1. mike4001

mike4001 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    Didn`t play online but downloaded a bunch of game updates with SX OS ;-)

2. Nyteshade714

Nyteshade714 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I can't wait until the "I tried to play a backup online and got banned, how do I fix this" threads start popping up in a few days

dgr1592, digipimp75 and Ty_ like this.
  3. Quicksilver88

Quicksilver88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    See I agree with Wazzu that you replied to. I don't think N will be banning people when a legit cart ID shows up a few times even if at the same time. They are likely going to blacklist cart IDs that show up a lot (so someone dumped it forgot to strip the cert and it gets highly sent around) and they are also going to blacklist carts with the cert 00 or FF out.

Really its the same old same old, you want online and backups....have two units. I did that with both x360 and ps3. Likely will wait on Switch to see what happens. I have very little interest in online gaming so even if it gets banned I am not sure I give a fig as long as it can do updates.

CymraegAce likes this.
  4. sychotix

sychotix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    True, but at least with the current implementation of quantum computing... they won't make for good home computers. They are good at doing one very complex task, not a bunch of small short ones. Lots of problems that still need solving, but to get back to the topic...

I hope that Nintendo ends up just banning backups but leaving the console/account alone... but we'll have to see.

Maximilious likes this.
  5. LikeATrollFace

LikeATrollFace Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    I heard someone say that if you're cert is banned you can still update your carts. If this is true, why don't we just use a banned cert to update backups? Not on your own switch ofcourse, maybe use a banned switch, an emulator or try to download it manually from the CDN.

6. Jaimy

Jaimy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Did you make the dump with certificate?

7. don_luca

don_luca Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    Thanks for trying this out, this is most interesting.

So it looks like the issue does not reside with the certificate or the dumps, but in SX OS itself and how it communicates with the Nintendo servers.

8. Crazy-S

Crazy-S Pessimist

Germany
    Has anyone considered, that TX has maybe implementet a "safety" feature that prevents loaded Games to communicate with Nintys Online Gaming servers?

Frexxos and Rel like this.
  9. dashkiller

dashkiller Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Swaziland
    Yes.

10. don_luca

don_luca Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    It doesn't make much sense to cripple your own software to me, but, yeah, this could be a possibility.

EDIT: actually, no, because people have been updating their games using SX OS, so it would mean that they are able to block only the multiplayer servers and I'm not even sure if they are on the same machine with the game patches.

EDIT 2: another interesting point could be that the software used to make dumps isn't 100% accurate and can't make a proper 1:1 dump of the game card.

Last edited by don_luca, Jun 19, 2018
  11. Rel

Rel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Interesting, so backups do not work online without the cart inserted. I wonder if this was done intentionally by TX.

Last edited by Rel, Jun 19, 2018
  12. sychotix

sychotix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Or could it possibly be the already documented anti-piracy techniques that Nintendo implemented? :thinking:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-str...es-implemented-by-nintendo-for-online.507826/

13. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Afghanistan
    I anunaki flavour fart in your general direction.

14. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

TX need to clarify if they added this 'feature'

dashkiller likes this.
  15. don_luca

don_luca Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    Which is a very detailed guideline (which you've clearly not read/understood) on how authentication works.

Everything right now is revolving around the point 4, we have an authentic certificate and yet our authentication gets rejected (after being initially accepted!!! Which means that SX OS *is* somehow transparent to the Nintendo Servers, as we're able to download content, even game updates, from it), so there's something missing in the process to create a proper token.

By quoting the steps we have:

We're able to do this as previously shown, otherwise we wouldn't be able to download content from Nintendo.

This is where the things get messy and we don't have a sufficient level of detail about what happens.

We know that:

Until now, we have been speculating that the biggest problem would be the gamecard's unique certificate, but thanks to @dashkiller 's efforts, we know that there's something more, as he has a dump of his own genuine game card – and it's not working.
    We have all the params we need for the aauth string, yet there's something amiss which, at this point, could be only the dauth token which is kinda strange as we're able to download game updates with it and access the eShop.

Thus, more investigation is needed, because there's clearly something missing in the chain.

EDIT: or, of course, the dumper not doing a proper 1:1 dump.

Last edited by don_luca, Jun 19, 2018
    dashkiller likes this.
  16. andre1891

andre1891 GBAtemp Regular

Gambia, The
    Do you think Nintendo detect the AutoRCM Feature of SX when you installed it?

17. fenomeno0chris

fenomeno0chris GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Is it safe to play online with own created backups, so the created xci file is unique?

digipimp75 likes this.
  18. CaptainLoozer

CaptainLoozer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    We. Don't. Know.

P.S. This is honestly the answer to every "Is is safe to ..." question out there regarding doing anything with your switch that it wasn't intended by nintendo for it to do.

Last edited by CaptainLoozer, Jun 19, 2018
    don_luca and fenomeno0chris like this.
  19. sychotix

sychotix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No, I did read and understood the majority of the post. We don't yet understand what SX OS is doing under the covers to load the game. Any one of the parameters could be off, causing Nintendo's servers to reject online access. What would be interesting is if he sniffed the traffic from his switch to determine if the parameters are behaving as expected when booting through the cart or through SX OS.

For all we know, SX OS could be booting the game as a "digital" game, and since he dumped a cart game, Nintendo rejects it.

don_luca likes this.
  20. CaptainLoozer

CaptainLoozer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually we do know that it's actually NOT doing that since it doesn't actually install the title. It just emulates the cartridge being inserted and redirects it to the SD files.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Anyone, played, online