Bitching - Grammar Deficiency should be a bannable offense.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't like this forum's way of allowing people to have poor grammar. Trolls have more chances of getting a higher ranking than people with long quality posts. It promotes spamming. My solution: Banning users with grammar deficiency.

It's the same as bsnning someone for trolling, only for every time you you do thsi< That way, trolls can go away, and people will actually post something funny/interesting. I don't have much to say, but what do you think about the basic concept?

D

Deleted-236924

rd-banhammer-1.png

Reactions: 2 people

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Banning users with grammar deficiency.

In that case, let's just disallow registrations to people who only know English as a second language and don't speak it very well.
No!
I'm sure some peoples with English as their second or third language have better grammar knowledges than the ones with English as their mother tongue.

It's like that for French too :P
Native peoples tend to write as they speak, with abbreviations and it's often grammatically incorrect.
And peoples who learn a new language are studying each grammar rules one by one (At least, they should).

(Ok, am I fine or banned?)

Reactions: 3 people

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
No!
I'm sure some peoples with English as their second or third language have better grammar knowledges than the ones with English as their mother tongue.

It's like that for French too :P
Native peoples tend to write as they speak, with abbreviations and it's often grammatically incorrect.

(Ok, am I fine or banned?)

I would say that there's more than just a few, it's for a forum, not for school or a news site. GBAtemp is just a little more grammar strict I think.
What I think is more important than grammar is proper use of punctuation and spacing, also writing everything with capslock on is a big NO.

Even if we Europeans are good at grammar we're generally bad at speaking English, hearing comprehension however varies depending on how heavily dubs are used in media.

The problem is that we almost strictly only learn written English in school.

(Oh and Cyan, you're Banned! :P )

Reactions: 1 person

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would say that there's more than just a few, it's for a forum, not for a school assignment. GBAtemp is just a little more grammar strict I think.
What's more important than grammar is proper use of punctuation and spacing, also writing everything with capslock on is a big NO.

Even if we Europeans are good at grammar we're generally bad at speaking English, hearing comprehension however varies depending on how heavily dubs are used in media.

The problem is that we almost strictly only learn written English in school.

(Oh and Cyan, you're Banned! :P )
I personally don't care about bad grammar on a forum as long as it's understandable and that the person is doing efforts.

About difference in European countries, I agree.
North countries have a lot of easyness in my opinion (Swedish people seems to speak English as if it was their mother tongue :P)

France is really bad for Spoken English.
Nothing is done in medias, on the contrary: France has a sort of conservatory principle where all english words should be replaced by idiotic and invented/french'ised words.
On TV, there's no english spoken movies (at least, with default language now that we have digital TV we can choose language in some cases, like TV series, but their subtitles suck very bad).

On radio and TV, there are quotas. They are forced to broadcast majority of content originating from France.

they even censored "manga channel" on TV to broadcast only French anime all day... not manga anymore :(

I'm really bad at hearing comprehension.
I understand a little, but I still need subtitles (even in English) on movies/games.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't care about bad grammar as long as it's understandable and that the person is doing efforts.

France is really bad for Spoken English.
Nothing is done in medias, on the contrary: France has a sort of conservatory principle where all english words should be replaced by idiotic and invented/french'ised words.
Isn't making English words sound French more damaging than conservative?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, and I hate that :(

a computer "bug" has been integrated (or more created) in French as Bogue.
To feel/phonetically looks like the "bug" pronunciation but not being English anymore.
while bug already existed in French as it's translation for "insect" or "cafard".

a forum's "thread" or "topic" is now a "billet" (same as the english's billet word, the one for the money. It has nothing to do with a discussion anymore).

spyware = espiogiciel (spy = espion, software = logiciel, they contracted both to invent a new word)

They also proposed to use a word to represent "program you can download from an iPhone from iStore", but the public tend to now use "Application", so they didn't invented a fake word for that. (or they did, but people don't care to use it)

Well I'm showing Internet/computer terms as it's the one I know best, but there are more examples with everyday words.
Like a "world map", which some people used a mixed of english+french "map monde".

It is now officially in French a new word: "Mappemonde" which is a fake mixed between English and French.

They created the word mappe, which sounds like the English word map but is not english anymore! and is not even a French either. The French for map is "Carte".

Phonetically It's like before: a mix of both English+French, but written it's not English nor French at all.

The real "world map" already existed in french, it was "Carte du monde", but they felt the need to French'zed the word that people used instead of telling people to use the real translation : "Carte du monde".

I personally feel like it's not correct French, and not correct English.
It's just invented words, and they feels more grammatically incorrect than using the english one.

I'm hijacking this EoF topic! :evil:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative