Anyone else just not impressed with the new generation of consoles? (Rant)

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are a true gamer you will eventually have a PS5 or a Series-X within the next 3 to 5 years. It's just in a gamers blood to always try the newest and current systems. For me personally I'm going to wait because I already have a ton of games to play so it doesn't make sense to buy new equipment when I still have backlogs from last gen to play. I will agree with you I'm not really impressed with next gen but I do know in 3 to 5 years I will have a newer system.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If I'm honest, I haven't watched much commercials. I get that they're more powerful, but is there anything else? I mean... The dualshock 4 had a mouse pad and the xbone originally came with a Kinect. You can laugh at the later, but at least you got the idea that it could allow for games that literally couldn't be done before. Is there any sort of innovation left? :unsure:
(okay, I've read something about the triggers on the dualshock could 'feel' different. Sorry, but I'm totally uninterested in that)

If you are a true gamer you will eventually have a PS5 or a Series-X within the next 3 to 5 years. It's just in a gamers blood to always try the newest and current systems. For me personally I'm going to wait because I already have a ton of games to play so it doesn't make sense to buy new equipment when I still have backlogs from last gen to play. I will agree with you I'm not really impressed with next gen but I do know in 3 to 5 years I will have a newer system.
I have to respectfully disagree. A true gamer games. The platform is optional. A retro gamer, indie gamer or even a board gamer is in no way inferior to one that buys the latest console(s).

Reactions: Goku1992A

BeastMode6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, the only console I even remotely care about is the switch. I have a PC for gaming at home, and even then I'm struggling to find new games that capture my interest. The only big AAA game that I am interested in the future is Cyberpunk, maybe Battlefield 6 or whatever they're calling it. This past generation has been pretty weak for non-Nintendo games IMO. Most of the great games this gen are indie.

Remember back in the day going from PS2 to 360, or GBA to DS, it was a huge jump. PS5 looks and runs better, but we are reaching a point where games look good enough to me that I just don't really care anymore. I'm more excited for stuff like VR and the switch, because they are new, innovative ideas that haven't already been done to death. Maybe I'm just growing out of gaming altogether.

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally feel like the new gen is uninspiring; devs will push out new games that take advantage of the extra power behind the new consoles but it's not gonna be some experience the Xbone/PS4 couldn't have brought to you; not for a long time
I feel like improving graphics/speed isn't what's needed anymore; I feel like immersion is the next big step (which VR is a huge advancement in, I can't wait for the next step above VR)

D

Deleted User

The PS5 has impressed me to the extent that I intend to buy one. I didn't buy a PS4 because it doesn't run most of the games I want to play at 60fps. The PS5 does. I am a graphics whore without a good PC. I don't care that the console looks ugly.

scroeffie1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
not impressed at all but i already knews this having a strong pc ,+ the human eye has its limits
iam happy with my xbox one x than can do 1440p at 120hz

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Not really a dumb comparison when talking about graphical fidelity not price point or value. I don't know anything about PCMR when just looking at raw numbers.

Consoles aren't a value as people think they are. Sony is likely selling at a loss. 5 yr online alone will bring a PS5 to $700 digital only version.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This argument is too subjective. Even at the end of PS4 lifespan some people are still unimpressed with it. If you have a PS5 that is slightly better looking then a matured PS4 then they are unimpressed with PS4 graphics. And you sure they'll be impressed 3 yrs from now?
...wut? It is dumb if you're just comparing random parts without taking price into consideration, the whole point in comparing hardware is to find the best price per performance. You don't go comparing a $700 GPU to a $500 console, that makes no sense whatsoever, you compare parts in a similar price range to find out which one is the better value for your use case.

And this time around, consoles absolutely are a better value when compared to the price of building an equivalent PC, even when you factor in "online" costs and whatever other unnecessary costs. An equivalent PC will easily set you back at least $1000** today, and that's taking into account used parts, and the recent price drops on Zen 2/2000 series GPUs. A 2080 alone is still gonna cost you $400 used by itself, and while that price will change when Nvidia/AMD release their more mid-range GPUs, you still have to pay for a CPU, motherboard, RAM, case, and PSU at the very least, all of which will push you way over the $500 a console will cost you, and even above the "$700 for 5 years online". And sure, you can talk about Steam sales and upgrades and how a PC is multipurpose and how you can go for cheaper parts or buy a cheapo Dell prebuilt and upgrade that and still get close performance, but all in all, for this particular generation anyways, a console is a much better value overall than building a gaming PC today. In a few years when older PC parts become cheaper, that will change (well, hopefully :P), but as it stands right now, buying a PS5/Sexbox makes more sense than building a new PC.

**Of course, this doesn't take into account someone who already has a gaming PC, but that's a different argument altogether IMO. Upgrading a rig you already have is always going to be the better option over a console IMO, but we're talking about jumping into "next gen", so we'll go with the assumption the average person doesn't just have a nice gaming PC they can/are able to throw parts in.

As for "subjective", duh, but my point is that judging a modern generation by it's launch titles is a bad idea, as console launch titles have never been that impressive these last couple generations. Will they be impressed in 3-4 years from now? Who knows, but I can say 100% for certain that games in 3-4 years will look and probably perform much better than Watch Dogs Legion or Gears or Demon's Souls.

Reactions: Zense

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think most of the graphical/power limitations that devs faced were basically resolved as of the 360/PS3 era. Before that, as a developer, you had to be very aware of the spec of the machine you're working with in order to try to do the most you can (and in many cases this led to some devs finding creative ways to 'push' the limitations of the system, ie; Shadow of the colossus, Wind Waker, Mario Galaxy)
Once you get to the HD gaming era, the developer doesn't really have to compromise much anymore. So, unless their goal is to create something that's graphically breathtaking or hyper-realistic, they pretty much have all the resources they need to execute whatever game concept they might have, and whatever hardware improvements come next aren't going to be as big a deal—the majority of games won't need the extra capabilities.
So, unless you're especially thrilled about the amount of detail on your television screen, there's not a lot to be excited about when a new, higher-end console comes out.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
...wut? It is dumb if you're just comparing random parts without taking price into consideration, the whole point in comparing hardware is to find the best price per performance. You don't go comparing a $700 GPU to a $500 console, that makes no sense whatsoever, you compare parts in a similar price range to find out which one is the better value for your use case.

And this time around, consoles absolutely are a better value when compared to the price of building an equivalent PC, even when you factor in "online" costs and whatever other unnecessary costs. An equivalent PC will easily set you back at least $1000** today, and that's taking into account used parts, and the recent price drops on Zen 2/2000 series GPUs. A 2080 alone is still gonna cost you $400 used by itself, and while that price will change when Nvidia/AMD release their more mid-range GPUs, you still have to pay for a CPU, motherboard, RAM, case, and PSU at the very least, all of which will push you way over the $500 a console will cost you, and even above the "$700 for 5 years online". And sure, you can talk about Steam sales and upgrades and how a PC is multipurpose and how you can go for cheaper parts or buy a cheapo Dell prebuilt and upgrade that and still get close performance, but all in all, for this particular generation anyways, a console is a much better value overall than building a gaming PC today. In a few years when older PC parts become cheaper, that will change (well, hopefully :P), but as it stands right now, buying a PS5/Sexbox makes more sense than building a new PC.

**Of course, this doesn't take into account someone who already has a gaming PC, but that's a different argument altogether IMO. Upgrading a rig you already have is always going to be the better option over a console IMO, but we're talking about jumping into "next gen", so we'll go with the assumption the average person doesn't just have a nice gaming PC they can/are able to throw parts in.

As for "subjective", duh, but my point is that judging a modern generation by it's launch titles is a bad idea, as console launch titles have never been that impressive these last couple generations. Will they be impressed in 3-4 years from now? Who knows, but I can say 100% for certain that games in 3-4 years will look and probably perform much better than Watch Dogs Legion or Gears or Demon's Souls.
Not really dumb when I wasn't using a single gpu to compare to a whole console. I was considering a whole pc which about $1,200-$1,300 you can build with a 3080. Or even $1,000-1,100 with a 3070 build. So that was your misunderstanding.

Just for gaming then ya a console makes more sense value wise. I won't deny that. Unless your PC has a 3080 or a 5800XT. But you are looking at double the price of a console for about a 50% performance gain.

D

Deleted User

PS5 to me looks like an alien space ship.

And.. only 825GB? What a joke! That's nothing nowadays!

PS5 Slim it's gonna be.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Snes to n64 was the real wow moment for me
I agree, although I never got the N64. Going from SNES/Genesis to the first PlayStation, I was shocked by the giant leap. Bought the console on launch day. I played Ridge Racer and Toshinden to death. Good old days. :lol:

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I feel like the problem is still the same:

Graphics>>>>>>Story/Gameplay
While it should be
Graphics=Story=Gampelay

I understand why almost everyone wants the BEST EVA REALISM, but why is that needed if the game is like, 2h and done?

Imagination is limited on some devs, i guess.

For the moment, Nintendo are the only ones who have what i need.

PS: Bonus point for Xbox for that huge catalogue with the ultimate, so we can play titles we could have missed.

Reactions: cvskid

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My son's got a PS4, I never played a single minute on it. Sorry, that's a lie: I changed it's HDD and spend some time formatting and copying shit. Alltough he likes the appearance of the PS5 (why???) he won't buy one soon. He'll only buy one when enough friends got one too. Playing together is more important than upgraded graphics for him.

For me the only option for a first person shooter is my pc, But I mostly play on my swtich, and the last few weeks also on my newly acquired Vita. There is no killer app on the PS5 or Xbox.

Physix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As it is with every piece of technology, at some point its stagnating. We reached a point in console generation where the main focus gets shifted from innovation to persistence (eg. keep customers and sell games). This shift is not necessarily caused by lazy devs or greedy companies, rather what the average customer wants and what they are willing to pay. Current consoles support 4K 60 fps, that*s good. But to be honest the average customer doesn't care if its 30 or 60 or 144 fps, most of them have a 1080p or 1440p TV/screen rather than a 4K one. I also find it very difficult to justify console prizes.

So what's next with PS6 and XBOX Series XX or whatever they will name it? Will there actually be a new console generation? What kind of features will be there? 8K 144fps VR built in with soda stream and grill?

Of course new innovative technology like listed above can be implemented into a new generation, but at what costs?
- Does the average customer wants it?
- How much does it costs to implement 8K at 144fps or what other feature you want?
- Will the customer pay the prize?
Is it worth it from a economic perspective? Are you accepting the risk of manufacturing consoles at higher costs and sell them at lower prize to hope lost money and additional revenue get offset by games/software sold?

I guess MS is going the right way. Away from exclusive titles and instead offering them for both xbox and pc aswell as a gamepass subscription system. This will be an essential part of future where the active subscribers on all platforms combined count rather than sold units of software/games per platform.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
What is really funny is that the new mac mini with apple silicon m1 have more cpu power than these consoles hehe I hope we can upgrade its gpu in the future.

they already came out dead by the new nvidia and amd gpu and new kind of computer cpu.

I know mac is not for gaming so shut up hehe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: