Hardware Bootleg Concerns

CommanderCool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'm a little concerned with the copy of Yggdra Union I just purchased:

I got it from Ebay. The packaging was completely sealed, and the instruction booklet was in pristine condition. When I ripped the ROM myself to my computer, it ended out having an MD5 tag which is completely different to the ones which I have found in databases online (for as few as I could find). However, I've found zero signs of tampering or bootleg red flags on the cartridge. Could I possibly have a defective cart of the game? Or is this a normality?

Thanks!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have something like this with Poi on the switch. it says USA on the cartridge, but a second metadata is loaded for it on the home menu. it also will not allow me to get coins for it saying the region is different from the account region. I called up nintendo, and they couldn't explain it either. they still gave me the coins, but it's really strange.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have the tools here to be able to unscrew the cart and show you the PCB. I'll have to look into that when I can.
While full PCB shots will be an almost instant giveaway even a shot into the contacts you can see can help us tell -- many repros will not make the correct size pins, use the correct font/PCB overlay and the like, get the angle right and we might even see into the cart itself (others playing along it is a non RTC EEPROM saving game).

Similarly is there a punched in number on the label (usually somewhere on the right, might take twisting it under a light source to see)? While trivial to replicate I don't think we have seen any fakes do that yet. Not to mention the label itself might not be made the best.

CommanderCool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While full PCB shots will be an almost instant giveaway even a shot into the contacts you can see can help us tell -- many repros will not make the correct size pins, use the correct font/PCB overlay and the like, get the angle right and we might even see into the cart itself (others playing along it is a non RTC EEPROM saving game).

Similarly is there a punched in number on the label (usually somewhere on the right, might take twisting it under a light source to see)? While trivial to replicate I don't think we have seen any fakes do that yet. Not to mention the label itself might not be made the best.

Everything looks authentic. I did a comparison of the byte values and there's one byte which is off, which I can only assume is due to cart deterioration or something akin to that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.