Bricked new3dsXL?

Rookamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in search of a true professional in the topics of 3DS with CFW.
So a day ago i turned off my new3dsxl, which i had been playing Binding of Isaac on. It never fully turned on again.
It's hanging on black screen, OFF not just black, with the LEDs on. I can get into Godmode, Luma, Recovery. It's like it's stuck in the limbo moments before deciding to -> "open home menu", "open godmode", etc.

I've tried a ton of things. I am happy to try all of them again as they're suggested. I'll keep a list of things I've tried and what happened.
I'm not terribly well versed with this technical stuff, but I'm okay enough to stumble through with a bit of help. Please say what I might need, look out for, etc.
Eternal gratitude to anyone who revives my 3DS, my last working console....

Attempted Fixes:
  • Unplugged Camera- Worked

So my system boots now, but all my homebrew content is missing

Last edited by Rookamine,

Rookamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please disconnect the camera module.

New 3DS XL are known to not boot into Home Menu with bad camera while safe mode works normally.
ok, so a lot of my discord pros helped me test stuff and one of the most in depth sort of concluded it must be hardware.
What do you think of going in and unplugging the camera with replacing? Only replacing?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unplugging the camera is enough to make it work if it is that certain problem I have in mind.

a lot of my discord pros helped me test stuff
Which pretty much means it is impossible to follow this or know what has been tried without signing up on a proprietary garbage platform.

Discord mentioned → I'm out.

Rookamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unplugging the camera is enough to make it work if it is that certain problem I have in mind.

Which pretty much means it is impossible to follow this or know what has been tried without signing up on a proprietary garbage platform.

Discord mentioned → I'm out.
don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to start everyone off halfway through. I make mistakes, I don't know this stuff that well, I'll do any suggestion again. I through that in to try to convey I'm trying to be an active participant in the fix, not just asking everybody to do it for me, so to speak. If you have any ideas, top to bottom, simplest to most obscure, I'd love to hear and test it. please and thank you

splaca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Try unplugging the camera as already suggested:

It only requires opening up the back cover and disconnecting the camera ribbon cable from the motherboard.

If you're unsure about opening your n3DSXL, you could follow the iFixit guide, for example. Just note there's no need to go unplugging everything as the guide states. (It's a guide for complete teardown / motherboard replacement.) The ribbon you want to disconnect (camera) is the top right one from the image below:

QPVwUNNHAwwZWJQ5.large.jpg

(Credits for the image: iFixit)

If you're not used to such things, please be careful not to damage the ribbon cable or its connector. But no need to be scared, just be gentle.

Rookamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
felt sketchy but i guess it came out, aaaaand then booted. The home screen is a little scrambled with lots of tiles missing but i see it again. any ideas on what scrambled Looking in data manadement, a ton of stuff has a little "x" on the icon. New problem, new solution?

splaca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
felt sketchy but i guess it came out, aaaaand then booted. The home screen is a little scrambled with lots of tiles missing but i see it again. any ideas on what scrambled Looking in data manadement, a ton of stuff has a little "x" on the icon. New problem, new solution?
When you say scrambled, do you mean the graphics are glitchy in some way, or is it just the weird behavior regarding missing software? Are you able to boot any software from the home menu?

If you boot without the SD card how does the system behave?

Rookamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say scrambled, do you mean the graphics are glitchy in some way, or is it just the weird behavior regarding missing software? Are you able to boot any software from the home menu?

If you boot without the SD card how does the system behave?
my homebrew stuff is missing

Rookamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry but the picture is still unclear to me, could you please answer the three separate questions?
FBI, Anenome, godmode, all those things
anything not downloaded from eshop is missing
it takes up data, but it wont show up. I can see them all if i brose titles in godmode from boot
Post automatically merged:

ok so i can see stuff like homebrew, FBI, checkpoint, anenome.
all games not from eshop are missing

Last edited by Rookamine,

Rookamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And are you able to actually launch the software that does appear?
yes. Anything eshop launches. I can even make new nds forwarder stuff for ripped ds carts. Trying to launch the missing software from FBI gives me an "sd card removed"-like error

splaca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yes. Anything eshop launches. I can even make new nds forwarder stuff for ripped ds carts. Trying to launch the missing software from FBI gives me an "sd card removed"-like error

Any news on the situation?

I was wondering two things:
1. Whether Checkpoint can list and backup saves from software that does not show up correctly on the Home Menu;
2. Whether you're able to install new 3DS titles.

If the answer to both is yes, then although it wouldn't be a real solution or very satisfactory, at least you could maybe reinstall these missing titles.

But honestly I don't understand this problem with the missing software. I hope you can get your 3DS to a normal state again. Keep the thread updated if anything new happens!

Rookamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i fixed my boot problem by disconnecting my camera
Then i had to repair data since i had restored an old nand backup in my attempts to unbrick
I then simply downloaded and ran .faketik to run through all my broken titles and restore their function
Got a new sd card to avoid any issues originating there
No issues since

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto