Hardware Bottom screen flickering after booting to Luma Config

ShazamaPajama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having a weird problem for a couple weeks with my N3DSXL. I'm running Luma CFW on 11.8, and godmode, bootstrap and everything else updated to the latest releases to the best of my knowledge. After I hold select to enter the Luma config menu on startup and boot into the home menu my bottom screen flickers with a ghosted image of the text from luma config. If I try to set up a splash screen my bottom screen will still flicker even when I don't enter Luma config (although it doesn't have a ghosted image.) To get it back to normal I have to power off my 3ds a few times, or take the battery out for a minute, but once I do it boots up fine. I've been avoiding luma config and splash screens in the meantime, and it seems like my 3ds works fine with games. Sometimes that-one-free-store-type-thing hangs, but that's about it. I'm not sure where this is coming from since everything else works. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by ShazamaPajama,

ShazamaPajama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I replaced the bottom screen, and it fixed the problem. The original screen is IPS so I'd rather use that. Would just using my IPS screen and avoiding luma config hurt my 3ds over time?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I replaced the bottom screen, and it fixed the problem. The original screen is IPS so I'd rather use that. Would just using my IPS screen and avoiding luma config hurt my 3ds over time?

If you can't get the original IPS bottom lcd not to flicker, you shouldn't use it. A flickering screen usually means your current/voltage delivery is unsteady, which is not safe for electronics.

You can try remedying the flickering with a new battery if the one you have now is on its way out.

If your battery is old/has crappy battery life, it's probably undervolting and not able to match delivering to your IPS panel's large current draw. You can check for this by lowering the screen brightness level and see if the IPS panel still flickers.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Man, this is an old thread... committing necromancy here! Got my hands on a new 3DS (not XL) with dual IPS and have the exact same issue. Appears to be an IPS related thing (they do draw more power). The flickering ONLY appears after the Luma config menu and is fixed with a reboot... so it could be software/Luma related.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The flickering ONLY appears after the Luma config menu and is fixed with a reboot... so it could be software/Luma related.
It happened just one time when you were perhaps still in the process of modding the system, or everytime after every boot? It's probably nothing to worry about if it's the former.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It happened just one time when you were perhaps still in the process of modding the system, or everytime after every boot? It's probably nothing to worry about if it's the former.
Only appears after entering Luma Config.... disappears after reboot. Can consistently be reproduced. No flickering/ghosting after a normal boot. Only when "continue" to boot from the Luma config menu (the menu entered by holding Select on startup)
Post automatically merged:

Also, I use fastboot3ds to show/manage my splash screen, which works as expected (no flickering). Continuing to boot from the fastboot3ds menu to Luma also does NOT result in flickering/ghosting on the bottom screen. Appears to be a Luma specific thing...

Last edited by Hark0n,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.