Hacking Brick 3ds help (godmode9 its working and I have backup)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
no. his console would be a useless brick to him if he had done that.
Don't underestimate the protections. GodMode9 (or the restore script) should identify the risk and abort. This is what I got when trying safe restore of an image from the wrong console:
Wrong_console_NAND_restore.png

Immediate abort and nothing written to NAND, no brick. I always say it that way: You have to force bricking a 3DS and will get a bunch of warnings before succeeding (see pictures with warnings about corruption and bad MBR in this thread). Normally there is no reason to use full/forced NAND restore.

@3dsdev
There is a reason why CTRTransfer exists. This method is usable even when no backup is available.
Of course you can run a full/forced NAND restore of random garbage data (a backup from console "A" is random garbage for console "B") and GodMode9 will not even protect the FIRM partitions in that case – effectively trashing everything including B9S. The result of this extremely bad idea is below.

3ds_blue_screen-jpg.220805

Yes, I overwrote FIRM0 and FIRM1 on my test console and got the 8046 BOOTROM blue screens of death.

To anybody reading this thread:
:!: Do not overwrite FIRM0 and FIRM1! Do not try to restore an image from a different console!
Especially NEVER do things like this when not having an ntrboot cart ready (and checked if you can successfully do ntrboot)!
:!:

====================

@SonsuzEko Missing CTRNAND is bad news. This cannot be repaired with standard CTRTransfer (which tries to copy files into the missing partition).
You will have to run the more complex and more effective CTRTransfer Type D9. It relies on CTRTransfer 11.5 but not 11.15 images, which aren't present as magnet links in the guide anymore. Maybe somebody else can answer if those are still available via torrent – we may not directly share Nintendo copyrighted material.

Before any repair attempt:
Backup your NAND now. It might seem to make no sense, but even a backup of a bricked status might be needed.
Since your SD corrupted (even thought it seems to be good now), run the backup twice without any reboot. Backup followed by another backup. The two resulting image files should be identical (compare SHA-256 or run something like diff for the two files on your computer)

Fixing this brick isn't gonna be finished in a few minutes. Take your time reading the manual for CTRTransfer Type D9, don't try to cut corners.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hesitant to recommend CTRTransfer Type D9 as the user needs to carefully read through it without rushing, before starting messing with stuff..

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was hesitant to recommend CTRTransfer Type D9 as the user needs to carefully read through it without rushing, before starting messing with stuff..
Reading before doing is needed almost always. When having full access to the software of a device it is no wonder that the software can be damaged. I see not many alternatives here.
A) Reading the manual and trying the CTRTransfer Type D9 script – which demonstrated to be effective in similar cases in the past.
B) Using Decrypt9WIP for CTRTransfer – which is easier but far from ideal (There is a reason why TurdPooCharger went through the enormous effort of creating that script)
C) Throwing away / replacing the console

====
What I dislike the most is method C). Often done when somebody isn't able or willing to repair stuff. I always disliked this, but especially since 2|3DS are out of production I get angry when this is done.
B) Technically is an alternative the requires less reading and might actually be successful here. There is no way around backing up the bricked state though (with verification of the checksum like I said above). Once a good image (in the sense: no further data corruption than the actual NAND contains at the moment) is stored on a computer – not the SD only – repair with either A) or B) can be tried.

Also he might be hitting a language barrier. Most good documentation is in english.
True. If you're able to, then create a complete and faithful translation and upload it.
The Google Translate stuff embedded into the manual is far from ideal, but it might help people with limited English knowledge (reading both English and the machine translation).

Reactions: CoolMe

Andy2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
True. If you're able to, then create a complete and faithful translation and upload it.
The Google Translate stuff embedded into the manual is far from ideal, but it might help people with limited English knowledge (reading both English and the machine translation).
Sorry, as a german im not mighty of the turkish language. Would he speak either german, english, polish or french then i could be more of help. Automatic translation in our day and age shouldnt suck the way it does. And we are thinking about populationg mars :rofl2:

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry, as a german im not mighty of the turkish language. Would he speak either german, english, polish or french then i could be more of help. Automatic translation in our day and age shouldnt suck the way it does. And we are thinking about populationg mars :rofl2:
That is what I meant. How about translating it to German? If my concentration was better, I'd have done it myself long ago.
It can't be that hard to find somebody for each common language to translate a few pages.

Besides: deepl.com has often surprised me in a positive way (and it even had success translating stuff from Heinrich von Kleist without delivering nonsense)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...