Animal Crossing October 15th Direct - Paid DLC coming to New Horizons

Aired today was the Animal Crossing Direct, which promised to show off all sorts of new content coming to Animal Crossing: New Horizons. What exactly did Nintendo reveal today? Find out in our coverage of the direct, summarized below.

The Roost is making a return and will be a part of the Museum once more. You can drink coffee and hang out with animals. Players can also use amiibo cards to invite specific animals to the Roost.

Kapp'n also is back. He will take you on a boat ride to a mysterious island. These islands can only be found through Kapp'n, and can feature seasons different to what it currently is on your island.

Harv and Harriet also have their own special island, where lots of New Leaf characters appear, such as Cyrus and Reese, who will help you customize furniture. Katrina, Kicks, and Sahara will have their own shops at the plaza, too.

New hairstyles are being added via Hariet's hair styling shop.

Like in the GameCube game, Morning Aerobics are back.

New Leaf ordinances return, which can change what time your residents are awake.

New home exteriors are being added.

More storage expansion for your home. It's now 5,000, max.

There are new items you can get through Nook Miles. You can now cook by obtaining food recipes.

Animal Crossing is adding crops that you can grow.

A Happy Home Designer feature is being added: ceiling decor. You can also customize individual walls in your house with specific wall accents.

Now you can build 10 bridges and inclines in your town, up from the previous 8.

New fences. You can customize older fences in new ways too.

An improved photo mode.

New reactions.

Island Life 101 is a Nook Phone app that gives you tutorial info about new content.

There's also new furniture items. Froggy chair confirmed.

More K.K. songs are on the way.

Gyroid fragments will grow into Gyroids when watered after a rain.

Ladders can permanently be crafted onto cliffs.

Animals can now visit your homes like in older games.

This is the final free content for the game, and it launches on November 5th, and will be the 2.0 update for the game.

However, Paid DLC is on the table.

Animal Crossing Happy Home Paradise has been announced.

It's a new version of Happy Home Designer, basically. You get to plan ideal island homes for animals. Everything can be customized. As you design more homes, you can learn new techniques, like building pillars, wall dividers, counters, or expanding the initially small homes.

Furniture polishing can add effects to your items.

By creating nicely designed homes, you can earn special points that can be redeemed for rare furniture for you to take home to your island.

Homes, hospitals, schools, and more can be made.

You can fast travel to the islands you customize for clients.

amiibo cards can be used to customize those particular animal's homes.

Once you learn how to use soundscapes and pillars and etc, you can bring them home to customize your own home, and even help remodel houses on your island.

Happy Home Paradise launches the same day as the free content, and will cost $24.99.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played in over a year after I lost my entire island. I sold my Switch and bought the AC edition Switch, but didn't back up my island. The latest free update, the paid dlc, plus all of the other updates they've had since I last played are all going to make it almost like an entirely new game. I haven't ever been excited to go back after the loss, until now.

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Animal Crossing fans are nuts. They play the game for 200 hours, complain how it's not good enough, and complain some more when they add more content. Developers can't catch a break. Every game has to be a clone of the previous games while simultaneously adding more and more content. Not every game has to be a Smash Bros "Everyone is here!" marathon. Just play Wild World.

Reactions: Dankstorm

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure it's enough to tempt me back, but it sounds like some reasonable free improvements. Don't think the paid part would be my jam anyway.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang thats a little pricey plus it being stuffed into the NSO + pack is a tad confusing.
If you can buy it outright why get the subscription version?
Of they had all this stuff day one it might have helped the game even more.
I'd have been happy waiting an extra year for the game instead of getting the game in pieces like this.

Hmm wasn't there some data mining tbat found the animals had more dialog and personality but its sorta soft locked?
They don't mention it but perhaps they'll finally unlock it then pretend they improved the animal personalities finally.

Something tells me they'll be mentioning the paid DLC a lot though.

Maybe they'll keep the animals soft locked and sell us a personality DLC.

I havent played the game for over a year and was planning to time travel forward a day/week at a time dlto catch up, maybe this final update will make it a tad more interesting.

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
love reading this, since it sounds like it will maybe achieve to feel like a complete game at some point. Played it pretty much for in the month it released and it felt like a beta with only the basics integrated

Nagarjuna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a fan. Most of these features should of been available on launch and it doesn't address the root problems New Horizons has (which might be impossible without creating a whole different game).
Animal Crossing has always been about moving to a new town, feeling like you're trying to insert yourself in this already established community, and discover the secrets the town has to offer. The extreme level of customization New Horizons has takes this away, and just makes the game boring. Also, crafting fucking sucks.
Animal Crossing is a life simulator, not a god simulator.

Reactions: vaugerbird

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Animal Crossing fans are nuts. They play the game for 200 hours, complain how it's not good enough, and complain some more when they add more content. Developers can't catch a break. Every game has to be a clone of the previous games while simultaneously adding more and more content. Not every game has to be a Smash Bros "Everyone is here!" marathon. Just play Wild World.
New Horizons had way less content than New Leaf, and it took Nintendo 1.5 years to catch up to most of the features that were included in a previous title from the get go, so complaints are all fairly valid. Fans weren't even asking for something super-groundbreaking - they're just frustrated that current-gen successor somehow ended up inferior than a decade-old 3DS game.

Besides, 200 hours is pretty much nothing in AC (or most life sims for that matter) - Animal Crossing is a series that thrives on longevity and uses it as a key selling point, so running out of things to do just 2-3 months in is a pretty big issue with this one.

Last edited by Pipistrele,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Syl +1