3DS Unable To Boot, Flashes a Blue LED both with and without sd card

Souped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, so just the other day I ended up getting a black screen while playing some games, and I just turned off my 3ds thinking nothing of it. Since then though, I've been unable to boot to the menu or even get into safe mode or the luma menu. I've tried reinstalling B9S, GM9, Luma 13.0.2, Luma 10.0.1, and formating my sd card. What could possibly be going on?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, so just the other day I ended up getting a black screen while playing some games, and I just turned off my 3ds thinking nothing of it. Since then though, I've been unable to boot to the menu or even get into safe mode or the luma menu. I've tried reinstalling B9S, GM9, Luma 13.0.2, Luma 10.0.1, and formating my sd card. What could possibly be going on?
How did you try reinstalling b9s without the console being able to boot?

Reactions: CoolMe

Souped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok maybe was a bit iffy with the details, but currently am unable to boot into anything, up until a couple hours ago was able to at least rarely get into the luma menu before it would flash errors on boot. Once I went to reinstall B9S though I havent been able to boot into anything since. Even then, with the rare luma boots it was basically after throwing a fresh copy of the boot.firm, else it wouldnt boot

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Ok maybe was a bit iffy with the details, but currently am unable to boot into anything, up until a couple hours ago was able to at least rarely get into the luma menu before it would flash errors on boot. Once I went to reinstall B9S though I havent been able to boot into anything since. Even then, with the rare luma boots it was basically after throwing a fresh copy of the boot.firm, else it wouldnt boot
This looks like a dying sd card, or a fake that's hit its true max capacity and starts corrupting. Can you try a different card?

Souped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have another I could test yes, hoping it isn't the card dying though... this one is still pretty new

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have another I could test yes, hoping it isn't the card dying though... this one is still pretty new
You could check it with h2testw to make sure it's not faulty. backup your data, empty it completely and run the test with the read and write setting, it should tell you if it's ok to use.
If it passes the test, copy the latest Luma3DS files to it (DL again, just in case) and see if you can access Luma3DS menu.
Oh, and if you're using a old series 3ds, you might want to check the sd card adapter too, change it if you have to.

Souped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So tried checking the sd card, and it came through fine; No dice with the menu though, tried with the backup and without anything but boot files, both just continue with the ld lighting up then turning off again. I am on a N3DS though so is it possible the faulty sd card slot could still be an issue?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So tried checking the sd card, and it came through fine; No dice with the menu though, tried with the backup and without anything but boot files, both just continue with the ld lighting up then turning off again. I am on a N3DS though so is it possible the faulty sd card slot could still be an issue?
What did you use when ya said you uninstalled cfw?

Souped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh never uninstalled CFW, at least I think not, just been deleting files and redownloading as needed through sdcard since I havent been able to boot into godmode9 to check on the NAND, everything from right when i started having problems is all backed up though

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So tried checking the sd card, and it came through fine
Did you format the SD card before testing it? h2testw is only useful on a completely empty card.

If the card was okay, then you could try testing another card. Otherwise it is distinctly possible that the slot in the console is defective.

Reactions: CoolMe

Souped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah formated to FAT32, after looking in sd card from putting it into my 3ds my B9S on the console is really out of date, so I'm hoping thats not causing this

Also damn, I had some error logs from before this whole no boot thing started but forgot to back those up... really kicking myself in the leg right now

frozencat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
corruption or hardware problems probably

Souped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely, errors were coming up mentioning it was either the home menu or themes I *think* but after deleting the folders I was told for both I kept getting the generic couldnt mount, use external error. There were a couple times I was actually able to get onto the menu but they were basically rare exceptions, eventually just leading to another crash in one way or another
Post automatically merged:

oh and what do you know, guess I was finally able to actually get back into the menu... just had to wait 12+ hrs and take sd card out. well heres to hoping I can figure out the problem...

Edit: Annnnnd its gone again, gotta love this

Last edited by Souped,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
both just continue with the ld lighting up then turning off again.
You talking about the power led, and not the the notification led?
I am on a N3DS though so is it possible the faulty sd card slot could still be an issue?
Yes, it is most likely the one causing this.
Also damn, I had some error logs from before this whole no boot thing started but forgot to back those up... really kicking myself in the leg right now
Most likely "Arm11" errors and/or "unable to mount ctrnand etc. firm"..
oh and what do you know, guess I was finally able to actually get back into the menu... just had to wait 12+ hrs and take sd card out. well heres to hoping I can figure out the problem...

Edit: Annnnnd its gone again, gotta love this
That's def a faulty sd card reader behavior right there (random & inconsistent), it couldn't've been anything else, and certainly not the b9s version you installed. To fix it, you simply have to replace it.

Souped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You talking about the power led, and not the the notification led?
Yeah, power led

That's def a faulty sd card reader behavior right there (random & inconsistent), it couldn't've been anything else, and certainly not the b9s version you installed. To fix it, you simply have to replace it.
Ah damn, that sucks too, it's been working fine till now, sucks it would basically just fail like this. I am still a bit confused on why I'm unable to boot without sd though, but thats a entirely different problem. Is there any good videos or guides you can recommend for replacing the card slot?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still a bit confused on why I'm unable to boot without sd though, but thats a entirely different problem.
No it isn't, with a faulty sd card reader the 3ds wouldn't boot woth or without the sd card in (i had the same problem with a N3DSXL)..
Is there any good videos or guides you can recommend for replacing the card slot?
Check this guide here.

Souped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it isn't, with a faulty sd card reader the 3ds wouldn't boot woth or without the sd card in (i had the same problem with a N3DSXL)..
Oh? Thats intresting, well I can definitly say I learned at least something today
Check this guide here.
Appreciate it, I'll take a look once I can find a good replacement, hoping this will fix it. A question about parts though, from the looks of it some people are saying the N3DS SD slot wont work with the N3DS, is this true? Just want to make sure I'm not falling into a trap or making a mistake ordering the wrong part

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some people are saying the N3DS SD slot wont work with the N3DS, is this true?
Uh, i think you meant to ask if you could use an sd card that's for old 3ds models? Iirc they're different, so it's better to get one that's made for your model.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up