Hacking Answers for Most Common Gateway 2.0 Questions

tHciNc

Total Random
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Since thread is just same questions being asked over and over with people obviously reading just the last few posts, here,s some info regarding the most common questions asked

BUT FIRST, THE GATEWAY MANUAL AND INSTRUCTIONS DIRECTLY FROM THE TEAM THEMSELVES ARE THERE FOR A REASON, CONSIDERING THIS IS ALSO A BETA WITH POSSIBLE BUGS, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN CAFEFULLY AND FULLY..

=> DO NOT EVER TRY AND UPDATE YOUR EMUNAND IN CLASSIC MODE WITH A RETAIL CART (No Carts have 6.3 update partition yet anyway, so would be prompted to update again)

=> ONLINE PLAY WORKS IN CLASSIC MODE FOR RETAIL CARTS AND ESHOP TITLES

=> Pokemon X/Y and Animal Crossing Roms do not work. MH4, Zelda and the rest do

=> To Enter GW GUI hold L while clicking DS Profile, otherwise will just boot to GW mode (into EmuNAND if available)

=> All roms will play (except Pokemon X/Y and ACNL) on either SystemNAND and EmuNAND via new Launcher (SDK 5.x Icon location patching done)

=> Using EShop on EmuNAND allows purchasing and playing of titles with online play

=> Alot of people experiences more freezes than before, or freezes for first time, stuck at grey lines / screen stays black, some have more issues booting into GW mode using GUI, other cant boot into GW mode without using GUI, Some cant boot into GW using EmuNAND, fragmentation is sometimes the issue, after formatting EmuNAND (which formats SD, havent had 1 freeze) and i only used GUI for backup and prep of NAND

=> Classic mode allows playback of retail carts, Meaning if original cart needs higher than 4.5X, you must have EmuNAND active and updated or will be prompted to update

=> Confirmation that Pokemon retail Cart DOESNT plays via EmuNAND classic mode, save issues, WORKS IF CART IS BRAND NEW

=> If you have an unplayed retail game, you should be able to play it and save in emuNAND classic mode fine. If you have already saved on the game on another system, you are risking losing your save game as it reinitializes or you get data corruption message for Pokemon and ACNL

=> Backing out of system Settings will always return you to SysNAND, even in EmuNAND, also once you have updated your EmuNAND, you will be returned to SysNAND, not the updated emuNAND, So anytime you are in system settings with emunand, once exited, you will need to re enter to run profile hack again to stay in that mode, and it cannot be rerun while in emunand, System settings need to be exited then reentered..

=> EmuNAND is not needed to load roms built on SDK 5.x+

=> If you forgot to Backup your Nand.bin and wanted to but went straight ahead and formatted EmuNAND, you can just run nand backup again to get another visible copy on SD to backup to PC, regardless of whether you updated EmuNAND or not, its the original SysNAND its backing up, which will always be 4.1-4.5 or you wouldnt be able to enter GUI to begin with :)

=> Monster Hunter 4 works, Online will only work with retail cart in classic mode

=> Backup'd NAND using GateWay can be written back with Hardware Flasher (SD/MMC)

=> You can't boot another system's NAND backup using EmuNAND.

Reactions: tbgtbg

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't completely understand the difference between classic mode and... not classic mode.

And yes, I did read the FAQ, but that didn't make me any wiser

tHciNc

Total Random
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Classic Mode is specifically to run retail games, thus allowing retail games that require higher than 4.5FW to run fine, as classic mode without EmuNAND or without an Updated EmuNAND, games would force an update.

Reactions: tbgtbg

Soul_Alchemist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
About online play.

Is it no online play no matter what. Or is it just no online play when using the GW3DS + roms?

Can you play online with your original cartridge games on normal mode?

Can you play online if you boot into normal mode then buy and download a game like Pokémon X/Y to play Wi-Fi battles?

Reactions: Deboog

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Classic Mode is specifically to run retail games, thus allowing retail games that require higher than 4.5FW to run fine, as classic mode without EmuNAND or without an Updated EmuNAND, games would force an update.
Oh, so you can't run retail games in the non-classic mode? (What is that called anyway? EmuNAND mode?)

tHciNc

Total Random
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Oh, so you can't run retail games in the non-classic mode? (What is that called anyway? EmuNAND mode?)

retail games have never worked in GW mode, whether running in either Mode, it will check for EmuNAND if available and load it if it is, otherwise it will just go into the mode via the existing SystemNAND, so in theory there are 4 modes
Gateway Mode on SystemNAND
Gateway Mode on EmuNAND
Classic Mode on SystemNAND
Classic Mode on EmuNAND

Reactions: tyons

dgcool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tHciNc Any word about Monster Hunter 4? Thanks.

brunno159

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Since thread is just same questions being asked over and over with people obviously reading just the last few posts, heres some info regarding the most common questions asked

3) No online Play, tested with Pokemon Retail Cart in Classic Mode via EmuNAND

Will be updated as more becomes 100% clearer

i dont know but going online but getting the mystery gift works. :)

What now? mistery gift works then. So what is missing? Battling? Trading? Friend safari? Can anyone confirm what works?

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
This is very nice, but it really could use some formatting to look better and.. readable.
The info about Animal Crossing, MH4, Pokémon X/Y, and Zelda should be in bright neon colors too, unfortunately just saying "nand-games" (for AC and X&Y) will make some obtuse minds not understand it and KEEP ASKING the same questions again and again.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
retail games have never worked in GW mode, whether running in either Mode, it will check for EmuNAND if available and load it if it is, otherwise it will just go into the mode via the existing SystemNAND, so in theory there are 4 modes
Gateway Mode on SystemNAND
Gateway Mode on EmuNAND
Classic Mode on SystemNAND
Classic Mode on EmuNAND

here is a question to add

i want to know what to do to make a backup of my 4.5 nand , so i go to Gw gui and make a nand backup , but i forgot to take the sd out and put it in my PC and save a copy for safe keeping in case of accidental update, i just went straight to format emunand on GW gui right after i finished backing it up

so can i still take the SD and make a copy of the nand back up on my pc to restore via hard flash , or should i have made the copy of the GW nand backup to my PC before i did the format nand option?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so anyone know how i save the back up nand to my PC? i backuped the nand via GW gui, then i did nand format via GW, now i put the SD in my pc and i dont see the nand backup file, shouldnt there be a .bin file on the root? is it because i did the formatt option after i did the backup, ? what should i do now?
format the sd on my pc and do another nand back up via gw gui, then take the card out and backup to my pc, then put it back and do the format nand option?
where does the nand backup go? to the root of the sd or another directory?

do i need to formatt the sd with the PC or can i just do another nand backup with out doing that,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hello everyone