?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't really care if you cheated or not, they care that you're messing with the game in a manner that it wasn't intended, and (it seems) they have a way of detecting that. This is a risk you take with altering ANY game and playing it online (cheating or not) or even hacking the system to begin with. All of my exploited consoles, I've effectively written off as being not online playable. If I can still, cool, but if a ban drops on me, I won't be surprised by it, or even try and argue with them about it. You've broken their TOS, they have the right to ban you from online play for doing so.

Last edited by dubbz82,

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They don't really care if you cheated or not, they care that you're messing with the game in a manner that it wasn't intended, and (it seems) they have a way of detecting that. This is a risk you take with altering ANY game and playing it online (cheating or not) or even hacking the system to begin with. All of my exploited consoles, I've effectively written off as being not online playable. If I can still, cool, but if a ban drops on me, I won't be surprised by it, or even try and argue with them about it. You've broken their TOS, they have the right to ban you from online play for doing so.
While that may be true, however, surely Nintendo can provide an alternative harsh slap on the wrist temporary ban for first offenses (i.e. banning you from Splatoon for 6 months is pretty good... if they do it again, then whip out the permaban). It appears that all of Nintendo's recent game bans for first offences have been instant permabans. This is an incredibly harsh penalty and considering there are a great number of users who have been loyal supporters of Nintendo for years and years, for them to receive such a ban for a one off wrongdoing is just insane.

If you're wondering what is the likelihood of someone who receives a ban is going to participate in disrupting online play for the second time, I don't have that answer. But it seems like a good amount of users who have messed with online play and received a ban for it (whether temporary or permanent) are definitely going to think twice about what they do to other players online. That is just my opinion.

Last edited by HaloEffect17,
Reactions: wsquan171

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While that may be true, however, surely Nintendo can provide an alternative harsh slap on the wrist temporary ban for first offenses (i.e. banning you from Splatoon for 6 months is pretty good... if they do it again, then whip out the permaban). It appears that all of Nintendo's recent game bans for first offences have been instant permabans. This is an incredibly harsh penalty and considering there are a great number of users who have been loyal supporters of Nintendo for years and years, for them to receive such a ban for a one off wrongdoing is just insane.

If you're wondering what is the likelihood of someone who receives a ban is going to participate in disrupting online play for the second time, I don't have that answer. But it seems like a good amount of users who have messed with online play and received a ban for it (whether temporary or permanent) are definitely going to think twice about what they do to other players online. That is just my opinion.

IMO, that's kinda an entitled viewpoint. You mucked with their game and you're still using it on their servers. Pretty black and white to me.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IMO, that's kinda an entitled viewpoint. You mucked with their game and you're still using it on their servers. Pretty black and white to me.
Eh, to each his own... I'm picking on Nintendo for their recent push to issue instant permabans mainly because I'm also sick and tired of how they approach bans for their other services. Miiverse violations were never met with a permaban for first offenses (at least from what I heard), and in some cases these warnings would be enough to deter users for participating in such activity again. Yeah, you can make the argument disrupting Miiverse is entirely different than disrupting online play (I'd be in agreement as well to say that the latter is more infuriating), but I find it hypocritical of Nintendo for issuing bans of varying degrees for their services whether it's online play or Miiverse. It's like they're not taking a firm stance. To me, the intent of mucking with a game is conceptually the same as mucking with a service, and yet, Nintendo chooses to having differing bans for both.

If you're going to issue preliminary temporary bans for Miiverse, at least keep it consistent with the bans you issue for Splatoon and your other first-party online titles. So, a user mucks with online play... ban the guy for 6 months to a year, but don't just permaban them right off the bat. Nintendo I feel is better than that, and while other companies have also taken the same approach, I can't help myself from saying that it's just simply too harsh of a penalty to stomach.

Edit: And I don't endorse Nintendo for personally looking into the degree to which the user mucked with the game (i.e. whether it was a simple colorizer or that they actually sped up the speed of their character... I'm using Splatoon as an example). Nintendo doesn't need the burden of actually going lengths to figure out what exactly they did. So, why not just have a 6-month temporary ban hammer to coat all these instances, and permaban them later if they participate in these acts of wrongdoing again? Give users a sliver of a chance to right themselves... that's all I'm saying.

Reactions: Quantumcat

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
when yu get banned on xbox or playstation its always a permaban too so yeah its nothing new people should know better than using hacks online.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
when yu get banned on xbox or playstation its always a permaban too so yeah its nothing new people should know better than using hacks online.
And that's exactly what I was alluding to in my last post... you see others incorporating these banning one and done (permaban) practices. But Nintendo I find can take the higher moral ground and be one of those companies that actually gives gamers a chance to redeem themselves. If they allow temporary bans for Miiverse, why not for their first-party online games? Perhaps I'm too lenient, but I'm a firm believer of users getting a second chance after serving a long penalty for their misbehaviour (like I proposed, if you waited 6 months to play Splatoon again, you ought to be able to resume playing). If they screw up again, permaban them then (good riddance)... use the temporary ban as a sieve to separate the users who are now sincere about abiding to fair play and those who continue to be dicks.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
And that's exactly what I was alluding to in my last post... you see others incorporating these banning one and done (permaban) practices. But Nintendo I find can take the higher moral ground and be one of those companies that actually gives gamers a chance to redeem themselves. If they allow temporary bans for Miiverse, why not for their first-party online games? Perhaps I'm too lenient, but I'm a firm believer of users getting a second chance after serving a long penalty for their misbehaviour (like I proposed, if you waited 6 months to play Splatoon again, you ought to be able to resume playing). If they screw up again, permaban them then (good riddance)... use the temporary ban as a sieve to separate the users who are now sincere about abiding to fair play and those who continue to be dicks.
Especially because a lot of the people using hacks are kids who don't really understand the possible consequences, and if you ban them then you have lost a lifetime customer. Whereas a temporary ban will drive home that is a bad idea to hack, and hopefully they won't have learned to hate you from the experience and will still buy your products.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Especially because a lot of the people using hacks are kids who don't really understand the possible consequences, and if you ban them then you have lost a lifetime customer. Whereas a temporary ban will drive home that is a bad idea to hack, and hopefully they won't have learned to hate you from the experience and will still buy your products.

If you don't issue permanent bans then it's very difficult to have any consequences.
I doubt that they care that a hacker hates them or will never buy anything from them again.

Maybe the dumb kids will learn from the mistakes of those who get banned.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If you don't issue permanent bans then it's very difficult to have any consequences.
I doubt that they care that a hacker hates them or will never buy anything from them again.

Maybe the dumb kids will learn from the mistakes of those who get banned.
If they know the next time is permanent then it's a good lesson and they will know the consequences as they just experienced it (being banned).
And I'm sure they do care - a ten year old could have a good 20-30 more years buying their stuff. And remember that the bans aren't because of piracy. Most kids probably owned the game (in fact I'd go as far as to say all did - this is back in July and all there was was Loadiine for piracy, with no online play. The pirates would have been playing offline only).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Scoop111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's absolutely unbelievable how people have the guts to complain about Nintendo's service, even when they know that they did something completely wrong.
You manipulate a game in any way, you get banned to protect other players and Nintendo's interests.
From an economical point of view it doesn't pay off for them to discuss anything with cheaters. That would require to hire a bunch of additional employees who just deal with those cases and paying them would cost Nintendo more than losing a customer, who has already proven to rather go the hacking way and from whom they would very likely not earn any money in the future, but who could easily cause them more trouble. Which company would throw out money for something that is only caused by the intentional misbehaviour of bad customers just to give them another chance??

Btw, aside from dumb kids, there is another reason on a greater scale for all companies to only work with instant permbans. Otherwise it would be easy for let's say Sony to have some people hired who are only busy sabotating MS Gaming-Servers to lower the online-experience and have the customer switch to their own network...

Reactions: Deleted User

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
yo big N, i cheated big time on your servers, ruined people game, got all your games for free but WFT you banned me ??!!!

Can u unban me then i can cheat over again and pirate all your stuff as well ?? pleeeeassseeee big N

Last edited by tomazzzi,

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
and paying them would cost Nintendo more than losing a customer, who has already proven to rather go the hacking way
How do you know that because Nintendo had detected a player hacking for the first time, that they will forever inherently be hackers that continue to mess with online play? That's just akin to a more ludicrous example such as a guy who walks into a game store and buys one N64 game is proven to always be an N64 player... lol. I picked a gaming parallel off the top of head, but I could have picked a more feasible example.

Regardless, you will never know people's intentions just by a one-off incident that Nintendo happened to catch. Who knows whether they'd turn over a new leaf or not? And you claim that it costs far too much for Nintendo to waste time and find out? Sure, I get your point from an economic lens, but if corporate and capital greed wasn't the centerpiece of their business model (which it probably isn't), they'd spare this one and only incident concerning banning and give their players a chance to redeem themselves after waiting half a year with a ban.

Reactions: Quantumcat
D

Deleted User

Regardless, you will never know people's intentions just by a one-off incident that Nintendo happened to catch. Who knows whether they'd turn over a new leaf or not? And you claim that it costs far too much for Nintendo to waste time and find out? Sure, I get your point from an economic lens, but if corporate and capital greed wasn't the centerpiece of their business model (which it probably isn't), they'd give their players a chance to redeem themselves after waiting half a year with a ban.
And who's to say they never change? Nintendo has to think for their bottom line, not with their heart. They aren't yours or anybody's friend. You should expect nothing more from them

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And who's to say they never change?
Well yeah, there's that, too. And I agree with you that a video game company can never fully be on the player's side, despite their efforts to put on this illusion that they are. Interesting conversation, though... I'm glad we could all talk about this in a civil manner.

Reactions: Deleted User

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You modified the running memory of a game online and the server's detected it. I hope the ban taught you not to tamper whilst on multiplayer servers. M$ would have permabanned your console and account and gladly kept all your purchases. At least Nintendo will let you use your account on other machines.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You modified the running memory of a game online and the server's detected it. I hope the ban taught you not to tamper whilst on multiplayer servers. M$ would have permabanned your console and account and gladly kept all your purchases. At least Nintendo will let you use your account on other machines.
this, both microsoft and sony ban your console from ever using their servers and we got people here winning they got banned on a single game.

Reactions: elBenyo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up