Homebrew Browserhax is dead (on 9.9 and up)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Alright, let's consolidate what we know so far (make corrections if I'm wrong, please):

There is apparently a workaround for New 3DS (not for the gamecard dummy browser), but I cannot personally confirm that it works or not: http://gbatemp.net/threads/browserhax-is-still-working.400991/

You can also try blocking the message in the first place with a DNS server: https://gbatemp.net/threads/blocking-browserhax-update-message.401280), but Tubehax DNS is apparently not working at this point in time (see below).
  • This only affects users who have the 9.9 or higher browser. So if you updated to 9.9 or higher, or you installed a CIA of the 9.9 or higher browser, your browserhax is gone once you get the error.
  • The web browser on 9.9 and higher now phones home to cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net, and asks if the browser is up to date. If it's not, the browser disables itself completely.
  • Gamecards (physical retail games) that come with 9.9 now include a dummy browser update, which requires you to update the system online before being allowed to use it. This means that your browser will effectively be "bricked" until you update through System Settings.
  • There are conflicting reports on if Tubehax DNS is blocking this or not. Caution is advised; perhaps use OpenDNS or something until it's completely confirmed that Tubehax DNS is blocking it.
  • Tubehax DNS (107.211.140.165 or 107.211.140.065, the original, is now blocking it as of 10/28) is now blocking this new URL. However, if you already have the update message, you will need to try the above workaround.
  • Non-dummy browser: entering recovery mode/safe mode with A+R+L+Up (dpad) will NOT remove the message.
  • Non-dummy browser: clearing the browser's save data and then blocking the URL) will change the update message to "The internet browser cannot be used at this time. Please try again later or in a different environment.", but will still not let you use the browser.
  • Non-dummy browser: performing a system update and blocking the URL (cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net) will still not allow access again, according to one report.
  • According to 3dbrew, if you use a proxy or DNS to block this URL before ever entering the browser and getting the update message, it will still work. http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Internet_Browser#Forced_system-update
Examples of gamecards that include 9.9:
  • Zelda Tri Force Heroes
  • Chibi Robo

It's also interesting to note that the dummy browser update from a gamecard does NOT update nVer, meaning that you'll never even know the browser was updated, unless you knew the browser version both before and after (or unless you dumped the ROM and looked at the update files).

Last edited by daxtsu,

nobody231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I meant freehax at the moment is unobtainable. You need either SmashHax (for N3DS), OOTHAX, NINJHAX if you missed out of on previous freehax: browser, ironhax, themehax
Browser is dead because of Nintendo, I have no N3DS, I have no money for OOT or CN, never got IronFall or heard of it before TubeHax, and no ThemeHax.

Reactions: Margen67

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Browser is dead because of Nintendo, I have no N3DS, I have no money for OOT or CN, never got IronFall or heard of it before TubeHax, and no ThemeHax.
Your only hope is trying to sell your 3DS and use that money to hunt for a 3DS without lower firmware at your local pawnshops/Craigslist; or play the wait game until Yellow8 and Smealum work out a new way.

Last edited by tivu100,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Alright, let's consolidate what we know so far (make corrections if I'm wrong, please):

• This only affects users who have the 9.9 or higher browser.
  • Zelda Tri Force Heroes on cartridge/gamecard includes a browser update for both O3DS and N3DS, making it the first game we know of to do this. It's unknown if Chibi Robo and other game carts that include 9.9 or higher also introduce this yet. It's also interesting to note that it does NOT update nVer, meaning that you'll never even know the browser was updated, unless you knew the browser version both before and after.
Before I updated to my 4.5 to 9.9, I updated it to 9.8 with a different cart (LBX) and there was not a lockout. It may have had a browser update anyway so I'll check that in a minute.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still live in my parent's house, and they didn't agree to it. I have to wait.... again.
If that's the case, there is no other way than waiting.
Before I updated to my 4.5 to 9.9, I updated it to 9.8 with a different cart (LBX) and there was not a lockout. It may have had a browser update anyway so I'll check that in a minute.
Where are all the people with hard-modded 3DS when we need them? They would be great to test thing out.

Last edited by tivu100,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Please do. We should gather a list of gamecards that include this new ninja browser.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wtf Nintendo why not just patch, you know, the actual exploits used by these entrypoints and then the actual entrypoint? I'm not gonna complain but seriously, unless it's something they CAN'T patch then I don't really see the strategy

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N3DS XL (USA, 9.9) Never used Tri-Force heroes or any recent gamecard and I get the nag. The 2DS I use for Leaftools (USA 9.2) seems to be fine though. I haven't even downloaded anything from the eShop lately. That's pretty shady.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
N3DS XL (USA, 9.9) Never used Tri-Force heroes or any recent gamecard and I get the nag. The 2DS I use for Leaftools (USA 9.2) seems to be fine though. I haven't even downloaded anything from the eShop lately. That's pretty shady.

Yeah, they snuck it in by simply updating to 9.9 or higher too, no TFH needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety