Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SylentEcho said:
Acekard is better than R4 with Wood?

exzeed said:
i cant help but notice that kosheh's avatar is aesthetically pleasing ...it make me want to watch db evolution...(though i really dont want to watch it considering reviews and how it strays away from the original)Once you watch it you can't unwatch it. It's so bad that it gets burned into your memory forever.

Ok, guys I got this to work on my Wood for Clones, but when it autosaves, it says "Could not write data. Power Off the DS, check Game Card and retry". What do I do?

Well, it's more opinion based, though I much prefer Acekard with AKAIO. Can't R4 run AKAIO?

exzeed
i cant help but notice that kosheh's avatar is aesthetically pleasing ...it make me want to watch db evolution...(though i really dont want to watch it considering reviews and how it strays away from the original)
That movie hurt. Alot. I went into it first as if t was a Dragon Ball (not Dragon Ball Z) movie, and hated it, SO MUCH, then I watched it again in a way where I thought of it as just a movie. I couldn't do it. That movie has such terrible actors, such terrible consistency, such- Nope...no, this isn't a DB Evolution thread...

Let's proceed with the Translation discussion shall we
smile.gif

Kaioken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So kosheh, when can we expect for the next translation patch? and would it finally have some story script translated?

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kaioken said:
So kosheh, when can we expect for the next translation patch?
When it's posted. :J
as of now, it's just handling the gigantic lists this game has. Those will take a while and if you want it to not look like a cat's butt, it may take slightly longer (one of Yamcha's abilities is "BWWF" due to size restrictions; and I'm trying hard to figure out what I can possibly do with it and other gigantic-named skills when I sometimes only have room for 4 characters

QUOTE(Kaioken @ Feb 14 2011, 06:35 PM) and would it finally have some story script translated?
no. never. episode names yes; story script no.

1) this is a fighting game. Storylines for fighting games are as significant as a storyline in Madden
2) most of you guys already know what's happening so translating it would be rather pointless
3) this game's probably gonna come out stateside at some point (probably adjacent to the DragonBall 3DS title) so I don't want to invest *too* much effort into something that a bunch of dudes are gonna get paid for with a simple text insertion tool a nerd wrote which I'm doing for free with just a hex editor and another...thing

plus I don't want half of you telling me "YOU DIDN'T TRANSLATE GOKU'S CONVERSATION WITH RADITZ PROPERLY"

However I can't be a total dick; I'll probably do the tutorials because there's some pretty good info in there

and if people are gonna be all "BUT ELZA'S DOING IT" - Elza's working with like four other people behind the scenes that's why the story things are getting done. I've been doing all the work myself this whole time :/

Oh: And I never told graphics-hacking guy hackotedelaplaque the story mode offset: it's DB17ED

Kaioken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm.. translating the tutorial is pretty smart. but if i really want the whole story script to be translated then i'd just have to wait for Elza's patch to finish which is suppose to be in a week. but i'd probably get kosheh's patch first if he updates it soon.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kaioken said:
hmm.. translating the tutorial is pretty smart. but if i really want the whole story script to be translated then i'd just have to wait for Elza's patch to finish which is suppose to be in a week. but i'd probably get kosheh's patch first if he updates it soon.

Elza's going to have a bunch of things wrong with his patch if he translates the story. He did a BUNCH of things wrong so far and those were just names, attacks, etc. I didn't need to play the patch to know that, lurking his thread said it all.

There's really no point in translating the story cause when it does get localized, people are just going to end up telling Elza how much stuff he did get wrong.

All in all, if he wants less errors, he might want to invest some time in beta testing before releasing the patch.

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Whew. @_@ Translated MOST OF the attack names. I did mostly the onscreen attacks (the ones you see on the bottom screen when you have the abilities set to show)

A lot of them are abbreviated and the reason isn't because they wouldn't fit...it's moreso for aesthetic purposes. I think the lot of you would want the names of your attacks to actually fit on the screen and/or not be all over the place.
tongue.gif

I didn't translate the bottom-screen ultimate techniques - that's for another time.
tongue.gif

But today I altered literally...two pointers the whole time I worked on the patch.
Now, I think I'm gonna toy around with something a lot of you want, but I say I won't do: the game's story...but as I mentioned earlier; I'm not doing the actual story. Just the training sequences between Goku and Gohan.
tongue.gif

Even if you blew through those, there's a lot of stuff you probably missed and you just went on to mash buttons. I wanna make sure you guys get all that.

BTW, what are dad-Goku and Gohan's personalities like? Is dad like "Hey son, listen up I'm gonna teach you this and I'm going quick, so listen carefully" and Gohan like "Okay dad, lemme try"?

alexg1989

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as far as their personalities go, yeah... that's generally how Goku talks...

For Gohan though, he's usually much more reserved and unsure of himself... Have him say something like... "okay... I'll try" or "I'll see if I can do it"... I dunno, something to that effect...

"lemme try" sounds like he just wants to get into it... as though he KNOWS he can do it... It reminds me of Naruto pre-time skip, always rushing into things.... Kid Gohan was nothing like that...

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh okay. :3c

It's easier if you relate personalities to Naruto characters - I've written character scripts for those guys in patches before. :E

Goku is kind of a gung-ho character like Naruto, I'd assume - and so Gohan would be timid like Hinata? Or...just more like a self-doubting child of a proud dad lol?
And I kinda assume that Piccolo is a jerk like Sasuke...but storywise it's in reverse. Little Goku killed Piccolodad; DBZ Piccolo is Piccolo Jr. who's trained to DESTROY Goku, but then when having to fight Raditz he's like "u not a bad dude gokuman"

also GET EXCITED

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
dragonballkaiultimatebu.png

GET EXCITED THAT I FORGOT HOW TO SPELL PICCOLO WHEN WRITING THAT IN
(no seriously this whole post I've misspelled it. I'm so tired ('A`) )

alexg1989

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright... pics look great... can't wait to see more...

like Hinata lol... exactly..

Piccolo = Jerk like Sasuke... ahhhh, I dunno... maybe in his days before he teamed up with Goku to kill Raditz.... but after he joined the Z Fighters... he had more of a hard-line personality... very strict... a loner.....

Can't think of a Naruto character to compare him to lol... not right off the top of my head anyway.... Maybe Anko? Do you know who she is? Or maybe the guy who gave the Genins the Chunin Written exam...

I'm not sure... I think you get what I'mt rying to say, anyway

SABERinBLUE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DID SOMEONE SAY DRAGONBALL CHARACTER PERSONALITIES???

BECAUSE I THOUGHT I HEARD SOMEONE SAY DRAGONBALL CHARACTER PERSONALITIES!!!

GOKU:

-Is a Child

He remains a child throughout his entire life and DOES NOT CHANGE AS HE AGES. That is VERY IMPORTANT to the character of Goku. He learns more things but he never acts differently.

-Is Extremely Stupid

He's a retard. His extreme naivete is really his most important feature and while this doesn't often translate to bad tactical decisions, when he makes good tactical decisions there's a good chance he's just operating on instinct and doesn't really understand the reasoning behind anything he does. One of his best defining moments is when he shows Gohan to his friends for the first time and they are all STUNNED that he (Goku) knows what sex is. In fact, it's not unreasonable to imagine that even after having HAD sex Goku has no idea what sex is. He thought marriage was a food.

-Loves to Fight

What I imagine would be most important to you translating this game is that when Goku is up against a terrible opponent (unless that opponent just killed one of his friends) Goku is always thinking "wow it'll be fun to fight this guy" before "wow I better defeat the shit out of this guy before he does something really fucked up to the universe". The first time he squares off against Cell and Buu he makes it clear that he considers it a great honor to be able to fight people as dangerous as them. This translates into his teaching style in basically the way you'd expect, he's very gung-ho, plus his unending optimism means he's a great positive motivator. When training Gohan he has to rely on Piccolo for the "tough love" stuff though.

-Loves to Eat

Standard anime hero trope. He can and has eaten enough to feed a large army in one sitting.

-Loves All Life

He only intentionally takes one life in the entire run of the manga, Piccolo Daimaou. He means to kill Frieza, albeit way after ANY other character would have long since gotten tired of Frieza's bullshit and ended his sorry ass, but Frieza survives his final attack. Buu doesn't really count because Goku only kills him when he's utter pure evil and wishes him back in the form of Uub almost immediately. Lives have indeed been lost because of Goku's reluctance to kill and continued insistence that everyone can change, on the other hand, lives that do become worthwhile and instrumental to the survival of the universe have been SPARED this way, such as Piccolo and Vegeta.

GOHAN

-Is Extremely Smart

Throughout his young life he's been constantly pushed by his mother to study, study, study, something which has been undermined by Goku, who just wants to teach Gohan how to fight, whenever they both can get away with it. Gohan really does like books more than fighting though, and by the time of the Buu Saga he's trying to put fighting behind him.

-Is Extremely Strong, Especially When Angry

Gohan has absurd potential as a fighter, and experiences LUDICROUS power spikes when he's pissed off, usually at the death or perceived death of someone he loves. This is eventually weaponized in the form of SSJ2, which Gohan is the first in the universe to attain.

-Is Pretty Timid as a Child

He mostly gets this from his mother, and it isn't until he hits SSJ2 that he truly puts fear behind him. From an extremely young age, however, his berserker rage mode completely disregards fear.

PICCOLO

-Is a Villain

This is something that's really played down in the American dub of DBZ since we didn't get Dragonball first and no one knew he used to be a villain. There he's basically this wise but cranky guy that doesn't like Goku very much. In truth, though, he's the cold blooded reincarnation of a Namekian, Piccolo Daimaou, who is the PURE EVIL HALF of the Namekian Kami, discarded so that Kami could become, well, the Kami of Earth. He is not pure evil as Daimaou was, but he still has the heart of a killer and until he settles down around the Namek Saga would GLADLY kill Goku. And while he has settled down by that point, he gets a great speech during the Android Saga where he makes it very, very clear to Dr. Gero that he is NOT LIKE THE OTHER Z-FIGHTERS, who would probably spare Gero's life if Gero pleaded. Piccolo is a killer and will not hesitate to do so if he feels the situation calls for it.

-Loves Gohan

Piccolo kidnaps Gohan to train him to defeat the Saiyans early in the show. He does this simply for pragmatic reasons since he thinks, rightly, that it will give the world more of a fighting chance if there are more strong fighters for Earth, and he doesn't want the Earth to be destroyed, he just wants to rule it. As time goes on though, he finds himself bonding with Gohan and by the time the Saiyans arrive, Piccolo ends up sacrificing himself to save Gohan. Now, that doesn't mean he's not still very gruff and cranky with Gohan, but it does mean he won't ignore him or try to kill him.

-Is Extremely Intelligent

Piccolo is a master strategist and is by far the most logical of all the Z-Fighters.

VEGETA

Vegeta's probably the most dynamic character in the entire story. He goes through the most changes and really is the most different at the end.

-Is Royalty

Vegeta is the proud warrior prince of a dead race, which doesn't diminish his sense of entitlement at all. He's pompous, murderous, and he gets to be this because he's the strongest there is. He loses to Goku in the Saiyan Saga only because of the interference of Goku's friends; he is CLEARLY a much stronger fighter than Goku at that point. Overall he is an utter genius at combat, impressing even Piccolo with his capacity for tactics and bluffing.

-Is Obsessed With Being the Best

After Vegeta sees on Namek that Goku has completely outclassed him, he becomes completely obsessed with taking the lead again. He trains like a man posessed to attain SSJ after Goku does it and every time Goku effortlessly surpasses him it infuriates him even more.

-Loves His Family

As he is constantly trying to surpass Goku his time on Earth is changing him, though he doesn't realize it at first and then won't admit it to himself. He truly loves Bulma, his wife, and his son Trunks, but finds himself so completely overwhelmed by how completely this flies in the face of his Saiyan upbringing that during the Buu Saga he allows himself to be powered up by Babidi to match Goku's SSJ2. Babidi thinks that Vegeta is under his control but Vegeta's will is far too strong; he is truly just giving into the animal within. After his actions result in Buu being released, Vegeta realizes what a fool he's been and tells Trunks that he loves him before sacrificing himself in a final explosion he hopes will destroy Buu. After this fails and he's brought back to continue to help the fight against Buu, he swallows his pride and sets his rivalry with Goku aside. He still doesn't like Goku, but he respects him and he's willing to settle for being second best.

If you need any more just let me know!

SylentEcho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
koaheh said:
Do what it says.

At least change the memory type of the save since it doesn't seem to want to work with your old, corrupted save

also cool clonewoodHaha tried everything. I'm ordering an R4. Found a good online shop.
biggrin.gif

machomuuWell, it's more opinion based, though I much prefer Acekard with AKAIO. Can't R4 run AKAIO?
How often does their team release new firmware to run latest games? As often and as reliable as Wood?

exzeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@SABerinblue

I like your post.

i've read every single words of that Dragon Ball characters personality post.

And that is a good guideline for this or any translation patch in any dragon ball games.

SylentEcho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey SABERinBLUE, your post there really points out the difference between the personalities the dub gave us and their true personalities. I'm putting that up on my blog crediting you. Can you do Freeza and a few others too?

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SylentEcho said:
machomuu said:
Well, it's more opinion based, though I much prefer Acekard with AKAIO. Can't R4 run AKAIO?
How often does their team release new firmware to run latest games? As often and as reliable as Wood?

acekard2i is a good card and maybe second (after dstwo)

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
holy crap, SABERinBLUE
that's so much info I could now write fanfiction featuring those characters. That post was amazing
Thank you for the character personality summaries :3c
neninef said:
Did you guys check that pokemaster post on gamefaqs? o god.. millions of mottos. No combos, but at least we can see what each motto does
smile.gif
yes :E
Now I just have to build up the paitence to type in everything at least 8 times

Lol, there's like 10 characters I overlooked with easy-peasy translatable attacks that I don't even need a wiki or a friend to translate for me. I'll just go
knock those out in an hour, brb

EDIT: Nope, I just don't know how to update my own patch lol. I just repatched it and all the names appeared. I'm just testin' em out in the meantime

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hello