Anyone else just not impressed with the new generation of consoles? (Rant)

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I more or less stopped caring too much about console generations after the 360/PS3 Era.

I do have a Switch, but its more my wife's than mine, especially since I bought it for her when AC came out. The console idea to me just seems like more of a pain in the arse than it is worth anymore. Most games on them do not seem all that appealing to me and compared to PC it just seems more money to piss away just to even get online.

Honestly speaking the only thing I find appealing about consoles anymore is the hacking/homebrew scene. I am still weighing my options on getting a console for this purpose in the long run myself but its probably nothing beyond the generation I mentioned already.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS5 ain't got games. But on the real note, there's little to interest me buying a PS5, none of its library calls out to me. And outside of that it only serves to stand as an upgraded PS4. Games releasing usually have a PS4 version anyways, if I care (See Miles Morales).

But I don't use my PS4 much either. I did get myself a more competent laptop but it feels like a hassle using the thing or anything related to Playstation.

An Xbox Series X/S sounds more useful just on how people have used Developer Mode now, but that's about it?

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I feel you. I switched to PC gaming for when I get sweaty but consoles will always have the nostalgic vibe I love during the holidays. Who knows consoles might die out replaced by personal computers in smart homes.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The PS3 Store is, for the time being, still operational...though the fact THAT is the only way to purchase and play digital PS2 games is damning by itself. Not to mention that it could shutter at any time, like it almost did a year or so ago; player outcry won't keep it open forever.
Indeed it is yea.

To tell you the truth it is kind of sad that it has to be this way for Playstation, PSNow exists, but Input lag is a massive bitch at that.

I like on how fans were loud enough to keep the PS3 store online but that still isn't going to be forever, and some people including me don't have a PS3, either was sold or never bought in the first place.

And just the fact that these 7th gen games aren't available to the new generation of gamers really sucks for them, some golden stuff was released around this era.

Ah well, at least emulation does exist but it would be nice if the big 3 would keep accessibility of their retro titles, not just Xbox.

I know my last statement is unrealistic but still would you really blame me for dreaming?

Reactions: RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah I feel you. I switched to PC gaming for when I get sweaty but consoles will always have the nostalgic vibe I love during the holidays. Who knows consoles might die out replaced by personal computers in smart homes.
Eh, honestly, I prefer to play on consoles - my computer's pretty old and outdated now, and I like having a YouTube video playing (or a guide or wiki or other resource open) in front of me whilst playing. Also, in my experience, playing with controllers on PC is quite a bit spottier than on consoles - either having issues connecting, or the button configuration isn't the same.

Granted, consoles don't have Cheat Engine or full-on modding capabilities (the Switch is the closest, but even then LayeredFS and EdiZon aren't nearly as good as them), so I do like PC for that, but...yeah, I spend most of my time on consoles.
As a result, I wouldn't be happy if consoles died out.

Bonfyre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game are 100% always the draw for me to get a console. I've honestly never looked at the specs of a console and been like "Hmm yes that sounds great" I will however say "does this game run at 60FPS or more?" etc. I think it makes sense given that the consoles sole purpose is to play the games.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The game are 100% always the draw for me to get a console. I've honestly never looked at the specs of a console and been like "Hmm yes that sounds great" I will however say "does this game run at 60FPS or more?" etc. I think it makes sense given that the consoles sole purpose is to play the games.

Ditto, all that’s ever mattered to me - and I started in 1978 with a couple of boxes on the screen - are the games. If a system has games I want to play, then I’ll get it, specs just don’t come into it, gameplay is my number one concern.

Unfortunately, that generally means I have to buy all of the systems, because they all have games worthy of my attention. I still go back to my old systems as well, there’s always games I never got around to playing, not to mention some great homebrew efforts worth checking out.

Caleck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far there are no Series X or PS5 exclusives that I find worth buying an entire console for. Same went for Xbox One and PS4 back in the day.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So far there are no Series X or PS5 exclusives that I find worth buying an entire console for. Same went for Xbox One and PS4 back in the day.
I know Xbox has almost if not complete day on day release with the games for the console and pc in tandem.

But if Playstation is getting into releasing pc ports then I have to wonder how much time it will be until it's released at the same time as console like *again Xbox.

Then again they just might stick to waiting 3-5ish years until games are released on PC, who knows?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
think I already mentioned this, but imo, this gen is about speed of loading more than anything else. I don't have to wait more than a couple of seconds in tales of arise, and there's absolutely no waiting in ratchet and clank. as for the xbox, if you leave it in standby, then power on the console with the xbox controller, it's on virtually instantly. it's not really about the graphics, I think, this gen, but I did like the water effects in this sea cave of the ps5 version of tales of arise. damn flashy game. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He just means that some conversations are light and funny, Madonna having sex with a dog? Hilarious! Your uncle beating your dog then making you watch him molest it? Kinda ehhhh drama lol
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why do people hate seasons 20 and 23 of south park?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know. People hate and down vote everything nowdays. I see it especially on gamestores, like every game has a negative rating, even though they are good games.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    With south park, they speak the truth, whether people like it or not, then peeps get they're panties in a bunch.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    See ya later fr
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Later gator
    +2
  • G @ GamerGatorDoesTech:
    @BigOnYa i thought that was like a specific comment towards me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol
  • ModernSithLord @ ModernSithLord:
    lol later gator that was good one @BigOnYa
    +1
  • Shgofc @ Shgofc:
    if i think i exist, then, i dont exi...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They started hating later seasons because it turned into half seasons and specials
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People in youtube comments are such dick riders "oh I can't believe he said that to you" clicks on other video "wow this is amazing."
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everyone is triggered nowadays too easy, bunch of pansies.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    1st video- That's why I hate ordering stuff online, if I can just go pick it up myself nearby. Wal-Mart online did that to me years ago, sent wrong item, I went to Wal-Mart by me to return, but noo, I had to mail it back and wait.
    99% of the time ordering online I have had flawless experiences, only time something was messed up, I ordered a big TV from Amazon and it came smashed the box was literally like some one jumped up and down on it, didn't even open it, contacted Amazon sent them pictures, they made me open it and take more pictures, free label to return it and they sent another. So it was relatively painless. But still annoying.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did it just because I don't like you
    Ken you Amazonian Maniac lol
    Cool band name lol
    Their hit song Deliver Us from good, was a banger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Imagine what I'd do if I did like you
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/t1zTwu2R2Ys?si=BqY1TtbKs14wi7z4