Hacking buying 3ds XL

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im considering buying a 3ds XL, but as wondering what i'd need in order to use a flash card

- 3ds XL (below 9.2?)
- Sky3DS / Gateway (it seems both have different colour cards?)
Micro SD (What size/brand/class?)

what else?

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Internal SD card if you want to install Cia

As far as a microSD goes, I got a Kingston Class 10 64gb card, and it allowed me to fit all the games I have.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
What is an Internal SD card? And what are/do CIA files?

Standard size SD card, you know, one of these:
sd-card.jpeg
Cia files get installed on your 3DS, like the digital games you'd purchase off of the eShop.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SD comes standard with the XL.

The FW version doesn't matter, if you're under 9.2 you can use both gateway and sky3ds if above 9.2 only sky3ds works.

Sky3ds red card had a fake limitation of 10 games but there's a workaround but unless it's much cheaper go with sky3ds blue card instead.

GW red card is the 3ds one the blue gw card is a ds card used to load the exploit if you choose to downgrade your firmware to 4.5 (it's useless if you don't downgrade).

You need a micro SD card for gw/sky, the best you can afford is advisable in case it doesn't come included.

Don't forget to consider which games are you actually going to play. If you plan to play 2 or 3 specific titles at most maybe you could go legit for used 3ds games come cheap.

Still, nintendo does sales at their eshop.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
3ds has youtube.

Other than that you're hanging on a homebrew movie player, not sure if there's one.

Running homebrew doesn't depend on a specific flashcart, you don't need a flashcart at all it's just about running 3ds on a version which doesn't block homebrew.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
128gb doesnt work since you said 64gb for the microsd card?

128gb works IIRC, but if you trim your roms you can fit around 30 quality roms in a 64gb sd card. Also if you have a big internal SD cards you can install CIAs which saves some space on the microSD.

Reactions: cvskid

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
128gb works IIRC, but if you trim your roms you can fit around 30 quality roms in a 64gb sd card. Also if you have a big internal SD cards you can install CIAs which saves some space on the microSD.
Cool. Unlike ds roms i was afraid it was a problem trimming 3ds roms since i heard something about save files/saving not working with trimmed 3ds roms.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Cool. Unlike ds roms i was afraid it was a problem trimming 3ds roms since i heard something about save files/saving not working with trimmed 3ds roms.

Yea, I stumbled upon this issue as well, but it seems to affect only Card2 type roms. Card1 type are unaffected and can be trimmed without issues.

EDIT: To be more precise, it's not a save issue, if you try trimming a Card2 type game it won't boot at all. This seems to be a temporary issue which will no doubt be fixed with the new NDSTokyoTrim release.

Reactions: cvskid

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I own a 32 gb Kingston class 10 SD card with 33 games installed and about 60 virtual console games and still have about 5 gb left. ROM'S are far inferior to cia files in every way!

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, im going with a 32Gb one. But now i got another issue. I need an Loader or something to put files on the Micro SD / large SD, i suppose? Or only MicroSD? if so, i can get a package for 30 euro, which includes an ''Micro SD adapter'' Is that what I need?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up