Repairing botched modding

Orca3306

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got a Japanese Wii from someone that they had taken to someone to mod for them. I have no clue what that person before me was smoking because the homebrew channel launches directly into a version of Wii64 that crashes the console if you do anything.

I tried going to the settings to do a fresh install of the homebrew channel but it gave me a pop up in English saying that it couldn’t connect to an address and to try making sure my internet connection is active. I have worked on a ton of Japanese Wiis in the past and never once gotten this error before. I saw another thread on here from about a decade away suggesting it was a botched attempted at region changing the Wii and to fix it with any region changer. Great fix but like I said, the genius before me didn’t leave the homebrew channel on it so I’m kinda left high and dry. I should also mention all the other text on the console is in Japanese besides the labels for the wad channel the previous person installed

Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I just have to tell him that it’s a lost cause?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I got a Japanese Wii from someone that they had taken to someone to mod for them. I have no clue what that person before me was smoking because the homebrew channel launches directly into a version of Wii64 that crashes the console if you do anything.

I tried going to the settings to do a fresh install of the homebrew channel but it gave me a pop up in English saying that it couldn’t connect to an address and to try making sure my internet connection is active. I have worked on a ton of Japanese Wiis in the past and never once gotten this error before. I saw another thread on here from about a decade away suggesting it was a botched attempted at region changing the Wii and to fix it with any region changer. Great fix but like I said, the genius before me didn’t leave the homebrew channel on it so I’m kinda left high and dry. I should also mention all the other text on the console is in Japanese besides the labels for the wad channel the previous person installed

Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I just have to tell him that it’s a lost cause?
Here's what you wanna do. If you cannot seem to do str2hax, then there's also Letterbomb. Reinstall BootMii as boot2 and install HBC. Install Priiloader for additional brick protection too, that way you don't risk bricking your console for doing risky things such as installing corrupt WADs, region changing or installing themes. Also make sure you connect to the internet and download the latest System Menu. There's even more but I'm not gonna convolute you too much, do be sure to check out https://wii.guide

Orca3306

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what you wanna do. If you cannot seem to do str2hax, then there's also Letterbomb. Reinstall BootMii as boot2 and install HBC. Install Priiloader for additional brick protection too, that way you don't risk bricking your console for doing risky things such as installing corrupt WADs, region changing or installing themes. Also make sure you connect to the internet and download the latest System Menu. There's even more but I'm not gonna convolute you too much, do be sure to check out
I’m well familiar with the guide, I’ve modded well over a hundred Wiis by now. The issue, like I stated initially, is that I can’t access the settings. It’s impossible for me to do the letterbomb method since I need the MAC address to do that. Without access to the settings that’s a little hard to get off the console

(had to remove the link from your post in my quote cause I’m a new user)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe stupid, but worth a try:

Can't do much more than ask a few questions:
How about alternate exploits?
Do legit game discs work? Could you do Smash Stack?

How about Bluebomb? That one should be worth a shot.

because the homebrew channel launches directly into a version of Wii64 that crashes the console if you do anything
??? What ???
Is that some kind of forwarder instead of the HB Channel? Any Wii64 directory containing a boot.dol you could replace with another file?

Orca3306

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe stupid, but worth a try:
  • Extract BootMii files if not already done to SD. BootMii in boot2 would be nice…
  • Try bringing up Priiloder (or the older Preloader) by holding (Reset) on power on.

Can't do much more than ask a few questions:
How about alternate exploits?
Do legit game discs work? Could you do Smash Stack?

How about Bluebomb? That one should be worth a shot.

??? What ???
Is that some kind of forwarder instead of the HB Channel? Any Wii64 directory containing a boot.dol you could replace with another file?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I’m as lost as you on that one buddy. I honestly have zero clue how in the world someone messes up a console this badly. I’ve seen some messed up consoles, but this is a new level.

Unfortunately the soft brain before me didn’t install priiloader or even do a backup with bootmii so unfortunately restoring it is a no go for now.

I don’t have that game you mentioned but I just grabbed a Japanese Wii sports resort and it loaded up straight away.

I’ll have to check out alternative exploits. I’ve always just used Letterbomb and str2hax since they’re just what I learned and always have worked. I’ll definitely look into Bluebomb to see if it’s a possibility

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried going to the settings to do a fresh install of the homebrew channel but it gave me a pop up in English saying that it couldn’t connect to an address and to try making sure my internet connection is active.
Semibrick, ignore what it says, just keep in mind to complete the region changing job asap when you'll be able to (and don't factory reset anything before that)

All those custom channels in the picture, are any of them forwarders? In which case it may be rather easy to run the hackmii installer by replacing the right file on the SD (whether it'll work afterwards is a separate question)

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm by far not an expert.
Have you given AnyTittleDeleter, ShowMiiWads or ShowMiiNand a try ?
Perhaps these apps can start to help you correct those issues (?).

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
It looks like u have a lot of forwarder channels installed, like the fceugx one will probably load whatever u save to usb or sd:/apps/fceugx/boot.dol (or boot.elf), or the gx one should load whatever is installer to apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol or boot.elf

It's possible the last guy hardcoded the apps into the channels and they're no longer forwarders. Easiest way to check that would be make sure the sd and usb are disconnected and launch the channels, if they return you to the system menu the they are almost certainly a forwarder of some sort, and then it's just a matter of saving the apps u need to the location the forwarder is pointing to and launching them that way

Last edited by XFlak,
Reactions: scooby74029

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol