Gaming Switch have no backward compatibility.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without backward compatibility, I will have to pay 300$ for a console that have 2-3 games and when I done with them it become 300$ paperweight.

Backward comaptibility was one of the thing that make people decided to buy a console at launch, because it give them something to play while waiting for other title to come out. Also it help low the cost for new console by sell the old one, plus no one keep more than one console at home except real hardcore gamer.

So all in all, it a bad idea to buy Switch at launch without any solid backward compatibility.
Backwards compatibility didn't sell the Wii U.

Reactions: Pecrow

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also remember Ninty said that the Switch will NOT replace the current consoles, that it was a new thing, a new addition to the family. If they add Backwards Compatibility, it will "replace" the current consoles. (Not that there will ever be a Wii U 2, but you know what I mean)

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Backwards compatibility didn't sell the Wii U.

That's because the Wii U was poorly marketed, many people though that it was simply an add-on for the Wii or similar, many promises were made like a lot of third party developers working for the console at launch, and look at how far the WiiU is now when it comes to the amount of games.

Compatibility is very important, heck, there was an outrage from Sony fans when the newer PS3 models (Slim & Super Slim) were announced to be non-compatible with PS2 games, although they retained PS1 games compatibility, not only that, if you want to lure in people to buy your console, you need to have a strong amount of games in order to get people interested, specially at Launch, but if Nintendo doesn't provide that, what can you do with a Nintendo Switch other than brag?.

No Game No Life.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, do you know how much it would cost to add a disk drive to that stand thing, and then add some way for that disk drive to transmit data to the console (wirelessly, or maybe somehow with induction, because the stand doesn't plug into the console)?

It's not like the Wii U or Wii where they could add backwards compatibility just by doing a bit more coding. Money they save is money you don't have to spend on the console.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the very least, allow me to use the display unit as a Wii U Gamepad proxy. Would allow me to store the Gamepad, and benefit from the NS's better screen (regarding color).
But how would that work? If the stand is just a glorified charging cable + heat sink, it has no chip for streaming data. Heck, the console itself has no chip for streaming data. The controller looks similar to the Wii U gamepad, but that's where the similarities end between the two consoles.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because the Wii U was poorly marketed, many people though that it was simply an add-on for the Wii or similar, many promises were made like a lot of third party developers working for the console at launch, and look at how far the WiiU is now when it comes to the amount of games.

Compatibility is very important, heck, there was an outrage from Sony fans when the newer PS3 models (Slim & Super Slim) were announced to be non-compatible with PS2 games, although they retained PS1 games compatibility, not only that, if you want to lure in people to buy your console, you need to have a strong amount of games in order to get people interested, specially at Launch, but if Nintendo doesn't provide that, what can you do with a Nintendo Switch other than brag?.

No Game No Life.
For all the supposed outrage, Sony only gained market share later in the PS3's life. Fact is, backwards compatibility isn't some big trump card selling point. It's nice to have, but the design of the Switch really precludes it from happening. I feel a younger generation of gamers have become spoiled with backwards compatibility having grown up in the time that Nintendo transition from Gamecube to Wii then to Wii U, all while using the same architecture, so to them anything less is an outrage. The thing is, a lot of thought goes into the design of these consoles, and by demanding backwards compatibility, you're asking for them to handcuff their design decisions around the past or make the console more expensive by including the hardware of past generations for compatibility purposes. With the gameboy and DS series, it made sense so you only had to carry one system with you on the go. For a home console, I see it as something you go for if it fits in with your design, but don't let yourself be held back to force it in.

Last edited by grossaffe,
Reactions: RemixDeluxe

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you ask me, this is a good thing. The architecture of the wiiu was just a beefed up wii. MS and Sony had systems with much lower port costs, which played in ninty's disadvantage when it came to convincing devs to make games for the thing.

Of course, this'll only be a good thing if they headed in a direction that made ports from other platforms easier.

Reactions: the_randomizer

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
But how would that work? If the stand is just a glorified charging cable + heat sink, it has no chip for streaming data. Heck, the console itself has no chip for streaming data. The controller looks similar to the Wii U gamepad, but that's where the similarities end between the two consoles.
I'm not talking about having the NS in the dock. The NS display unit itself contains everything, including a WiFi module (because how else can you do local multiplayer) and the ability to decode the h264 stream that's sent from the Wii U to the Gamepad.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Never understood why backward compatibility was such a big deal. You'll likely still have the old console so the new console can be used for new stuff.
It was the same deal with the Xbone

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never understood why backward compatibility was such a big deal. You'll likely still have the old console so the new console can be used for new stuff.
It was the same deal with the Xbone
Except the Wii U sold like poop, so many people don't have the old console.
But yeah, Wii U backwards compatibility to the Wii hardly mattered.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So you will have to buy them AGAIN on the eShop? WTF Nintendo? Can you give me a free download of the game because I OWN THE DISC? So I paid $50 for SMM, now I have to play another $50 dollars just to play this on my Switch? Fuck off! This console has disappointed me. Hopefully the OS isn't shit
That's Nintendos business schedule since it's possible.

They will pull that switch again.

RockRiver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cause NO backwards compatibility with physical 3DS carts I will not Switch on (buy NX).
3DS has big and great library. I want it on a big screen. Citra Emulation then. Sorry "Big N", dissapoint with you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night