XP
Country
Canada
The game consists of 3 partitions.
For example, the US version has these 3 title IDs:
0100C07018CA6000 - Launcher
0100C07018CA6001 - Baten Kaitos 1
0100C07018CA6002 - Baten Kaitos Origins

You need to put the patch folder into the folder for the Baten Kaitos 1 partition (0100C07018CA6001).
Create that folder if it's not there.
I did indeed put it in the folder ending in 6001. I dumped 6001 (BK1), ran the patch and put the folder under */emulation/storage/yuzu/load/0100C07018CA6001 and I still get the game in japanese.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To dismay of me and multiple fans of the original Baten Kaitos games on GameCube, Bandai Namco decided to remove the original english VA from the Switch remaster, leaving it only with the Japanese VA. I have been trying to see into the possibility to swap the original audio files from the GameCube release into this new version but I don't know how feasible it is.

I came across this amazing tutorial on how to mod Paper Mario, that even includes a section on sound editing and it looks promising (anti-spam wont let me post the link here).

My first objective in this quest was to retrieve the original VA sounds from the Gamecube .iso file but when I tried to access the file system using Dolphin, it has no folders or identifiable files, just a bunch of files with no apparent extension (see attachment), and for now my progress is blocked.

I was wondering if anyone here with more experience in modding could give me some clues on how to procceed.
What the hell is VA, just say voice acting.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
So your folder structure looks something like the following?
Code:
*\yuzu\load\0100C07018CA6001\BK1_EnglishDub_v0.9beta\romfs\Data\StreamingAssets\*

That should definitely work, assuming
  • you haven't disabled the mod in the game-specific settings
  • and you're actually running the US version (0100C07018CA600*) and not the JP version (0100F28018CA400*)

Draconiss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So your folder structure looks something like the following?
Code:
*\yuzu\load\0100C07018CA6001\BK1_EnglishDub_v0.9beta\romfs\Data\StreamingAssets\*

That should definitely work, assuming
  • you haven't disabled the mod in the game-specific settings
  • and you're actually running the US version (0100C07018CA600*) and not the JP version (0100F28018CA400*)
I dont see an option to disable or enable the specific settings,

And it is the correct US version. I am running it on a linux / steam deck if that helps.

byounghusband

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update:

With the help of EvilBakura I was able to get this game working in English and it is a glorious day! Make sure to update your switch firmware ;) haha. I’m so excited! Thank you so much to helsionium for fixing a critical error in judgment from the Baten kaitos development team.

—————————————————————-

Can someone help me? Im suprised i got as far as i did haha. I managed to jailbreak my old switch with atmosphere and i also managed to get a Baten Kaitos file and patch it. how do i load the game onto the jailbroken switch? im super confused.

——————————————————————

I’ve figured out how to add it after two days haha but now it doesn’t work. I just get a black screen and it quits after that because of an error. All I want is to play the game in English with remastered graphics.

Last edited by byounghusband,

EvilBakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can someone help me? Im suprised i got as far as i did haha. I managed to jailbreak my old switch with atmosphere and i also managed to get a Baten Kaitos file and patch it. how do i load the game onto the jailbroken switch? im super confused.

——————————————————————

I’ve figured out how to add it after two days haha but now it doesn’t work. I just get a black screen and it quits after that because of an error. All I want is to play the game in English with remastered graphics.
I'll send you a dm

Reactions: byounghusband

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
Release: Baten Kaitos 1 dub mod - Version 1.0

Download link: https://files.helsionium.eu/BK1_EnglishDub_v1.0.zip

Features:
  • All spoken dialogue and battle voices are in English now.
  • There shouldn't be any out-of-order dialogue left.
  • Voice magnus taunts now all have correct subtitles.
  • The English voice actors and recording staff are now listed in the game's ending credits
  • Reverted all text changes regarding alcohol use, Taintclouds and Mizuti's grammar, even in non-voiced dialogue.
Prerequisites:
  • In order to create the modded files, you will need a RomFS dump of the game.
    These versions are supported by the patcher in order to make the modded files:
    • 0100F28018CA4001 (Japanese version), game versions v1.0.0 / v1.0.1 / v1.0.2
    • 0100C07018CA6001 (US/EU version), game versions v1.0.0 / v1.0.1
    • 0100A86018CA8001 (Asian version), game versions v1.0.0 / v1.0.1
    • Other game versions may or may not be supported.
  • Note that the game consists of three partitions.
    For Baten Kaitos 1, you need to dump the one ending in *001.
    Yuzu seems to be the best tool to make a RomFS dump of the game at the moment.
  • You need Java 8 or newer on your system to run the patcher, preferably a 64-bit version.
    If you're having problems running the patcher perhaps try a more recent version than Java 8.
Usage:
  • Drop the files from my zip folder into the folder with the appropriate title ID or the "romfs" directory containing your RomFS dump
  • On Windows systems, simply run "patch.bat".
  • If you're not on Windows, open your system's console, navigate to the folder with my patcher and run
    "java -Xmx1024M -jar BKHD_Patcher_v1.0.jar"
  • If the patcher completes succesfully, there will be a new folder named "BK1_EnglishDub_v1.0" containing the modded files.
  • Copy this folder to the Yuzu mods directory (*\yuzu\load\--insert title ID here--) or the Ryujinx mods directory (*\Ryujinx\mods\contents\--insert title ID here--)
  • For use on a real Switch console, move the "romfs" folder contained within the new folder to the Atmosphère LayeredFS folder (*\atmosphere\contents\--insert title ID here--)
Please report any bugs here or via DM, especially any game-breaking bugs.

Known issues with the patcher:
  • The patcher sometimes fails with a "destination file checksum wrong" error.
    Just try again, it will eventually work. Retrying probably won't work if there's a different error, though.
Known issues with the mod:
  • Sometimes, the displayed text doesn't exactly match the spoken dialogue. Unfortunately, these errors seem pretty much unfixable.
  • When text languages other than English are used, there will be some scenes with out-of-order dialogue. I might eventually fix this, especially if I ever decide to revert the changes they made to the German text.
  • The Asian version (0100A86018CA8001) is supported in principle, but because it doesn't support English as a text language, I don't really see any point in improving the compatibility with this version any further.
  • I can't guarantee 100 % compatibility with other versions than the specific version (region & game version) that was used to create the patched files. Future game updates may break the mod.

Grand_Papillon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i uploaded on google drive all the files already patched for both games
if anyone was having problems obtaining romFS files etc... you can just use this and drop this folder in the sd card

( if not allowed i'll remove it )

Could you please upload v1.0? I am unable to patch the game for some reason (patcher fails to create a pached file and says it's because I have ran out of RAM, even though this is not the case)

EvilBakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could you please upload v1.0? I am unable to patch the game for some reason (patcher fails to create a pached file and says it's because I have ran out of RAM, even though this is not the case)
Done

Here is the link:

-Deleted to save space on my google drive, check my latest upload in the thread for the new version-

this new upload has both patches again

Baten Kaitos 1 patch v.1.0

Baten Kaitos Origins patch v.0.9

Symply put the atmosphere folder in the SD card and say yes if it asks to overwrite files, and that's it

This upload is for the US/EU versions of the game, If you are using the Japanese version rename the folders

0100C07018CA6001 to 0100F28018CA4001 for Baten Kaitos

0100C07018CA6002 to 0100F28018CA4002 for Baten Kaitos Origins

Last edited by EvilBakura,

Ketotrophos

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you so much for this! I have nothing against the Japanese voice actors but they're simply not the ones I'm nostalgic for when playing this game. I've played the undub of the Gamecube version before too so I don't even have the novelty of hearing them for the first time.

I've noticed when starting up a new game of BK1 that the text for Melodia's "Something wonderful may happen to you" cuts off after "wonderful" (so the text only says "Something wonderful", she keeps talking, and then the next line works fine.) Is this one of those instances of text being unable to be changed because it's reused somewhere else?

Also saw you plan on making different patches so people can pick which version of Chaotic Dance 2 they want. I know you said the original Gamecube versions aren't your priority but I just wanted to say I appreciate it because I really don't like the awkwardly cut remaster version. So thanks for that too.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
I've noticed when starting up a new game of BK1 that the text for Melodia's "Something wonderful may happen to you" cuts off after "wonderful" (so the text only says "Something wonderful", she keeps talking, and then the next line works fine.) Is this one of those instances of text being unable to be changed because it's reused somewhere else?
No, but they apparently changed how the text is handled in that scene between versions. It works fine on 1.0.0, but it's indeed broken on 1.0.1 and later versions. I did a full-playthrough test run only with game version 1.0.0, so I didn't catch this problem. It should be rather easy for me to fix, though. It's just not severe enough to warrant a new release on its own. I've noted it down, though. Thanks for the report.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
Can we consider version .9 as final for the origins version?
Not quite, because it needs an update to fix some text issues with game versions 1.0.1 and 1.0.2, among other things. I've also experienced a weird bug with the voices randomly cutting out in some scenes. At the moment, I don't know what caused this.

Moreover, it turned out my PC's RAM was faulty, but I think it's fixed now. It's possible that my patches have been affected by that hardware failure as well, since I noticed some files were getting randomly corrupted.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
Release: Baten Kaitos Origins dub mod - Version 1.0

Download link: https://files.helsionium.eu/BKO_EnglishDub_v1.0.zip

Features:
  • The user of the patch can now pick any of the three versions of the song "Chaotic dance 2" during the patching process
  • The English voice actors and recording staff are now listed in the game's ending credits
  • Compared to v0.9beta of this mod, only a few minor improvements have been made to the text
  • Supports game versions v1.0.0 to v1.0.3 (Japanese or USA/EUR versions)
    • For full compatibility, you will have to play with the same version number (not necessarily the same regional version) that was used to create the patch. If you don't, you might encounter buggy text, especially in battle - I can't prevent that.
Prerequisites:
  • In order to create the modded files, you will need a RomFS dump of the game.
    These versions are supported by the patcher in order to make the modded files:
    • 0100F28018CA4002 (Japanese version), game versions 1.0.0 to 1.0.3
    • 0100C07018CA6002 (US/EU version), game versions 1.0.0 to 1.0.1
    • Other game versions may or may not be supported.
  • Note that the game consists of three partitions.
    For Baten Kaitos Origins, you need to dump the one ending in *002.
    Yuzu seems to be the best tool to make a RomFS dump of the game at the moment.
  • You need Java 8 or newer on your system to run the patcher, preferably a 64-bit version.
    If you're having problems running the patcher perhaps try a more recent version than Java 8.
Usage:
  • Drop the files from my zip folder into the folder with the appropriate title ID or the "romfs" directory containing your RomFS dump
  • On Windows systems, simply run "patch.bat".
  • If you're not on Windows, open your system's console, navigate to the folder with my patcher and run
    "java -Xmx1024M -jar BKHD_Patcher_v1.0b.jar"
  • If the patcher completes succesfully, there will be a new folder named "BKO_EnglishDub_v1.0" containing the modded files.
  • Copy this folder to the Yuzu mods directory (*\yuzu\load\--insert title ID here--) or the Ryujinx mods directory (*\Ryujinx\mods\contents\--insert title ID here--)
  • For use on a real Switch console, move the "romfs" folder contained within the new folder to the Atmosphère LayeredFS folder (*\atmosphere\contents\--insert title ID here--)
Please report any bugs here or via DM, especially any game-breaking bugs.

Known issues with the mod:
  • There are about 15-20 malfunctioning dialogue voice lines (missing words or parts of sentences, mostly in the middle of the affected lines). The voice files are okay, so I have no clue what could cause this.
  • Sometimes, the displayed text doesn't exactly match the spoken dialogue. Unfortunately, these errors seem pretty much unfixable.
  • Future game updates may break the mod (the text and/or the voice part).
With this, I'm wrapping up my work on the Baten Kaitos Remaster for now. Thank you all for your support! I've included special thanks for "all testers at GBAtemp.net" in both games' credits. @RadiantHistoria , you've been listed in the credits by name for your important contribution regarding the editing of Unity bundle files, without which I couldn't have done any of this.

Last edited by Helsionium,

fmalust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've followed your steps twice, and I can't get the English mod working for Origins. I'm not sure what's wrong. I followed your steps precisely both times, and it just won't work. Unsure if it's just me (which is most likely is, even though I don't know what I did wrong).

EvilBakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you so much Helsionium for all your work! You made this remaster really worth it! :D

This time, because i saw the " For full compatibility, you will have to play with the same version that was used to create the patch. If you don't, you might encounter buggy text, especially in battle - I can't prevent that ", i managed to get the european/american version too, together with my japanese one, and patched them both individually instead of renaming folders like before

I chose to use the Japanese Gamecube version of Chaotic Dance 2 because it is the uncensored one, containing the lyrics " praise the lord, etc"

So, for anyone wanting to use em right away, here they are:

-Deleted, check my latest upload-

Last edited by EvilBakura,

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
This time, because i saw the " For full compatibility, you will have to play with the same version that was used to create the patch. If you don't, you might encounter buggy text, especially in battle - I can't prevent that ", i managed to get the european/american version too, together with my japanese one, and patched them both individually instead of renaming folders like before

Sorry, I should have been more clear: The regions don't matter, but the game version number (1.0.0/1.0.1/1.0.2/1.0.3) does.
So for example, a patch created with JP version 1.0.1 will be fully compatible with the US/EU version 1.0.1 and vice versa. But a patch created with JP version 1.0.1 will not be fully compatible with any other version number, whether it's the JP version or not.

And by the way, thanks for your posts! I know some people have trouble with my patcher, so I appreciate it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty