Hacking Bad wad bricked my Wii...Help me!

_emperor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have a Wii 4.2E completly softmodded...Today i made a wad with the usual method (Loadstructor-1.7+cLoader-1.6)...I had already several games installed working ok and i made a quick batch of the new ones...After Wii booted and tried to access the new games i noticed that Wii freezed (second page of wii channels)...i thought something was wrong so I started deleting the previous games to understand which game caused it..If only i didnt do that...

I re-installed all new wads and after rebooting my Wii freezes (
wacko.gif
) after the health notice. It seems that the bad wad is now at the first screen and causes Wii to halt...

I have tried to place BootMii at SD card but it won't load, also tried the Bootdisc but again doesnt load.

As far I understand I have to access emergency secret menu with some way (either via the adapter or the gamecube controller hack), but after that point what?

My Wii is still under warranty but I am afraid to ask Nintendo to repair it, help me if there is way to fix it

Ps. I have no NAND backup or preloader installed and Bootmii is installed as IOS
blink.gif

Ps. My Wii is boughted after 23/03/2009..is there any excuse i could come up with Nintendo service to avoid fees?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plus shipping.

you might want to open up the wii carefully and really brick it. if you are successful, ninety wont be able to fix it and you wont get charged. if you arent successful, you still get the same idiot fees.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
_emperor said:
As far I understand I have to access emergency secret menu with some way (either via the adapter or the gamecube controller hack), but after that point what?
I think you're refering to savemii here (or savemiifrii, which is the thing where you put a GC controller in port 4 and press up, down, left and right at the same time on the D-pad while booting...the GC controller may have to be taken apart to allow that to work). I think you better google that a bit to see how to go from there.

Oh, and the brick you're referring to is called a "banner brick". Perhaps that makes googling a bit easier. Though I seriously doubt it'll give you anything good to help you.
glare.gif
Installing banners without precautions is like fucking without condom: it's more fun, but it could seriously hurt if you're careless.

_emperor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
thanks for your information guys, i now realized how dangerous was to install wads without any nand backup...

My question now, since i will take Wii to service...I talked with them over the phone and they said if nothing was harmed they will give me new Wii (i assume they are talking about modchip)... Will they be able to see that i have soft modded the Wii and perhaps deny fixing for free or probably will just "format/recover/..." so all data will be lost and I will be ok?

PS. Any idea if this guide will work in my case?

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
That guide obviously requires a modchip. You mention that Bootmii is installed but wont load - have you tried formatting a different SD card and transferring the files on your existing card to that new one? Might be worth a shot as Bootmii can be a bit finicky when it comes to sd cards.

changeling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or if you had preloader it shoud have been as easy as booting into HBC, load wad manager and uninstall the offending wad.

Not sure if you do manage to get into bootmii if it can boot into HBC. (I've had preloader forever, put bootmii on and made a nand backup much more recently.)

WiiShizzza

Graphics juggler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
_emperor said:
thanks for your information guys, i now realized how dangerous was to install wads without any nand backup...

My question now, since i will take Wii to service...I talked with them over the phone and they said if nothing was harmed they will give me new Wii (i assume they are talking about modchip)... Will they be able to see that i have soft modded the Wii and perhaps deny fixing for free or probably will just "format/recover/..." so all data will be lost and I will be ok?

PS. Any idea if this guide will work in my case?

If you got the HBC and cios installed, they'll see your softmod and you can be sue they charge you with a high fee.

//EDIT:
if you can see the healthscreen, try to access the maintence mode with holding Plus + Minus at the healthscreen and then while pressing those, hit A.

kitt050383

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If he has bootmii installed as an ios even he could use cboot2 rev16 I believe to delete the waqds with wasdmanager.. not a gaurentee though.... the rev16 works off the bootmii ios...

Hope this helps cuz if not back to big-n ure wii will go....,
-kitt050383

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
@Op : Did new batch of channels you installed contains a boy and his blob? That game's banner known as a banner bricker already...

This guide will work for you : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=194182

But you need a modchip that supports autoboot and plenty of games... Chips that have already configured to autoboot is preferable for the job, you can specify as such when purchasing...

_emperor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
WiiCrazy said:
@Op : Did new batch of channels you installed contains a boy and his blob? That game's banner known as a banner bricker already...

yes i did :-(...and imagine i removed all wads and run game through usb loader and worked ok so i thought it freezed randomly....

i have read various guides and it seems that if i have made a proper soft mod i might be able to boot autodiscs via recovery mode, i do remember have installed various cIOS from guides but mostly for USB loading, not so sure i have installed the proper CIOS for backup discs... but i have to buy a GC controller and here they cost like 30 euros new... perhaps i could take my chances with big N service and see if i can get a clean format and not get caught..

btw, how they will see homebrew channel, i mean they will have to access start page and see it or they can do it vial special utils/mode..?

also i have made sure that health screen auto presses A...maybe this will get me caught...

anyway wii here is already sold 150 so if they ask me for like 80 euros to fix it i am thinking of getting a new one....or install a modchip and fix it myself!

PS. I remember have installed bootmii as IOS, i tried pressing +&- at boot screen nothing, also holding reset didn't worked either...

_emperor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just an update, last week finally got my free Wii replacement...Hopefully this time i will take all cautions to prevent bricking it again, many thanks to all!
wink2.gif

_emperor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
yes that was the cause my friend, i wish i never got it installed, but now i will make things right hope so
gbasp.gif

To sum it up, i have a virgin 4.2E that i will later soft mod. In order to avoid bricking in the future i should

a) Take NAND backup
b) Make the system trucha bug
c) Install Priiloader_v0_3b
d) .......

I have also seen the RescueMii-core v17 that has several WADs that supposed to help you overpass bricking.. As far i understand their main purpose is to trick system in order to boot from CD/DVD media and after accessing maintenance mode restore system... Do I need to take that step also, or this will mess up things?

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for the necro bump, but this has been on my to do list for a while, since I sw this post originally. Seemed like the best place for this, rather than creating a new thread.

I've modified the A Boy and His Blob icon so it doesn't brick. I don't have the right info/software to insert the forwarding .dol, but if you take this as the base and create a USB Loader forwarder channel from it then it should work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?q8ngdk29jdfgopw

Make sure you are brick protected before you mess with this. If you're not sure, don't play.

Notes: I took out StarField.tpl from the icon and removed the 97 references to it in the icon.brlyt

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol