Apparently the NS won't be BC with 3DS or Wii U

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
  2. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    considering it is not a replace for Wii U or 3DS... or doesnt have the same processors architecture.

well yeah.

Koko-Kun and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  3. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    A lot of people were holding to the hopes that it would be. No biggie that it ain't BC 3DS/WiiU.

4. 03bgood

03bgood Banned

Banned
    Aug 29, 2014
    United States
    Paris, Illinois
    3DS games will come, but not for awhile. DS games came to the Wii U when Nintendo ended support for the DS. So I imagine 3DS games will come to the NS when Nintendo ends support for the 3DS, in about 2-3 more years and then one more year later in 2020.

Wii U games will just get ported over. We already saw ports of Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon in that 3 1/2 minute trailer reveal. Although those could possibly only be tech demos.

Last edited by 03bgood, Oct 26, 2016
    Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  5. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Well of course, the Switch doesn't have a touch screen or dual screens. It'd be much too cumbersome to try and play 3DS games without touch and downright impossible to play WiiU games.

6. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    The NS doesn't have a touchscreen or dual screen? Wait, what?

NS GamePad is basically a Wii U GamePad 2.0 which you can use it anywhere in the world and goes without saying, it is touchscreen.

7. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    @Saiyan Lusitano :unsure::unsure::unsure:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-have-no-backward-compatibility.445759/
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/why-swi...y-and-other-possibilities-workarounds.445777/
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/backwards-compatibility-is-a-must.446191/

also, there is a nintendo NX category (aka nintendo switch)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

its more like a tablet with no touscreen but bluethoot controllers... the hardware is inside the tablet (unlike the wii u gamepad wich is just "a client") you should read the news here at gbatemp...
    people are rumoring the dock has extra gpu or provides more cpu power which i personally think it's bullshit

in the annoucement video https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-reveal.445544/
    you don't see anyone using their fingers or "stylus" on the screen, so we are confident the device doesn't have a touchscreen
    thus, i think it's enforced because when you put the device on the dock, it covers the screen up so how do you use the touchscreen if the thing is closed?

Last edited by migles, Oct 26, 2016
    KingVamp likes this.
  8. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    TBH I hoped it would as it could have something like Nintendont for Wiiu games on it. Oh well

9. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    but nintendont is a job from "hackers" and fans...
    nintendo didnt had anything to do with nintendont...

10. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Well Nintendont is only possible thanks to the backwards compatibility with vWii correct? That is what I meant.

11. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Hardware backward compatibility was out the window as soon as they let us know it was a tegra. There was no question of it.

Software backward compatibility is the only possibility. It's still...possible for the 3ds if there's a touchscreen and other hardware that allow for it, though I don't know enough about how similar the 3ds chip is to the tegra x2 (assuming) chip to know about how likely that is. Either way, it's going to take a lot of work. Wii U games won't be playable on the switch, though.

Something else to keep in mind is they also have to redo all the emulators for every other single system that's currently on the eshop. The real question is...gamecube games maybeh?

Last edited by osaka35, Oct 26, 2016
  12. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I like how people are saying there's no touchscreen like it is a fact. Considering those were dummy units and pre-rendered, not touching screen doesn't mean a thing. Not to mention they said they had more to say.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  13. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Well, that would be strange and going backwards for Nintendo to not use touchscreen on a tablet screen. The trailer of NS was very promising but didn't show a whole lot so I'll wait for Nintendo to confirm on January 2017.

14. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    heh, most likely they will realize their mistake (or did it purposly) and the NEW nintendo switch + upgrade will not only have a touchscreen but you will be able to use it like a wii u gamepad ( can use both switch and tv as dual screen and no dock needed, screen sharing is wireless)