Hacking Answers for Most Common Gateway 2.0 Questions

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
anybody found a way to fix the freeze on the grey line screen? I'm using the stock 4 gig SD card that came with my 3ds xl and I did everything as metioned in the user guide and it's crashing 2 out of 3 times :(
Mine was loading perfectly everytime... until I was showing it to my friend. Now it does the grey line crash about 2/3 of the time lol. Was also having no problems with saving until I set up the shadow link streetpass battle thing. I will also mentioned that the time it did freeze on the "closing software" screen, I had my wifi switch on. I tried it again later with the switch off and it closed fine so I dunno.

its just what happens, Gateways RedNAND loading code isnt perfect yet (your using a Beta)
6.3.0 RedNand loading is less Stable than 4.5 RedNAND

Orichalcos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have a question please
Why pokemon xy rom doesn't work on an updated emunand? ain't the requirment just is that it need 6.1-6.2 fw to work?
So the updated emunand doesn't need spoofing right?

tHciNc

Total Random
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I cant really say, some says its the cards causing it, or it could just be something in the beta, and dependant on something we arent aware of, you could try formatting your card, and recopying laucher, as you can still keep EmuNAND intact with a windows format

jamesalfred

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
What if I want to completely format my 3DS to "clean" install the GW 2.0? Should I just do it regularly from the system NAND and format everything? Or it will corrupt my 3DS? I just want to install 2.0 from the beginning....

aiat_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
ok well i just want to confirm that the dont go back in settings while updating your gateway mode rule(that someone posted here somewhere) is bullshit i set my entire connection then pressed back all the way to settings first page and was still on gateway mode then i did the update and everything went fine i have sysnand4.5 and GWnand6.3 it worked flawlessly so my guess is everyone having probs with this is they do something else that drops em back in sysnand

At least one time I am pretty sure that when I exit from system setting and re-enter it, the GW3D was missing. To reiterate: Going back to main menu from system setting and then going in system setting again somehow loaded the original firmware instead of the already enabled Gw3DS one. There is no harm in making sure people stay on GW3DS one dude, relax!

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, I have not even created an emunand. I have just been using the regular gateway mode on my 4.4 firmware. I am not complaining because I know this is beta and I don't expect it to work perfectly. Just pointing it out for informations sake.

aiat_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
What if I want to completely format my 3DS to "clean" install the GW 2.0? Should I just do it regularly from the system NAND and format everything? Or it will corrupt my 3DS? I just want to install 2.0 from the beginning....

I think when you use the format emunand in gateway menu, it will acutally format the SD card.

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have a question please
Why pokemon xy rom doesn't work on an updated emunand? ain't the requirment just is that it need 6.1-6.2 fw to work?
So the updated emunand doesn't need spoofing right?
Its the way they save. Pokemon and animal crossing are the only ones using card 2 cartridges which gateway is trying to add as feature but until then you can't play either. read up about it on this forum
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wth-slc-nand-nand-saving-ap.356852/

jamesalfred

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I think when you use the format emunand in gateway menu, it will acutally format the SD card.

From what I read around, it will format the "partition" in that SD card that contains the EmuNAND, meaning it won't touch the system NAND. What I really want is to completely format my 3DS, back to it's factory default. Problem is, I don't know if there is a special way of wiping out your system after using Gateway. I'm afraid I might end up going back to factory default with faulty 4.5 OFW.....

You know, sometimes you just want to "clean" everything before you abuse it again :ha:

aiat_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
From what I read around, it will format the "partition" in that SD card that contains the EmuNAND, meaning it won't touch the system NAND. What I really want is to completely format my 3DS, back to it's factory default. Problem is, I don't know if there is a special way of wiping out your system after using Gateway. I'm afraid I might end up going back to factory default with faulty 4.5 OFW.....

You know, sometimes you just want to "clean" everything before you abuse it again :ha:

From the HOME Menu, go to System Settings ➜ Other Settings ➜ Page 4 ➜ Format System Memory.

Reactions: jamesalfred

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country

You can't do that with just software you need to open it up and soldier a little to dump/flash your nand which you just backed up. that way you can always revert back to safe version.

Crimsonflare

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
One thing to add: everyone claims that all online features are disabled on Gateway Mode. Well, I just downloaded all DLC from Fire Emblem... using Gateway Mode.
There´s any other game that can take DLC?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'll ask here, and if you know the answers, add them to the first post.

1. If you are in emuNAND (4.5.0-10), and enable WiFi for streepass, it will download the new firmware and prompt to update. it will save the update on EmuNAND? if you accept the update, will it update the RealNAND?
Someone tested it? (preferably someone who can restore his backup)

I never accepted the TOS for streetpass/eshop, etc.
I thought I could "test" this feature while in EmuNAND without affecting my RealNAND's TOS, and prevent firmware update on my RealNAND.

2. Is accepting TOS on EmuNAND also accept it in RealNAND?

3. What will happen if you update EmuNAND using a game?
(a user with a backup can test it safely)

4. Here, they found that removing any cartridge when entering in Gateway mode prevents the crash in grey scanline screen: http://gbatemp.net/threads/gw-2-0-white-stripes-crash.358568/
if it's confirmed, you can add it to the faq.

5. maybe replace this
If you have an unplayed retail game, you should be able to play it and save in emuNAND classic mode fine. If you have already saved on the game on another system, you are risking losing your save game as it reinitializes or you get data corruption message for Pokemon and ACNL
with an explanation that game having 6.x+ firmware update, playing on realNAND 6.x and EmuNAND6.x are using different save Key and will reinit the card's save.
Are there games that doesn't reinit the save and prevent you from playing because the save is not compatible? only Card2 type?

If you have time, try to organize the faq in sections. If you don't have time, I'll do it next week (I'll have more time while in holidays).
Thanks for creating/maintaining it so far.

Reactions: tHciNc

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wow ... I've been playing a game for 3 hours and then I tried to close it the usual way and It crashed while closing :(:(:( It sucks to loose 3 hours!

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just curious but does gateway modify the system in any way? like when running the Blue Card to install gateway what exactly is it doing? if it is patching something on the system is it reversible and how? also do you only ever have to do the blue card patch once?

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
Here is something odd I noticed while playing around with gateway.

When you add internet connection even with GW3D showing in version the connection will be STORED on both emuNAND AND realNAND. I went ahead in my realNAND and removed the internet connection just incase in future it tries to update but you might want to check and remove the connection asap.
1) format emunand
2) reboot into gwmode > system setting > add network connection
3) reboot > system setting (without going into gwmode) > remove network connection > load up gwmode
4) you should see GW3D version at top and have internet connection on emunand but not on realnand.

If this was just me then ignore this but I suggest you check your connections.

EDIT: tried twice and the settings are saved to both nand when you add it to emunand!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You are not the only one. Another user (forgot the name) added wifi settings in EmuNAND > accepted TOS > updated EmuNAND right away, unfortunately it updated his realNAND instead.
We don't know if it's a bug, or if it exited to RealNAND when accepting the TOS.

Doing what you did (Exit EmuNAND > delete Wifi to real NAND > return to EmuNAND) is safer.

I was wondering if accepting the TOS in EmuNAND also accept it in RealNAND.
Same for Firmware download/update when leaving the streetpass enabled in EmuNAND.

We don't have a real answer to know what's this redirected NAND really redirect.
on Wii, we know that Partial EmuNAND redirect /title/ folder, etc., but with GateWay there's no official words on what's redirected/not redirected/affected in both at the same time.
Other settings or application are shared? (play log, other settings, Mii, etc.?)

Users will have to test different things and report what's been tested.

The only thing we know/discovered so far:
- The Wifi setting is shared when added in EmuNAND.
- The Tickets from applications bought on eshop while in EmuNAND are saved on both RealNAND and EmuNAND. (if the tickets weren't present in real NAND, the application would be deleted right away when booting RealNAND)

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took a look at the official Gateway forums and they are saying over there that the reason people are having their SysNAND updated when they try to update their EmuNAND is because they are not keeping a backup of their nand on their SD card. They say you are supposed to backup your nand from the Gateway menu (which generates the nand.bin file) and then keep it on the card until after you update EmuNAND to 6.3. This is exactly what the instructions say... you can find this in the PDF labeled "GW3D V2.0b1_RELEASE_NOTES" in the firmware folder that you download from the Gateway site.

1) Launch the Gateway menu and select the "BACKUP SYSTEM NAND" option. Follow on
screen instructions to start the backup operation. This requires a minimum of 1GB free
space on the Nintendo 3DS SD card, and will take approximately 10 minutes. Every
console has a unique NAND image and if you accidentally update the onboard system
NAND then there is currently no known way to restore back to 4.5 through software
means. The only recovery option is to restore via hardware using the backed up NAND
image as a last resort. So please make sure you physically copy the file created by our
tool from the SD card to your computers hard drive.

2) Make sure you have backed up any other files you may need from your Nintendo 3DS
SD card or use a fresh new SD card to run the Format emuNAND step in the Gateway
menu. Once this is done (approximately 5 minutes) and for as long as you use the
specific SD card, GW will boot from the specially partitioned SD card and show the
"GW3D" label in the system version number in the System Settings application.

The instructions actually say you can use a fresh SD card when updating the EmuNAND, so I doubt you need the nand.bin for it to work correctly unless Gateway had some kind of oversight when they wrote the instructions. Can anyone who successfully updated their EmuNAND confirm whether or not they had their backup nand still on the card and the same with people who had their SysNAND updated?

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
I took a look at the official Gateway forums and they are saying over there that the reason people are having their SysNAND updated when they try to update their EmuNAND is because they are not keeping a backup of their nand on their SD card. They say you are supposed to backup your nand from the Gateway menu (which generates the nand.bin file) and then keep it on the card until after you update EmuNAND to 6.3. This is exactly what the instructions say... you can find this in the PDF labeled "GW3D V2.0b1_RELEASE_NOTES" in the firmware folder that you download from the Gateway site.

1) Launch the Gateway menu and select the "BACKUP SYSTEM NAND" option. Follow on
screen instructions to start the backup operation. This requires a minimum of 1GB free
space on the Nintendo 3DS SD card, and will take approximately 10 minutes. Every
console has a unique NAND image and if you accidentally update the onboard system
NAND then there is currently no known way to restore back to 4.5 through software
means. The only recovery option is to restore via hardware using the backed up NAND
image as a last resort. So please make sure you physically copy the file created by our
tool from the SD card to your computers hard drive.

2) Make sure you have backed up any other files you may need from your Nintendo 3DS
SD card or use a fresh new SD card to run the Format emuNAND step in the Gateway
menu. Once this is done (approximately 5 minutes) and for as long as you use the
specific SD card, GW will boot from the specially partitioned SD card and show the
"GW3D" label in the system version number in the System Settings application.

The instructions actually say you can use a fresh SD card when updating the EmuNAND, so I doubt you need the nand.bin for it to work correctly unless Gateway had some kind of oversight when they wrote the instructions. Can anyone who successfully updated their EmuNAND confirm whether or not they had their backup nand still on the card and the same with people who had their SysNAND updated?

That makes no sense since when you do "format emunand" it actually removes the backup. I doubt people copied over the backup after the sd card is formatted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy