Hacking buying 3ds XL

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok i got my Console, gateway, USB, MicroSD, but how do I install gateway?

is the install method different for different Firmwares? Mines on 9.0.0-20E

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also, stupid question maybe, but how do i get the SD card out lol? There is a thingy on the XL that says SD, but im afraid to break it open

BRadGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why would I need to downgrade?

If you're scared of messing up your system, you don't "need" to downgrade. It just allows an offline exploit, and features can be implemented to help prevent accidental updates from happening to the system firmware. Also, that SD cover is very durable. You just peal it off and push on the SD card to eject it.

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it dangerous to downgrade? Also, once gateway is installed, will i still be able to put in Retail DS/ 3DS carts into the system?

Can you give me a good guide how to downgrade and to install GW

BRadGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use the official guide PDF on Gateway-3ds's website. Also use this guide:

It's okay to downgrade, but the process is very sensitive. Do a lot of research and cover all bases before even trying it. The worst case scenario is to brick your 3ds. Also, back up your sysNAND. MrMario2011 also has a lot of other videos you can use with the official PDF.

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yikes, sounds dangerous...

Do first install Gateway, or first downgrade?

Is installing gateway as dangerous as downgrading?

BRadGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
first install gateway on 9.2 or lower by using the browser exploit, install emuNAND if you want to get comfortable using gateway, maybe back up a game of your own, etc. MrMario2011 has a ton of walkthroughs that will help with it. Then follow that guide for downgrading.

Is installing gateway as dangerous as downgrading?

Installing it is actually relatively easy. Just make sure you don't accidently update the sysNAND firmware. What makes the downgrade so sensitive is that you need to make sure that you are writing the correct sysNAND to your 3ds. Writing a corrupt, or different region file will brick the 3ds. MrMario2011 uses a program called MD5 Checker to make sure that the correct file is used, and that it isn't corrupt. And you need to make sure the 3ds does not lose power during the sysNAND write.

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ive gotten to the point of backing up Sysnam, but the mario guys says to turn off the 3DS, extract the backup from the SD, turn the system back on (and i suppose redo the process with the browser) but how can i safely turn it off? im still at the gateway menu, and there seems no way to turn it off

Also, when i skip that, i go to launch gateway mode, and it says there is no cart inserted (obviously, since he didnt tell me to) should the MicroSD also be in the red cart? (and does it need to be formatted)

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
1. Make a NAND backup and copy it to your PC then re-insert your SD card into your 3DS. Keep the NAND backup on your SD card since youll need it for downgrading.
2. Downgrade by using the correct files for your region from GWs site.
3. Once you downgraded install the DS profile with the blue card.
4. Make an emunand partition via the GW menu.
5. Unlink emunand and sysnand by formatting your 3DS, but be sure to remove your SD card before you format your 3DS.
6. Make 3 manual fake connections in your sysnand system settings.
7. Update your emunand following a proper guide.

If you follow these steps you are good to go.

BRadGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He tells you to copy the sysNAND to somewhere else (your computer, a HDD, etc) so that it is around for in the case that the system has to be recovered.

Those list of things are also in the official PDF in more detail. I still plan to make 3 manual fake connections.

Decided i will not downgrade for now.

It's not 100% required to do, just convenient for booting gateway without an internet connection. Just remember that ~9.2 game saves will not be recognized after a 4.x downgrade. So you may want to make up your mind before any valuable saves are made.

Also, the console SD card must be Fat32, and it is recommended that the microSD card (red cart) should be formatted to exFat (because of games 4gb+). You can right click to get a format option from my computer on windows.

BRadGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there anything i cant do when not downgrading?

Blue card support, fake internet connections, DS profile exploit (non-browser, non-internet relying), etc. Those are the big features. The biggest reason for anyone to downgrade is to ensure that the browser exploit doesn't go offline at any point, or get shut down by nintendo, etc.

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok say that i will downgrade, i supposidly need to download a downgrade file from Gateway site. I bought my 3DS at a dutch store, so it should be Europe. But is there a way to comfirm?

And last question, Ill probably do the Downgrade/EmuNAND tomorrow with a fresh head, but can i still regardless of what SysNAND or EmuNAND play my Physical DS (old) carts? (I asume to get saved on the cart itself, and thus cant get corrupted?)

What is Blue card support, fake internet connections btw?

The pdf tells me to use a empty SD card for EmuNAND, which I don't have.. So i can't install EmuNAND?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good