Why Switch has no backwards compatibility (and other possibilities/workarounds)

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Wizardkoer, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Wizardkoer
    OP

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    Many people are disappointed to see that Nintendo announced that the Switch has no backwards compatibility for physical discs/cartridges. This is probably because there's no touchscreen; Both Wii U gamepad and 3DS has touchscreens, and not to mention 3DS has TWO screens while the Switch clearly has one.

Last edited by Wizardkoer, Oct 23, 2016
    SSG Vegeta likes this.

2. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    3DS would be slightly different since 3DS runs ARM just like Switch, so itd be a matter of porting.

Yil and SSG Vegeta like this.
  3. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    Afaik ARMv8 32 bit is backwards compatible with ARMv6, so I can't see where you're getting the "can't be compatible with 3DS software" part.

Gray_Jack, DrkBeam and TuxSH like this.
  4. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Switch will most likely be ARMv8 64bit but yeah youre right.

5. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    Of course, but ARMv8 processors support both 64 bit and 32 bit code as far as I know.

Gray_Jack likes this.
  6. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Indeed they do after a bit of further delving.

7. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Because nintendo realized that sony, which leads the console market, is making a great cash grab by denying their fanboys backwards compatibility and selling them the same old games and remasters again. Nobody seems to care thst the ps4 has no backwards compatability, instead they get hyped for fecken fully priced remasters.

Plus, it makes total sense because they have to achieve a good price point on switch, thus cutting off any hardware features that are non-quintessential to the intended experience. They're not going to shove a touch screen down everyones throats just so that people who probably already have a 3DS can play their games on switch too.

Thomas83Lin and migles like this.
  8. Gamer4647

Gamer4647 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2016
    Wii U and 3DS backwards compatibility isn't happening because those systems have two screens, while the NX has one (Edit lol, I missed that in the main post)
    That's how it should be, but it didn't stop them from porting DS games to Wii U and allowing off TV play, which is only one screen

It will most likely be ports, but at least 3DS backwards compatibility is possible, and it hasn't be revealed if there is a touchscreen just yet
    That was just a crap move by Sony, where instead they want you to get remasters or spend tons of money on annoying subscriptions
    Also, no backwards compatibility would keep a purpose for your old console anyway - also, they did say it won't be replacing the 3DS or Wii U, which might be why it has no backwards compatibility

Last edited by Gamer4647, Oct 25, 2016
    netovsk likes this.
  9. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    It will be a new fresh start then!

10. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States

This video explains it.
    How hard is it to just keep the older systems?

Last edited by cvskid, Oct 23, 2016
  11. SnAQ

SnAQ GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2010
    I don't care about backwards compatibility, I actually think it's a good idea to not have it and shift focus to the current games instead.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5

PSVITAEnthusiast and Gray_Jack like this.
  12. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    backwards compatibility just adds to the cost. Id rather have more power then backwards compatibility. Its trully not needed

13. catlover007

catlover007 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2015
    Germany
    Backward compability to the 3DS isn't that easy. The whole firmware has to be rewritten + the weired 3DS GPU with it's half programable pipeline has to be emulated.

14. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Will be interesting to see what the Switch's eshop will look like for the Wii/Wii U games.

15. Kikirini

Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

May 18, 2011
    United States
    Vermont, USA
    I don't need backwards compatibility. Honestly, I don't plan on unplugging my Wii U or putting my 3ds in storage any time soon, so I'll just play on those as well as the new Switch.
    That being said, I'd be happy if they eventually threw Wii/Wii U and 3ds VC on the system.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    why not just allow the Switch to use the WiiU gamepad?

kingraa777 likes this.
  17. baselhamad

baselhamad "F*CK israel", Free Free Palestine #فلسطيني_وأفتخر

Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    Bethlehem, West Bank. Palestine
    guys we still don't know, nintendo didn't said that there's no backward compatibility, i think there's backward compatibility, if it not, then you beat me

18. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    much like we could eb able to get virtual wiiu (and maybe 3Ds) stuff that are linke dto the eshop account , but maybe no phisical compatibility due to be more economic to made ? (just a idea :v )

19. Monado_III

Monado_III GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    /dev/null
    I'm only bummed it has no backwards compatibility because that means I have to pay full price for the switch instead of being able to sell my Wii U beforehand so I could save a couple hundred bucks on it.

20. Gamer4647

Gamer4647 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2016
    In the case of DS mode on 3DS, a chunk of the firmware is left out.
    In the case of Wii mode on Wii U, that pretty much had 'all' of the firmware (minus the minor changes).

Depends on the hardware and how Nintendo decides to execute it, but at least 3DS emulation could be done. After all, there is the Citra emulator (I think that's what it's called anyway).

Last edited by Gamer4647, Oct 25, 2016