Homebrew Big Red Menu - Legal CIA installer/uninstaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really funny how people are concerned about the legality of using the nintendo cia installers when they are going to use this for pirating roms...sounds like hypocrisy to me.

GW turned '' legal '' because it's not used only for piracy, Why the CFW would be illegal ? Then GW user are hypocritical

Arisotura

rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
I just had an idea for a completely legal CIA installer.

You could just steal DevMenu's exheader. Then it would be able to run and do its thing without having to be installed.

(well, if this isn't legal, then neither are all the current homebrews, since we're all using a stolen exheader)

Reactions: Rinnegatamante

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Dear @Rinnegatamante,
might I suggest something for a future release? Since every system .cia is visible, I think they should be highlighted in red (or bolded red), so people can tell at a glance that they shouldn't remove them.
Just a thought. :)

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

You could just steal DevMenu's exheader. Then it would be able to run and do its thing without having to be installed.

(well, if this isn't legal, then neither are all the current homebrews, since we're all using a stolen exheader)

So the exheader sig checks really isn't patched on GW?

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree. I think most of them dislike the idea of a free CFW because they paid for a Pirate supporting Flashcard.

Personally I've got a GW, and I dislike the idea of a free CFW, those two things are unrelated though.
I'd love a free CFW, especially if it was somehow more convient than a GW, I'd jump ship in an instant.
I guess I dislike it AS an idea, one that's very very unlikely. Incredibly unlikely given it's been a long long time since such a thing was possible and nothing has happened besides a leak of a private CFW that was SPECIFICALLY not supposed to be out in the wild.

We're all gonna be seeing threads, more bounty threads, offers of cash, whinging and piracy debates for the foreseeable future because of an idea.
That's why I dislike the idea, but not at all the concept. In a perfect world it'd be the bees knees out of 9.

Of course, I only speak for myself. There's some very vocal CFW detractors out there with there own issues, but I don't see the problem, if you don't like something, don't use it.

Reactions: gamesquest1

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
When you pass on NAND located files, Location is reported in RED (for SDMC contents, Location is GREEN).

Groovy, sorry I didn't notice.
I'm just about to try the 1.2-fix version in a second.
I only used the beta briefly yesterday and haven't updated yet :\

Edit: Now I see it, on the latest version now. Awesome. Product ID listing's a million times better too.

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy

Is it possible to decrypt .3DS exheaders?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I agree. I think most of them dislike the idea of a free CFW because they paid for a Pirate supporting Flashcard.
I have a Gateway and think it is great, but the sooner we can move away from reliance on one flashcard manufacturer and move towards free, open source methods that everybody can build upon and improve, the better.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
since big blue menu won't survive updates past 4.5 to function, a question. will this big red menu survive? and what are sdmc cia's?

SDMC CIA = Secure Digital Memory Card CTR Importable Archive

Perhaps I'm taking your question a little too literally.

Maybe the answer you seek is; that they are .cia files on your 3DS's internal SD card.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
thanks... now i sound stupid.. but non the less, thanks... i thought it might've been the place it installs to, i mean can it only install to sysnand or realnand or rednand (for what the difference is)? i wouldn't know how to place the actual cia files on the nand, so i already assumed it would be on the sd-card.

Slynch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey I've got an issue. I installed it without the use of Devmenu by doing installcia over a network, and after selecting a 2GB CIA and pressing A on "confirm", the application hangs/is stuck. Is it because it's still transferring or because of a crash after selecting?

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Hey I've got an issue. I installed it without the use of Devmenu by doing installcia over a network, and after selecting a 2GB CIA and pressing A on "confirm", the application hangs/is stuck. Is it because it's still transferring or because of a crash after selecting?

For a 2GB CIA file, it take a lot of time. It's not a crash issue.

(Every crash will port you to 3DS main menu or you'll get a Debug error from LUA interpreter like "Not enough memory" for RAM out of bounds errors).

For installcia, i was wondering to ask to Palantine some info about it to make a Launcher.dat installer but still no answers.

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For installcia, i was wondering to ask to Palantine some info about it to make a Launcher.dat installer but still no answers.

You should ask to St4rk. But don't know if he will answer on this topic.

Anyway installcia uses the same am service of your HB, but from remote on a wifi connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E