Console wont turn on after restoring a CTRNAND boot.firm backup

OptimisticMatt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Title says most of it, was trying to restore a backup boot.firm from CTRNAND and, it seemingly was successful but now the console wont turn on. Blue LED goes on and off and thats it.

Cant enter GM9, cant enter the Luma menu, cant boot the console in safe mode. I have tried changing the boot.firm file from the SD to see if it did anything, but it didnt. Im afraid the console is bricked.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try without SD.
Try providing another FAT32 formatted SD containing nothing but latest Luma3DS boot.firm.

No idea how copying/restoring a file *from* CTRNAND is supposed to cause issues.

Reactions: OptimisticMatt

OptimisticMatt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Try without SD.
Try providing another FAT32 formatted SD containing nothing but latest Luma3DS boot.firm.

No idea how copying/restoring a file *from* CTRNAND is supposed to cause issues.
OKAY, OKAY, this is weird.
Let me go by parts: at first, when no sd, it just didnt work, same as with sd.
Picked newly formatted sd with most recent luma, as suggested, and its working now?????

The CTRNAND version of luma is now the most recent version instead of 10.0.1 (what i was using before i tried to restore the backup., working both without sd and with my main sd with all the games.

I really dont know how i caused the problem (beyond trying to restore a backup) or how doing this fixed it. but man, you have no idea how relieved i am right now, thank you. i was legit freaking out.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Contact issues with the SD. Sometimes a 3DS fails loading some SD for no reason.

Leave the failsafe backup on CTRNAND (don't delete). In case anything goes weird with SD and/or reader at least booting without SD will work.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: OptimisticMatt

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant boot the console in safe mode.
Sometimes, the Safe Mode thing can take several tries. I've even seen the suggestion of letting the battery completely die, charging it all the way to full, and then trying Safe Mode again. And, as KleinesSinchen has pointed out, there's often something going on with the SD card when it does this, too.

Glad you got it working!

Awesomesauce3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, if you don't have Luma 3ds installed to the firm or the internal storage, and have a folder on the SD labeled "Nintendo 3ds", then the system will get confused and not boot, and flash a blue error light. If you need to install Luma to firm, then follow this: 3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup. This will allow Luma to be booted if requested, and to naturally boot off Luma to home menu, whilst loading any 3ds apps or home menu preferences. Like background and app layout and size. Good luck!

Edit: This will also give you 6 useful home menu applications. FBI, Homebrew launcher loader, Anemone3ds, checkpoint, Ftpd pro, universal-updater db, and a full file manager called Godmode9 Which can be booted by holding start on boot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: what's the fanfic name?