Bottom screen flickering after booting to Luma Config

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ShazamaPajama, Aug 9, 2018.

1. ShazamaPajama
    OP

ShazamaPajama Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    United States
    I've been having a weird problem for a couple weeks with my N3DSXL. I'm running Luma CFW on 11.8, and godmode, bootstrap and everything else updated to the latest releases to the best of my knowledge. After I hold select to enter the Luma config menu on startup and boot into the home menu my bottom screen flickers with a ghosted image of the text from luma config. If I try to set up a splash screen my bottom screen will still flicker even when I don't enter Luma config (although it doesn't have a ghosted image.) To get it back to normal I have to power off my 3ds a few times, or take the battery out for a minute, but once I do it boots up fine. I've been avoiding luma config and splash screens in the meantime, and it seems like my 3ds works fine with games. Sometimes that-one-free-store-type-thing hangs, but that's about it. I'm not sure where this is coming from since everything else works. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by ShazamaPajama, Aug 9, 2018
  2. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
  3. ShazamaPajama
    OP

ShazamaPajama Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    United States
    So I replaced the bottom screen, and it fixed the problem. The original screen is IPS so I'd rather use that. Would just using my IPS screen and avoiding luma config hurt my 3ds over time?

4. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    If you can't get the original IPS bottom lcd not to flicker, you shouldn't use it. A flickering screen usually means your current/voltage delivery is unsteady, which is not safe for electronics.

You can try remedying the flickering with a new battery if the one you have now is on its way out.

If your battery is old/has crappy battery life, it's probably undervolting and not able to match delivering to your IPS panel's large current draw. You can check for this by lowering the screen brightness level and see if the IPS panel still flickers.