1. CommanderCool

OP CommanderCool Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Alright, I'm a little concerned with the copy of Yggdra Union I just purchased:

I got it from Ebay. The packaging was completely sealed, and the instruction booklet was in pristine condition. When I ripped the ROM myself to my computer, it ended out having an MD5 tag which is completely different to the ones which I have found in databases online (for as few as I could find). However, I've found zero signs of tampering or bootleg red flags on the cartridge. Could I possibly have a defective cart of the game? Or is this a normality?

Thanks!

2. Sterophonick

Sterophonick GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What does the PCB look like?
    Could you send a picture?

3. mrgone

mrgone old man

Germany
    in rare cases there are v01 (secondary) versions of roms with small patches

4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I have something like this with Poi on the switch. it says USA on the cartridge, but a second metadata is loaded for it on the home menu. it also will not allow me to get coins for it saying the region is different from the account region. I called up nintendo, and they couldn't explain it either. they still gave me the coins, but it's really strange.

5. CommanderCool

OP CommanderCool Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I don't have the tools here to be able to unscrew the cart and show you the PCB. I'll have to look into that when I can.

Sterophonick likes this.
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    While full PCB shots will be an almost instant giveaway even a shot into the contacts you can see can help us tell -- many repros will not make the correct size pins, use the correct font/PCB overlay and the like, get the angle right and we might even see into the cart itself (others playing along it is a non RTC EEPROM saving game).

Similarly is there a punched in number on the label (usually somewhere on the right, might take twisting it under a light source to see)? While trivial to replicate I don't think we have seen any fakes do that yet. Not to mention the label itself might not be made the best.

MrCokeacola and peteruk like this.
  7. CommanderCool

OP CommanderCool Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Everything looks authentic. I did a comparison of the byte values and there's one byte which is off, which I can only assume is due to cart deterioration or something akin to that.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Concerns, Bootleg,