Hacking Atmosphere to be estimated released in Summer 2018 for ALL firmwares.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I think they're mad you're not working on it Cearp.
haha kind words but there's not much i could help with!
i'm working on a little something at the moment though, but it's kid stuff compared to these guys.
(a pokemon crystal save file region converter)

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we forget the PSP and timezone crap for a bit and get back to the fact that it's been confirmed that everyone can basically update to latest firmware right now and still enjoy CFW in the summer?

Stop spreading false statements. Up to 4.1.0 MAY be avaialble for CFW in summer, barring no issues from the developers side (family issues, bugs, ect.). 5.x will have to wait as they've already stated.

D

Deleted User

So let's quickly backtrack to explain what happened. In response to a comment inregards to piracy I said "I'm going to avoid piracy. Mainly for the fact the switch isn't even 5 years old yet. And I definitely don't want a psp on our hands"

Dont diss psp. Diss vita is you want to diss something, but vita's problems certainly not in piracy.
Which already confused me. Why was he bringing up the vita. And so then I got notip confused with him.
"I'm not dissing the psp. The psp died because of piracy. Easy as that, I'm stating the truth"
that was my response to Reploid. In regards if piracy didn't or did kill the psp. It doesn't matter since sony themselves stated piracy was a problem, which a invidual did bring this up. Crushes developers.
So did the PS Vita? Oh wait it didnt.

Also - Sony put out what - four revisions of the PSP the time, makes you wonder why - if the market simply was saturated, because of piracy...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/psps-biggest-problem-is-piracy-sony

So he's are saying Sony played a role in this as well?

then that big ball of confusion came into play. I had absultely no clue what you where trying to get at. Only further confusing me later
Because if you look at the two as a non educated consumer, they practically appear to be the same. Its the same product, same concept, same mass appeal.

Also look at this:

comparison_chart.jpg

Piracy for PSP titles according to numbers some people "produced" - probably by skimming torrent tracker data, was about twice, to three times the issue on PSP, than it was on the DS.

Now correlate this with the fact, that PSP games where much larger, so torrent use would have been more prevelant, as supposed to DDL - which had to skew the data, so lets lower that percentage.

Then compare overall sales figures with the DS, and a more congruent image starts to emerge. So even though piracy was an undeniable issue - it didn't boost general audience, or high visibility title sales even close to DS figures.

Seems like people didn't take to the system, if you ask me.

But of course not, if you ask the industry: http://www.siliconera.com/postgallery/?p_gal=73937|4
(Also the source of the graph above..)

edit: Also, if you believe that data, PSP downloads surpassed PC piracy numbers:
https://torrentfreak.com/the-most-pirated-games-of-2009-091227/

- by a factor of 2x on even the most niche titles, compaired to the most popular PC titles at the time - that also werent very successfull going forward (Phantay Star now is a dead franchise, Dissida had unsuccessfull sequels...), which seems a little odd...

edit2:

Torrentfreak has top PSP piracy DL data according to their metric for 2008 as well:
https://torrentfreak.com/psp-piracy-is-trending-up-despite-sonys-claims-081222/

Lets look at their metric:

(Average is an issue, if you compare it to the two top spot, but it seems to indicate a 2:1 ratio. Of pirated to bought.)

Lets take their Top 2 figures, and compare it to other console systems at the time (actually one year later, but hopefully that doesnt skew the metric too much).

Pirated copies in 2008 (PSP) and 2009 (all other systems) according to Torrentfreak torrent tracker data:

PSP
1 Final Fantasy VII (650,000)
2 GTA Vice City Stories (550,000)

Xbox 360:
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (970,000)
2 Street Fighter IV (840,000)

Wii:
1 New Super Mario Bros. (1,150,000)
2 Punch-Out!! (950,000)

PC Games:
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (4,100,000)
2 The Sims 3 (3,200,000)

This seems to be more congruent with general system sales at the time. Lets hope the time windows were comparable. Now with lower system sales - percentage wise PSP piracy has to have been "more of a problem", but to argue - that it "killed" the PSP, when Sony still put out four revisions of the hardware, trying to compete in a "lost" market - doesnt seem to be the correct conclusion.

In fact, as an absolute number PSP Piracy seemed to fall in line with other system numbers at the time. Now the question becomes, how much of Piracy in general is "opportunity driven". (So - "how much" would it have scaled with system sales, if Sony had sold more base units.)

edit3: Xbox 360 and PSP had comparable global lifetime sales for hardware, apparently (- so we dont even have to "scale up" the PSP numbers to do that comparison):

7 Xbox 360 (X360) 85.80 Million
[...]
9 PlayStation Portable (PSP) 80.82 Million

edit: NDS sales figures for comparison:
2 Nintendo DS (DS) 154.90 Million

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

So lets put this into perspective again.

Torrentfreak data suggests, that PSP piracy was "at expected levels" for top titles. Industry data would like to indicate, that Piracy in selected niche series titles, which became derelicts in the future, was 4x to 7x higher than Torrentfreak indicated for the top titles on the system - which is very odd. But also, according to Torrentfreak, comparative values were in line with other console systems at the time. One of which had very similar lifetime sales.

The industrys public NDS piracy data we can safely ignore - as NDS games were populated via DDL at the time, which they had no real insight into.

(But I can certainly tell you how it felt at the time, when everyone with a Flashcard had 60 games on their NDS "to go" compared to 4 on the PSP, because of storage space limitations... It also didn't seem like NDS piracy was 10x less popular, because you had to order a flashcart. They were ubiquitous, so was their advertising.)
Which this giant 8 paragraph post was edit several times. Most of those paragraphs didn't exist in the original quote. Anything past the first edit didn't exist. So only adding to the mess.
And of course, this resulted in me making a idiotic response. Plus I was also responding late at night, which is generally a bad idea.

THIS makes me simply mad.

Spent half an hour looking up PSP piracy figures from different sources. Made an argument, for why this opinion has to be BULLSH*T (piracy percentages on the Xbox 360 where slightly higher, at arround the same numbrs of units sold), then you cant follow the argument - post a "be all buddy, buddy - i think we both are on the same track" snippet

- and the thread subsequntly gets swarmed by people wanting to celebrate a different quote for another two pages.

Make a big banner - put "dont even try, just tell the world how you feel" on it, and post it at the top of this forum, never to be removed.

You've just displayed negative media competency - because even when someone layed out in front of your face, why the figures in an INDUSTRY RELEASED study, contrasted with independently gathered figures - and how industry figures showed unexplainable spikes by 400%-700% - you still went with what the article said, that copied those figures and went with the story they were presented at an industry event.

And when someone pointed this out to you, you thought - they were also going with the questionable figures, and strengthend the notion.

Then no one cared to comment.

What is this? Its not a forum - its a freaking feed at this point.

I dont need a response, this can be swamped, but I had to least metion it, because thats the biggest wtf moment I had on the entire net for the whole year, and if I hadnt - a tldr misrepresentation of a position it took me 30 minutes to protocol would have ben the last thing that closed the argument.
And then once again
Nobody here wants to keep beating that dead horse except for monkeyman.
Which as you can see, all because I made a simple throw away line about the psp this entire thing has became a utter giant mess. So there is that shitstorm covered. So I wasn't trying to beat on the psp. And if sony says piracy is a problem, it's straight from the horses mouth. Which... most of the time you can generally trust that. So are we all good now?

Last edited by ,

StageProps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The potential problem with updating to the latest firmware, as others have already stated, is that we don't know what "somewhat less convenient" means. It could mean a more advanced install process, or it could require a specific game or another console on lower firmware, or something else. I'm going to stick to 4.1.0 at least until that's cleared up.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Can we forget the PSP and timezone crap for a bit and get back to the fact that it's been confirmed that everyone can basically update to latest firmware right now and still enjoy CFW in the summer?
just because there is some nice low level hardware flaw (that a modchip will probably be able to give us hax no matter what)
doesn't mean that we can update to any fw at all and expect to hack our switch from the software side.

user vs kernel hack, even if there is some deep kernel exploit that these hackers have found that can't be patched, they still need a way to access it.
if we keep updating to new fws, the hackers still need to find user exploits to get to that low level stuff.

(or something like that, i might be a bit confused) :)

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean this OP that states 5.x will be inconvenient (aka, must wait or have something else to make it work)? When a dev advises not to update, it's best to take their word for it.

Plus, why blow your 5.x eFuse?
None of that makes what I said a false statement. It's even the title of this very thread.

Every firmware out right now will get CFW at the same time (1.0.0 might be sooner).

Reactions: peteruk

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean this OP that states 5.x will be inconvenient (aka, must wait or have something else to make it work)? When a dev advises not to update, it's best to take their word for it.
upload_2018-3-28_16-33-4-png.118963

Plus, why blow your 5.x eFuse?
More inconvenient doesn't mean you have to wait, it could mean anything. Having to buy a game, hardmod, etc.

Although yeah, it might be best to not blow the extra e-fuses

Reactions: Selim873

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
The potential problem with updating to the latest firmware, as others have already stated, is that we don't know what "somewhat less convenient" means. It could mean a more advanced install process, or it could require a specific game or another console on lower firmware, or something else. I'm going to stick to 4.1.0 at least until that's cleared up.

SciresM is not advising to update to 5.x. He is advising to stay on 4.1 tops. I am now having doubts whether i should update to 4.1 with BotW 002 cartridge and enjoy the game, or stay at the stock 3.0.0 I got w/o BotW only to be able to use HBL.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SciresM is not advising to update to 5.x. He is advising to stay on 4.1 tops. I am now having doubts whether i should update to 4.1 with BotW 002 cartridge and enjoy the game, or stay at the stock 3.0.0 I got w/o BotW only to be able to use HBL.
I see no reason not to update to 4.1.0 to enjoy your game, unless you want Userland Homebrew NOW.

(Full disclosure, I'm on 4.1.0 myself currently)

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of that makes what I said a false statement. It's even the title of this very thread.

Every firmware out right now will get CFW at the same time (1.0.0 might be sooner).

Then go with the unknown, but don't cry butthurt when 4.1.0 is easier/simpler to implement than 5.x. Keep in mind not everyone on this forum is hacking competent. Stating to the general userbase "Update! Update!" could cause some poor soul out there to brick their console just following blindly what they read.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
I see no reason not to update to 4.1.0 to enjoy your game, unless you want Userland Homebrew NOW.

(Full disclosure, I'm on 4.1.0 myself currently)

Yeah, that is what I am thinking about. Userland Homebrew at the present time is not my priority. I am playing Afterbirth+ but have Botw waiting in the box. It's just that being lucky getting 3.0.0 out of the box when a lot of people wanted to get that FW.. If 3.0.0 meant getting CFW sooner than 4.1 I'd wait. But it seems like it is not like that any more

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice