Switch have no backward compatibility.

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by anhminh, Oct 22, 2016.

1. anhminh
    OP

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    [​IMG]

If it true then it would be suck. I may not want to buy it at launch if this true.

2. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    There will probably be backwards compatibility, but only for certain games since they'll have to rebuild the entire game from source for ARM chips instead of the Wii U's PPC.

3. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Not unexpected and not a deal breaker really. I'm eager for new content and am happy to keep my old systems around.

vinipeix likes this.
  4. Autz

Autz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2016
    Venezuela
    Maybe will have software-based compatibility.

inb4 n64 vc for NS.

5. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    the big 1st party titles

Mario kart
    Mario maker
    Smash
    Splatoon

are rumored to be getting Switch port/upgrades/remastered
    so
    rebuying the game for the new system is northing new

Last edited by Ryupower, Oct 22, 2016
  6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    [​IMG]
    I see 3DS Virtual Con$ole games in our future.

7. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Seriously, you were expecting the Switch to read Wii U discs?

8. kyle9252

kyle9252 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    United States
    So you will have to buy them AGAIN on the eShop? WTF Nintendo? Can you give me a free download of the game because I OWN THE DISC? So I paid $50 for SMM, now I have to play another $50 dollars just to play this on my Switch? Fuck off! This console has disappointed me. Hopefully the OS isn't shit

9. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    who knows, maybe it will be possible to link your switch to your wii u, insert the disc you own in your wii u, the switch read it through the wii u and give you a discount for this game switch version. could be possible

10. kyle9252

kyle9252 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    United States
    I bet not. But maybe

11. Noctosphere

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    you will probably also get deals in shop like ebgames where you trade games like SMM for wii u +10$ for the SMM switch version

12. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    There are some butthurt people on this thread all over backwards compatibility. Get over it.

13. kyle9252

kyle9252 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    United States
    I hope the Switch uses Nintendo Network, because it it doesn't, the the 3DS and Wii U will lose online playing(like Nintendo WFC

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'm just annoyed about this. I wanted to be able to play Wii U games on Switch, and I was really excited. But now I'm disappointed.

14. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    People really have gotten spoiled with Nintendo's backwards compatibility where not having it is the end of the world. News flash: they've jumped into a completely different architecture from the GCN/Wii/Wii U, and are using a completely different game storage medium.

15. Noctosphere

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    i wouldnt say butthurt. i can totally understand they want backward compatibility. but personally, i buy a new console to play new games. and when i say new games, i dont mean games recently released, but games i havent played yet. so yes, backward compatibility, but not for wii u or wii. but maybe for gamecube and lower nintendo console ;)

16. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    So essentially this makes the Wii U the lost generation. So few people bought one, including me, and since that's going to be the only way to play Wii U games, those games will forever be lost. Like tears in rain.

17. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Real shame. I might just buy the remake and the sequels and sell everything else. Can't maintain focus on Wii U 3DS and switch. Hopefully at least downloads are supported.

18. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    I totally understand why there is no Wii U backwards compatibility, but I'm sad that there is no 3DS backwards compatibility.

19. anhminh
    OP

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Without backward compatibility, I will have to pay 300$ for a console that have 2-3 games and when I done with them it become 300$ paperweight.

Backward comaptibility was one of the thing that make people decided to buy a console at launch, because it give them something to play while waiting for other title to come out. Also it help low the cost for new console by sell the old one, plus no one keep more than one console at home except real hardcore gamer.

So all in all, it a bad idea to buy Switch at launch without any solid backward compatibility.

20. Pecrow

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    I want the Switch to be all new, improved, and top of the line content!. I have my now semi-modded WiiU and the n3ds (also modded) and will not be getting rid of them any time soon, so backward compatibility on the NX? I dont care for it.