"Black Myth: Wukong" reaches 2.2 million current players, surpassing Palworld's 2nd place "All-Time Peak" players on Steam

Screenshot from 2024-08-20 08-24-45.png

"Black Myth: Wukong" has been one of the most anticipated games in this later half of 2024 due to the development team's focus and love for its unique background, stunning visuals and settings inspired on chinese mythology and the classic chinese "Journey to the West" novel.

The game officially released yesterday, on August 19th, 2024 for PC through Steam and PlayStation 5, with a port for the Xbox Series consoles coming later, with high praise all around currently sitting at an "Overwhelmingly Positive" stance on Steam from user reviews only. The game has also been an absolute success, with a lot of concurrent gamers playing the game on Steam.

Screenshot from 2024-08-20 08-21-48.png

As of today and at the time of writing, Wukong has broken the previous record Palworld held for being the 2nd game with an "All-Time Peak" number of current players on SteamDB, which previously had the peak number at 2.1 million players, while the number 1 position is still held by PUBG at 3.25 million. Wukong broke that 2nd place record today and is currently sitting at 2.22 million current players and still growing, even breaking the current players number for the day out of Counter Strike 2 as number one on Steam, beating the peak players for the day as well out of CS2.

"Black Myth: Wukong" is currently available on Steam for those interested in trying it out and making an opinion about this unique title on their own.

:arrow: Black Myth: Wukong on Steam
:arrow: Most Played Games on Steam
:arrow: Most Played All-Time Peak Games on SteamDB

Xzi

BUSTAH WOLF!!!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I got it, it's alot of fun.
Seems like the future of the video game industry is China and South Korea.
I mean it's not like every Chinese developer can magically conjure up a game on par with this one. For every creative, passionate and talented team, you're bound to run in to three who are just in it for the money, ala Ubisoft/EA/Tencent.

roice2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it, it's alot of fun.
Seems like the future of the video game industry is China and South Korea.
since lies of P, Stellar blade and Wukong, i really know for sure that only East Asia Games like korea or japanese games are the only fun games with no agenda.

Xzi

BUSTAH WOLF!!!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
since lies of P, Stellar blade and Wukong, i really know for sure that only East Asia Games like korea or japanese games are the only fun games with no agenda.
Sorry to have to break it to you, but the themes of JttW are pretty universal. They parallel the civil rights movement, women's rights movements, etc and so forth. The struggle against oppression is common to the human experience.

Reactions: RedColoredStars

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozambique
ala Ubisoft/EA/Tencent.

I still have 9 days to cancel my Star Wars Outlaws pre-order. :lol: Sometimes I pre-order games so I can get pre-order bonuses, knowing that some in-depth reviews will likely come out a day or two before release & leaving me a time frame in which I can still cancel if necessary. From everything I've seen of the game, it looks quite enjoyable to me. The vibes I get are kinda like Uncharted (which I absolutely love) but in the Star Wars universe. I'm not expecting perfection or GotY with it. I do understand the dislike a lot of people have for Ubi but I feel it can still be a quite enjoyable experience. Speaking for myself, not anyone else.

• Sad
Reactions: Snintendog and Xzi

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first trailer dropped back in 2019 or 2020, and most people didn't believe it was even going to become a real game at that point. So yeah, there's been a lot of time for anticipation to build.
Still, from a studio that wasn't known for this sort of thing? It's a bit of a stretch.

I mean I'd completely relate and understand if Half Life 3 actually got a release date.

Xzi

BUSTAH WOLF!!!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Still, from a studio that wasn't known for this sort of thing? It's a bit of a stretch.

I mean I'd completely relate and understand if Half Life 3 actually got a release date.
Well they kept on releasing trailers after that, and the final trailer was even better than the first in many ways. Now, Palworld, that truly did come out of nowhere. I don't recall it even having a pre-release trailer, or if it did, the view count must not have been very high at all.

Scarlet

Editorial Aspirant
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well they kept on releasing trailers after that, and the final trailer was even better than the first in many ways. Now, Palworld, that truly did come out of nowhere. I don't recall it even having a pre-release trailer, or if it did, the view count must not have been very high at all.
PalWorld definitely didn't come out of nowhere, it was announced during the Indie Live Expo in 2021, then had trailers in the Tokyo Game Show in 2022. I had it in my head that it was showed off at a Game Awards, but I don't think it was ever there having done a bit more digging...

Reactions: The Catboy and Xzi

DragonMals

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
Trophies
Country
United States
I'll take more "slander" against Palworld; I literally remember hearing it as the Pokémon killer, and now I hear NOTHING about it anymore..

Xzi

BUSTAH WOLF!!!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'll take more "slander" against Palworld; I literally remember hearing it as the Pokémon killer, and now I hear NOTHING about it anymore..
It's not a live-service game, there is limited content just as there is with any Pokemon release. It's still a better game than GameFreak has produced in nearly a decade though. Made by an indie dev, nonetheless. People need to stop giving Ninty money for inferior products, and then they'd have an incentive to make changes.

PalWorld definitely didn't come out of nowhere, it was announced during the Indie Live Expo in 2021, then had trailers in the Tokyo Game Show in 2022. I had it in my head that it was showed off at a Game Awards, but I don't think it was ever there having done a bit more digging...
In any case, the real winner here is Valve. These games are doing numbers on other platforms too, but not at the scale they are on Steam. There's a new record-breaker every month it seems, whether it be indie or AAA.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

The last big update is maybe a few weeks old and the next one is planned. It's still in early access aka active development. I get news about it in my feed from time to time, so you not hearing anything about it doesn't reflect my experience.

Out of pure curiosity: What do you expect from it to be a Pokémon killer, anyway? I for one think it does better than any mainline game since Sun and Moon and kept me entertained way better than any after gen 5. Why need a franchise killer if the franchise is already dead (not talking about nostalgia-driven sales, but actual quality)? But all of this is just my subjective stance. That being said, I don't care whether or not it dominates as long as it does well, because I for one enjoy the gameplay. And if you find joy in talking smack about a franchise the sudden success of which rubbed you the wrong way somehow, I'm not gonna kinkshame you.

Reactions: Xzi and DragonMals

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Has anyone here played the game yet? I’m trying to figure out what kind of game it is and I’m seeing all different answers

Some say it’s like eldin ring…others are saying god of war. I’m so confused

All the videos I’m seeing just makes this seem like monkey eldin ring. Which my stoned ass can’t do lol timings are too tight

I was able to get the hang of stellar blade tho
Man, how can you not figure out what kind of game is this, tho?

Watch a review, Jesus.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, how can you not figure out what kind of game is this, tho?

Watch a review, Jesus.
Very insightful.

Reviews are notorious for spoiling story points so it’s kind of hard to just pick one

On top of that, PS5 reviews wherent possible ahead of time since no codes were given out. So watching a pc review wouldn’t really help me with how hit or miss console ports are nowadays

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Entropy Trap
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It still has a pretty dedicated player base. I don’t know who would call it a “Pokemon Killer,” that’s both silly and still wrong about the style of game it is. It’s far more of an Ark-clone with monster collecting as part of the gameplay.

DragonMals

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
Trophies
Country
United States
It still has a pretty dedicated player base. I don’t know who would call it a “Pokemon Killer,” that’s both silly and still wrong about the style of game it is. It’s far more of an Ark-clone with monster collecting as part of the gameplay.
I think the only reason people claled it a Pokmeon KIiller is due t ohow the design and graphics of the game look heavily pokemon-based.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Entropy Trap
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think the only reason people claled it a Pokmeon KIiller is due t ohow the design and graphics of the game look heavily pokemon-based.
Yeah, but it's silly to assume any game is ever going to kill Pokemon. If GameFreak can't kill it, I don't think anything will

Reactions: Xzi and DragonMals

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Very insightful.

Reviews are notorious for spoiling story points so it’s kind of hard to just pick one

On top of that, PS5 reviews wherent possible ahead of time since no codes were given out. So watching a pc review wouldn’t really help me with how hit or miss console ports are nowadays

Game is action rpg.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gotta lube up diidy to change characters +1