Hacking Banner/Icon Edit,Save Edit, Manual Edit VC Games

ChiboSempai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sooo
im trying to put sonic and knuckles into comix zone (dont worry i own both games, i just want the convinience of s&k on my wii lol). iv got everything edited perfectly, except the name of the game on the banner, it still says racer x when i open it up. problem is, " Sonic & Knuckles" is too long to fit where it says racer x, and when i tried to insert extra places to type, i got a bricked channel. when i left it as it was, it was fine. is it possible you can make a 0.app for genesis with more space to type a name? also, i dont know if it has been covered (i think people were mentioning it when i was scouring through some of the pages), i cant edit the save game image and stuff for a gen game

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
ChiboSempai said:
sooo
im trying to put sonic and knuckles into comix zone (dont worry i own both games, i just want the convinience of s&k on my wii lol). iv got everything edited perfectly, except the name of the game on the banner, it still says racer x when i open it up. problem is, " Sonic & Knuckles" is too long to fit where it says racer x, and when i tried to insert extra places to type, i got a bricked channel. when i left it as it was, it was fine. is it possible you can make a 0.app for genesis with more space to type a name? also, i dont know if it has been covered (i think people were mentioning it when i was scouring through some of the pages), i cant edit the save game image and stuff for a gen game

You will have to unpack the the .05 app and replace the rom manually. Use the tools found at this site: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=100556

QUOTE(loesjoel @ Sep 10 2008, 10:05 PM) Is there a Sega Master System 00.app template?

I can upload the Sonic Master System for you.... tomorrow.

ChiboSempai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RadioShadow said:
ChiboSempai said:
sooo

You will have to unpack the the .05 app and replace the rom manually. Use the tools found at this site: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=100556

how does that help? the injected rom and everything works fine. the only thing i cant do is change the name on the banner cause "Sonic & Knuckles" takes up more characters than "Ranger X"

rabapab23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I got my 1st tg16 banner to look perfect now with the custom 00.app!!! Thank you very much!! But I've been reading through the thread, and I didn't see anything about changing the name of the game in the save file. Anybody know what to do here? Everything works great, except when you click on the save file, it still says Alien Crush..

dritz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For tg16 games there is a file called TITLE.TXT in the 00000005_app. Just edit the txt file to change the name in the file from Alien Crush to whatever you want. Its that simple.

rabapab23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dritz said:
For tg16 games there is a file called TITLE.TXT in the 00000005_app. Just edit the txt file to change the name in the file from Alien Crush to whatever you want. Its that simple.

Thank you! I knew it would be something totally easy......

Edit: Wow... title.txt.. I can't believe it was right there!
smile.gif
)

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
The Mega Drive 00.app dont work and the Genesis one dont work as well, if you edit the brylt.
Will be there a fix in the future?
Oh and have someone done an Banner for C64?

thanks in advance.

edit

I forgott to mention that editing the Save Game Name for C64 works the same like NES games.
Go to the 01.app and search for: 0062616E6E65722E64617400002F62616E6E65722E62696E00

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mean to be rude at all, but you guys are really lurking in the wrong thread. My vcfe thread addresses most of the issues you guys are having and if you have an issue I need to hear about it there as I don't follow this thread and therefore can't help you. That's not to say you won't get help from others here, but seeing how my tools are still in development, I can actually address bugs.
smile.gif

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
Tutorial for C64

Attention - This Tutorial requires basic knwoledge in making Custom Banners!
Attention - Dont ask for WAD's or Rom's!
NOTE - This Tutorial is based on Internatiol Karate as host WAD!

Banner Editing

First download my C64 00.app template
Download via megaupload
Download via mediafire
Download via rapidshare

Basically it works the same way like other Systems.

If you forgott how to do, check this tutorial -> Link

Save Banner Editing

For this you will need GBADecomp
Download via megaupload
Download via romhacking.net

Copy your selfmade Save Banner to the GBADecmp Folder.
Put after the name of your Banner an ".gba" ending.
This is important, because the Program can handle only .gba files.

- Compress your Banner to LZ77
1. Select under Input your Banner
2. Select under Output where you want to have your compressed file.
Give it as name "LZ77_banner.tpl"
3. Mark under Recompress "LZ77Comp"
4. Press Go!

12652800at7.png

Now you will have an "LZ77_banner.tpl.gba" file.
Just Remove the the ".gba" and you are done.

Edit the Save Name

Open the 01.app with an Hexeditor and search for:
0062616E6E65722E64617400002F62616E6E65722E62696E00

I use for this Hex Workshop, other Editors should work fine as well.

C64 Game Injection

Download this Easy Pack (Contains Wiicrazy's CustomFrodo)
Download via megaupload
Download via rapidshare
Download via mediafire

For this Tutorial i will take the Game "Monty on the Run" as Example.

- get the ik.fss from the LZ77_snapshot.bin
1. Go the 05.app Folder
2. Copy the LZ77_snapshot.bin and paste it in the GBA LZSS Folder
3. Now start the unpack.bat and you get the ik.fss file

- Configure Frodo
1. Copy the ik.fss File in to the Frodo Folder
2. Open Frodo and go under Tools to the Preferences
3. Select under "Device 8" your Game (for this Tutorial it will be "monty.d64".)
4. Press Ok!

- The C64 prompt
1. Type
Code:
LOAD"$",8
Press Enter on your Keyboard
2. Type
Code:
LOAD"MONTY",8
Press Enter on your Keyboard
3. Type
Code:
RUN
Press Enter on your Keyboard (after some seconds the Game should start)

64915857sb9.png

Notice for Step 2.:
Sometimes you have to put the file type ending as well, for Giana Sister it looks like:
Code:
LOAD"GIANA.PRG",8

- Make an Snaphsot
1. Go to Tools and select "Patch and Save Snapshot"
2. Out the name "ik.fss" and Save it
3. Now you have in the Frodo folder the ik.fss
4. Copy the ik.fss file and paste it in the GBA LZSS Folder
5. Start the packer.bat
6. copy the LZ77_snapshot.bin to the 05.app Folder

Note: The Snapshot should normaly done on the Title Screen of the Game.

If you have done all steps correct, then it should look like this:

Zparks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently injected 'Sonic 3 & Knuckles' into a pre-existing Megadrive (PAL region here :S) VC title. Now I'm wanting to add the banner to match; not to mention editing the save file icon and prettymuch everything.
I followed the initial guide on this thread; and it sorta worked; I no longer had the banner for the 'original' game; but I didn't have the one for S3&K. Basically I'm wanting to edit these but already spent a couple hours of frustration trying to do the banners, and when I to edit the manual and whatnot; they weren't as described. So in short.. Help??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Was a dark time