1. 3,864

Front-page

More free updates are on the way for Animal Crossing: New Horizons. The latest event, set to begin on January 28th will be Festivale, which will bring new clothes, reactions, and items, along with the holiday itself which will take place on February 15th. That's not the only update in the pipeline, though, as Nintendo will also be adding Super Mario themed items later this March, with the specifics left unmentioned in the trailer. Lastly, there will be an Animal Crossing Sanrio Collaboration Pack released worldwide in March, which contains amiibo cards featuring Animal Crossing and Sanrio characters wearing each others' outfits. These cards will be useable in-game with New Horizons as well.

2. Discussion (25 replies)

3. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    Woot, glad Nintendo keeps adding free content to this game

Got back into it a couple months ago and definitely happy to have more stuff to do

Now all they need to do is add back the nook store upgrades and I'll be happy with the game

Deleted User likes this.
  4. ZoNtendo

ZoNtendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

are they working on a paid DLC in parallel?
    Because this update does not add something we've never seen before

5. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    I appreciate that Nintendo is adding free content to the game...

But then I realize this "free content" should have come with the game on launch anyway...

6. Mama Looigi

Mama Looigi =<^.^>=

United States
    Do these “Sanrio” characters include Retsuko? Please? I didn’t know I needed Aggretsuko x Animal Crossing!

Brayton1-7 and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  7. WaffleRaccoon

WaffleRaccoon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Alright, let's settle this here....

This event actually looks kinda cool and cute... :D

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  8. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Hope they don't screw up like Bunny day and make the whole thing last almost half a month.

That being said, if I play Animal Crossing again it will probably be the 3DS game. Or maybe Animal Crossing e+ English translation.

Scott_pilgrim and x65943 like this.
  9. mattyxarope

mattyxarope GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I really shouldn't have played Stardew Valley before playing this game.

It just feels so empty - there's nothing to do...

fvig2001 and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  10. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    They are fundamentally different games

Animal crossing is a real time life sim so you are meant to play a little bit each day - stardew is a more traditional game

If you don't wanna wait 24 hours before each 20-30 minutes of fun then animal crossing is not the game for you

Alternatively you can time travel every day but it kinda ruins it after a bit

11. mattyxarope

mattyxarope GBAtemp Fan

United States
    But even irl you have actual goals that go beyond building stuff.

I think that's where this game fails.

12. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    Collect all the bugs, fish, fossils, paintings. Get an island rating of 5. Get the best villagers. Design your own map. Play the stalk market. Design your house interior to get highest house rating. Collect your favorite furniture sets. Visit other people's islands in the dream world. Build perfect snowmen to get the snow set. Etc etc.

It's kept me and my girlfriend occupied for months. It's not that it has nothing to do, it's that you have to enjoy the things it has. It's not for everyone. I have been playing these games for almost 20 years starting with the gamecube release.

13. AJarOfMayo

AJarOfMayo Member
    Newcomer

United States
    it makes me sad that the biggest animal crossing game we've had yet started off super good with big updates, and now it's just table scraps worth of content that really should've been in the game already

14. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

United States
    Any update amounts to primarily more balloon farming for DIY recipes with some small holiday events tacked on if you're lucky.

15. mattyxarope

mattyxarope GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'd say only the first two are even real goals though. The rest are just subjective.

16. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Despite the limitations my favourite is still the Gamecube game. Not only it has the best soundtrack but for ages it was the one that let you have at least 15 villagers, had more holidays and events and of course the Nes games. The DS game was smaller and it showed but the online content, visiting other people towns and so on made for it.

The rest? Grass degradation, starting with just a tent and other stuff turned me away from them.

Maybe I would really be into the Switch game if I had bought it but... wow they really screwed up with Bunny Day and is still not a single day, they just reduced the number of eggs you get in the two freaking weeks leading to it.

"Just patch it later" is not something I can accept on a Nintendo game and more so one that became one of the Switch best selling games.

17. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    It's a self directed game in a lot of ways

Part of the appeal is making your own goals

Kinda like minecraft or dwarf fortress in that way

mattyxarope and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  18. seseiSeki

seseiSeki GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I always wonder why people say it sucks, that updates like this didn't come with the game out of the box. I mean, without time traveling you aren't able to access these time based events earlier than their release anyway.

19. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Because games nowadays cost more money that just a year ago and people hates having to add downloable updates in a console that has so little space as the Switch.

20. seseiSeki

seseiSeki GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    That makes no sense. I don't know about the money argument, since I only played AC:NH, but if all that stuff was included in the game from the get go, it's size would also be bigger. You'd still have to download the same amount.

21. CPG

CPG dingus

Canada
    im guessing this is their sorry for them bringing sm3das off shelves lol

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - collaborations, Festivale, Crossing