Gaming What does it take to be a "gamer?"

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
OP
Trophies
Country
United States
This might've probably not a good idea to ask this, but I'm gonna say it anyways.

I'm asking this question because I've met other people from school, and old discord servers that've said that, "to be a gamer, you must play all kinds of games whether it's Retro or not. You also gotta be skillful at them so you don't look bad." If you're sticking to like, one genre or something, then that doesn't really make you a true gamer."

I don't believe in this at all-- especially the second point, "you also gotta be skillful at them so you don't look bad." if that were the case, then I probably wouldn't be playing video games anymore cause I use tools like save states (I've already covered this before about your opinions on the use of it), fast forwarding and rewinding and those guys wouldn't like that at all. Granted, it changes how the game was originally intended to play, but I call these sessions, casual sessions, and I play the game how it's originally intended to fill out my Backloggd.

While I may not be a gamer in favor of those eyes, what it takes to be a gamer in my opinion, is simply having the enjoyment of playing the games you love whether you like them or not, even if you have a slight taste in them. There's a reason why people say that they love Underrated games, too. Even only playing visual novel-like games like Ace Attorney or critical thinkimg puzzle games like
Professor Laytom makes you a gamer. You can be a gamer in many different ways that I simply can't explain all of them in this Fourm. As long as you're finding enjoyment playing the games you try out, makes you automatically a gamer.

But now it's time to ask: What does it take to be a gamer in YOUR eyes? Do you follow similar principles as me? or do you have a different set in your mind? If anything doesn't make sense or you need more clarification, please let me know.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Gamer socks for sure, so write that down...

20230618_035450.jpg

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Veho said it best, the only thing that you need to do to qualify as a gamer is "play games", period. Don't need to be good at them, don't need to play all genres, don't need to play them every second of free time. As long as you play games and enjoy it as a hobby, you're a gamer, even if it's just phone games or web games or whatever else.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In most cases, you need a GAMING Device, or a sufficient PC. :D

Then the will to die many, many times :tpi:

Last edited by AncientBoi,

YeOldBarney

Newcomer
Trophies
Boy you turn me inside out; 'round and round!
Website
doyouliveinthe.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What does it take to be a "gamer"? That you play video games as a hobby (or one of your hobbies).
That's it.
Everything else is fluff.
You must also enjoy video game music too, obviously. And then ramble to your friends about every new game coming out which you got access to early... :rofl2:

Reactions: AncientBoi

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Gamer socks for sure, so write that down...

View attachment 390234
Those are programmer socks.
This might've probably not a good idea to ask this, but I'm gonna say it anyways.

I'm asking this question because I've met other people from school, and old discord servers that've said that, "to be a gamer, you must play all kinds of games whether it's Retro or not. You also gotta be skillful at them so you don't look bad." If you're sticking to like, one genre or something, then that doesn't really make you a true gamer."

I don't believe in this at all-- especially the second point, "you also gotta be skillful at them so you don't look bad." if that were the case, then I probably wouldn't be playing video games anymore cause I use tools like save states (I've already covered this before about your opinions on the use of it), fast forwarding and rewinding and those guys wouldn't like that at all. Granted, it changes how the game was originally intended to play, but I call these sessions, casual sessions, and I play the game how it's originally intended to fill out my Backloggd.

While I may not be a gamer in favor of those eyes, what it takes to be a gamer in my opinion, is simply having the enjoyment of playing the games you love whether you like them or not, even if you have a slight taste in them. There's a reason why people say that they love Underrated games, too. Even only playing visual novel-like games like Ace Attorney or critical thinkimg puzzle games like
Professor Laytom makes you a gamer. You can be a gamer in many different ways that I simply can't explain all of them in this Fourm. As long as you're finding enjoyment playing the games you try out, makes you automatically a gamer.

But now it's time to ask: What does it take to be a gamer in YOUR eyes? Do you follow similar principles as me? or do you have a different set in your mind? If anything doesn't make sense or you need more clarification, please let me know.
I'd say it takes playing games that aren't party games or casual mobile trash, and having an interest in them in general. Besides that, I'm not picky.
If all you play is CoD or Fortnite, I will judge you, but I can still accept you as a gamer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto