ROM Hack Backing up 2Mbit-Saves that are too big to be

Pikachu025

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wanted to do this quite a while now, but it wasn't really a problem yet.

However, now that the japanese Pokémon DP-release is nearing, I would like a way to backup these saves. Although I do not know if they will use a 2Mbit-Save, it's very likely (Pokémon RuSaEmFRLG used 1Mbit).

Now, I have a very old GBA-Flashcard (256Mb; four SRAM-Saves 512Kbit each), and a Supercard SD. Is there ANY program that would allow me to backup these 2Mbit-NDS saves uncompressed?

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What type of flash card do you have? Most of the flash card clients have an option to back up the raw save data banks.

Pikachu025

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I already stated in my first post that I have a Supercard SD and a very old GBA-Flashcard (which is just that, a flashcard. Nothing fancy, no loader, no nothing).

FApro256.png

I am aware of ETool, but that compresses the Saves to 64k first, so some don't work cause they are oversized. Like my MKDS-Save for example.

And larvi, what do you mean by "Most of the flash card clients have an option to back up the raw save data banks."? I want to backup DS-Saves, not GBA ones.

davr

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Try rain/rein...I've successfully backed up and restored the 2mbit save from my Daigasso! Band Bros before. It should work on any fatlib supported card (like supercard, gbamp, m3, magic key 2/3).

linky

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pikachu, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to do. Are you trying to back up the save from an original game or from a game that is on the flash cart itself? For the FlashAdvance you can backup and restore all 2mbit of the flashcard save area in 512kbit increments by using the XtremeLink client under the Save Games tab

Pikachu025

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think you are misunderstanding me, yes. I want to backup a 2Mbit save that's too big to be compressed to 64k/512Mbit, like my MKDS one that's overloaded with Ghost data. Now, all backup-progs that I came across either:

- Need to compress the 2Mbit save to 64k. (ETool3)
OR
- Hang at startup. (rein)

One thing I could try is using the FA-card to run rein, I didn't try that yet, but I expect a hang too actually...

(And I use FlashManager for my GBA-card writing/reading, so reading the save's no problem)

EDIT: Using rein on my GBA-Flashcard gives me a "CF/SD is not contained or not support device." error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...