Hacking BotW: Game stuck on startup w/ Mocha CFW after update v48

Oxyde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello fine gents,
I require a bit of assistance from you, masters of hacking!

First of all, if this is the wrong section, let me know and I will request this thread to be moved around accordingly.

The issue I am facing here is as follows:
  • I installed Mocha CFW, Homebrew Launcher and many other joyful toys using this very guide.
  • I am now able to run anything from RedNAND just fine and everything works perfectly
  • Since the installation of the BotW v48 update, I cannot get the game running
  • The game just hangs at the start screen (right after hitting the disk icon), with the music playing endlessly
So, as troubleshooting steps, here is what I did:
  1. I deleted the update manually from the options menu and downloaded it again afterwards through the game update prompt
  2. It worked for a single launch, turning off the machine makes the issue reappear on next launch
  3. I tried to manually install the update using uTik and WUP installer
  4. Same result, it only works for a single launch
I'm fairly clueless and I don't know what I am doing wrong/how I can solve this...
Quick facts & reminders :
  • My WiiU is 32Gb, my SD Card is 64Gb
  • I currently do not have an external USB support to install games on (planned for later on though)
Do you people face the same issue? Do you have any idea on how I can solve this issue?
Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Last edited by Oxyde,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't face the same issue because many on here do NOT recommend that guide you used. You're using a CFW to launch another CFW to launch a 3rd. redNAND is NOT for the everyday user and has been known to corrupt itself. Plus you cannot play vWii from redNAND.

Oxyde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't face the same issue because many on here do NOT recommend that guide you used. You're using a CFW to launch another CFW to launch a 3rd. redNAND is NOT for the everyday user and has been known to corrupt itself. Plus you cannot play vWii from redNAND
Then [...] to? From what I can understand, the global idea of this hack is to have two systems installed, where one is restricted and the other is not. Am I missing something here?
Nvm, I'm blind: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.451297/ :)

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by Oxyde,

TheKitof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You need to test it (even if it worked before the update) to be sure that it come from the update.

BTW, I'm in the same configuration than you, and I could update without trouble. Maybe you should test with another backup of BOTW, (don't forget to backup your savegame) ? :sleep:

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Then [...] to? From what I can understand, the global idea of this hack is to have two systems installed, where one is restricted and the other is not. Am I missing something here?
Nvm, I'm blind: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.451297/ :)

Thanks for the reply!
Unless you are worried about Nintendo releasing a bomb (the last sdk for wii u was released at the end of 2015), you do not require dns setup anymore. I'm not going to recommend you do one or the other, but you really shouldn't be too concerned with using redNAND and keeping your Wii U offline anymore. That said, it is up to you.

Benefits of redNAND are slim for end-users, but admittedly not completely useless if you're still worried about updates.

You may be better off just installing the game to your sysNAND and playing from there. It is possible that your SD card is starting to die if you have had it for a while. A few were killed in the process of making iosuhax and rednand from constant erase and write routines.

Oxyde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You need to test it (even if it worked before the update) to be sure that it come from the update.

BTW, I'm in the same configuration than you, and I could update without trouble. Maybe you should test with another backup of BOTW, (don't forget to backup your savegame) ? :sleep:
So I just happened to test this method: The game is updating itself first with the inital 2Gb update (as it seems to be on the disc), then it runs fine.

The problem seems to reside in the downloaded update for some reason. Would I better off just using Disc2App or something smilar and make an USB backup of the game? I forgot to mention that:
  • I am using a physical copy of the game
  • My WiiU is a day-one model (if that matters at some point)

Unless you are worried about Nintendo releasing a bomb (the last sdk for wii u was released at the end of 2015), you do not require dns setup anymore. I'm not going to recommend you do one or the other, but you really shouldn't be too concerned with using redNAND and keeping your Wii U offline anymore. That said, it is up to you.

Benefits of redNAND are slim for end-users, but admittedly not completely useless if you're still worried about updates.

You may be better off just installing the game to your sysNAND and playing from there. It is possible that your SD card is starting to die if you have had it for a while. A few were killed in the process of making iosuhax and rednand from constant erase and write routines.
I doubt that the SD card is to blame, I bought it just a few weeks ago and only for the sake of doing this hack. It might deffective, but then I would be out of luck. :)
I'll just keep the SysNAND offline as it serves as another "check" method to see on which system I am currently on.

Thanks for the help guys, it is really appreciated !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu