Apple Announces iPhone 5

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A single app will probably not use this amount of RAM for the next 5 years,
but a dozen of apps could use that, it's called multi-task, and I'm sure you already knows what it is.
LOL.

Maybe you should look deeper into iOS, before stating mere knowledge as facts.

iOS multitasks in a different way. Most processes are simply suspended, saved to flash and then restarted (not resumed) only when you select it again from the multitask bar.

The process is effectively not using any RAM as it's NOT running anymore.

But hey, Apple sucks!

When I had an iPhone, it happened to sometimes, when using too much apps at same time
(to say the truth it happened most when listening to music while playing plants vs zombies),
the iPhone froze for a few seconds, and then restarted itself.
Most certainly MobileSubstrate crashing, which is a jailbreak issue. Nothing to do with iOS itself.

The point of having more RAM is that you can keep more apps multitasking which would lead to a faster performance on the phone.
Not on iOS. First part of the post.

Here you go guys: http://www.macworld....ally_works.html

iOS simply doesn't need as much RAM as Android does. IT'S A FACT.

I didn't jailbreak my iPhone, still iOS crashed while using much RAM.
You always try to make me look like a apple hater, but that's not the case,
the fact that I had an iPhone proves that.

The thing that everybody is complaining, but you refuse to accept is:
Everybody is disappointed with iPhone 5 because they expected something innovative and revolutionary
This iPhone 5 was just more of the same,
it didn't inovate in anything,
and is inferior in many specs to many android phones.

No one is saying Apple sucks or iPhone suck,
we're just saying it didn't impress us.
But specs don't really mean very much when the device is already very capable and Apple controls the hardware / software. When you control both it becomes easier. Also, we don't know many of the actual specs, I mean, we don't know the CPU clock rate, how many cores the CPU has or anything like that. Heck, we don't even know how much RAM it has.

Saying the specs do not matter is saying almost every iPhone is the same than thing.
The better the specs, the better the product are.
If I'm not mistaken, it was already posted that the new iPhone has 1GB of RAM,
wich is lower than the 2GB of S3.
As posted, RAM on the iPhone DOESN'T MATTER. Also, until people get the phone in their hands, we have no idea.
If you think RAM = better, does that mean my computer from 2004 that has 32GBs of RAM is better than my super crazy awesome $4K gaming desktop with 12 GBs of RAM? (Obviously these are all theoretical).

If you think only specs make a phone good, I would love to tell you you're an idiot. Software it half of the party. And apps worth using.

(I'd like to point out I use a Galaxy Nexus as my smartphone of choice)

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Saying the specs do not matter is saying almost every iPhone is the same than thing.
As posted, RAM on the iPhone DOESN'T MATTER. Also, until people get the phone in their hands, we have no idea.
If you think RAM = better, does that mean my computer from 2004 that has 32GBs of RAM is better than my super crazy awesome $4K gaming desktop with 12 GBs of RAM? (Obviously these are all theoretical).

If you think only specs make a phone good, I would love to tell you you're an idiot. Software it half of the party. And apps worth using.

RAM on iPhone doesn't matter?! Are you crazy?
RAM is essential! It's not just important for apps, it's important for the OS in general, which includes so many stuff I could spend a day texting.
About the RAM comparison, that was just nonsense.
We're comparing the specs of 2 phones high-end of nowadays, this is the best way to judge which one is the best.
Good software on shitty hardware won't do magic, that's why corporations always try to make their products better by upgrading it's hardware.
Everything I said is obvious, denying this is being stubborn and idiotic

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

RAM on iPhone doesn't matter?! Are you crazy?
RAM is essential! It's not just important for apps, it's important for the OS in general, which includes so many stuff I could spend a day texting.
About the RAM comparison, that was just nonsense.
We're comparing the specs of 2 phones high-end of nowadays, this is the best way to judge which one is the best.
Good software on shitty hardware won't do magic, that's why corporations always try to make their products better by upgrading it's hardware.
Everything I said is obvious, denying this is being stubborn and idiotic
You need to know that iOS is much less of a RAM and power hog compared to Android (+ all the software tweaks by the companies).
Besides, some versions of the GS3 also had just 1GB RAM.

iPhone 5 is likely running on a dual core A15, which is not really lacking in power too.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The iPhone is not really what I expected in regards to features. NFC would have been an excellent addition (all those bonus cards could be replaced by a swish and flick of the phone) and the LTE is currently just BS. We'll probably never see the LTE working internationally with the new iPhone 5. Also very relevant to the topic in regards to LTE: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/want-global-lte-roaming-on-iphone-5-dont-buy-it-from-att/. AT&T blows internationally. Again.

Also the new iPod design is soo close to the new Lumia models by Nokia it's almost just too hilarious. Regardless of the comparison of the new iPod being 2 nanos on top of each other, the general design is just too close to N9/Lumia design.. Haters gonna hate:

original.jpg

Lube_Skyballer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The iPhone is not really what I expected in regards to features. NFC would have been an excellent addition (all those bonus cards could be replaced by a swish and flick of the phone) and the LTE is currently just BS. We'll probably never see the LTE working internationally with the new iPhone 5. Also very relevant to the topic in regards to LTE: http://arstechnica.c...uy-it-from-att/. AT&T blows internationally. Again.

Also the new iPod design is soo close to the new Lumia models by Nokia it's almost just too hilarious. Regardless of the comparison of the new iPod being 2 nanos on top of each other, the general design is just too close to N9/Lumia design.. Haters gonna hate:

original.jpg

?
Looks like Apple was first, with their Nano and all. And Lumia ripped it off.
Whatever. Like they say in Dutch: "beter goed gejat, dan slecht verzonnen"/"better well stolen, than badly made up"

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The iPhone is not really what I expected in regards to features. NFC would have been an excellent addition (all those bonus cards could be replaced by a swish and flick of the phone) and the LTE is currently just BS. We'll probably never see the LTE working internationally with the new iPhone 5.
I'm quite impressed that Apple managed to only squeeze out 3 LTE models to ship for many regions (GSM for US/Canada, "international" CDMA and GSM for Europe/Australia/Asia including Japan).The S3 had 9 variations of LTE models.

LTE will start off just like 3G. Complicated, messy and slow. In the future I think you can safely say that there are "4G World Ready" devices, but right now? No.

Given that NFC isn't that prominent yet, I don't think it has THAT much of an effect on the market now.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are people still on the "It looks so much like another phone!" thing?

There's only so much you can do with a device that has no buttons and one touchscreen. Plus you shouldn't give a shit what it looks like, just what it brings to the table.

Reactions: 4 people

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
all Apple needs to do is change the name and the packi
[media]http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded[/media]

Apple could give people the same thing and they wouldn't know.

Holy fucking shit. All apple needs to do is change the name and the packaging. They won't know the difference. Zero dollars for R&D and Apple fans will still not be able to hold their excrement to get their hands on one. :tpi:

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It turns out that the A6 chip is not a dual core A15 at all. It's a newly designed chip by Apple based on ARMv7. Still no idea on the number of cores and clock rate.

I guess that is the "next big thing". However I'll let benchmarks and actual tests do all the talking. Media can be overrated sometimes.

WolfSpider

Trophies
Website
northernillinoisweathercenter.com
XP
Country
United States
It turns out that the A6 chip is not a dual core A15 at all. It's a newly designed chip by Apple based on ARMv7. Still no idea on the number of cores and clock rate.

I guess that is the "next big thing". However I'll let benchmarks and actual tests do all the talking. Media can be overrated sometimes.
Probably dual core because LTE doesn't support quad core.

finkmac

Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country

What does that even mean?
I'm pretty sure that quad core phones don't work with LTE. That's why the American Samsung Galazy Slll is only dual core.
Its not compatibility its battery drain. Remember how battery draining early 3G was? Its exactly the same thing. They take out the quad core processor so that the phone's battery life is longer.

WolfSpider

Trophies
Website
northernillinoisweathercenter.com
XP
Country
United States

What does that even mean?
I'm pretty sure that quad core phones don't work with LTE. That's why the American Samsung Galazy Slll is only dual core.

That's like saying T1 lines aren't compatible with hexacore processors…
I found the info on a few sites like these, but I don't think it was ever confirmed. I'm also not sure if this would apply to all quad core processors.

http://www.androidpi...s3-release-dual
I can answer that in 3 letters: LTE. While we don’t have 100% confirmation that this is the reason, it’s being reported that the incompatibility between the quad core Exynos 4412 and the US LTE data networks was the reason for the “downgrade”. The HTC One X ran into the same issue, and even though it shipped with a quad core Tegra 3 internationally, the US version also featured a dual core chip due to LTE networks.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's like saying T1 lines aren't compatible with hexacore processors…
I found the info on a few sites like these, but I don't think it was ever confirmed. I'm also not sure if this would apply to all quad core processors.

http://www.androidpi...s3-release-dual
I can answer that in 3 letters: LTE. While we don’t have 100% confirmation that this is the reason, it’s being reported that the incompatibility between the quad core Exynos 4412 and the US LTE data networks was the reason for the “downgrade”. The HTC One X ran into the same issue, and even though it shipped with a quad core Tegra 3 internationally, the US version also featured a dual core chip due to LTE networks.
That's because the Tegra 3 and Exynos 4412 didn't support the US' LTE networks, while Qualcomm's S4 did. That doesn't mean that LTE is incompatible with quad-core CPUs.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I like it when people stare at my rack