Bumping old Threads

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let's say there's an old thread about, I don't know. . . cigarette smoking. (There's an ashtray in front of me, so I just chose whatever.) And the question is. . uhm, fuck. I 'unno, "is it true Video Games help you quit smoking?" (just to choose something specific.)

And this thread is from like, December 2010, right, and someone bumps it and says "nah, it's not true" and someone's like "uhm lol plz dont bump old topics kthx". . . is it true if that person then makes a new thread about a similar subject, someone will say "Why the fuck didn't you use the search bar, dumb-ass, there's already a topic about this."? Or because it's so old, will people be like "ah wtv it's all gooodd".

?

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The staff actually had a talk about this not long ago.

The way we see it, if a topic is bumped even after a lull as long as two years, with a legitimate addition to the thread we plan to leave it alone, and let the thread be resurrected. This at least shows the initiative of a person to search before making a new thread.
However, a two year old topic bumped with "Duz it wurk yet" and similar useless comments are highly frowned upon.
Making a new topic after, (for example) six months may be allowed, but at times we may redirect the talk to an older thread if the old thread has information that could be useful to the person making the new thread.

It's all a matter of context, and where the better information resides.

CherrySkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
So deep... xD
Most people rage about necrobumping. And I doubt that someone would rage a lot after creating a new thread that is similar to a very old one... They are lazy and don't even know that there are very older threads
laugh.gif

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Vulpes Abnocto said:

The way we see it, if a topic is bumped even after a lull as long as two years, with a legitimate addition to the thread we plan to leave it alone, and let the thread be resurrected. This at least shows the initiative of a person to search before making a new thread.
However, a two year old topic bumped with "Duz it wurk yet" and similar useless comments are highly frowned upon.
Making a new topic after, (for example) six months may be allowed, but at times we may redirect the talk to an older thread if the old thread has information that could be useful to the person making the new thread.

So just common sense really....

But i do find that the search on this site is pretty primitive and limiting....

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Wizzerzak said:
Vulpes Abnocto said:

So just common sense really....

But i do find that the search on this site is pretty primitive and limiting....
Use Google with the search tag "site:gbatemp.net" in front of your search and it should dig up all the threads that are relevant to your potential topic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up