• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Am I the only person with consistent views? (COVID19/abortion)

Are you consistent with regards to abortion and mask-wearing?

• Yes, their bodies, their choices!

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • No, I am pro-choice [abortion], but for enforced mask-wearing in public.

Votes: 72 64.9%
  • Yes, let us not be careless about human life!

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • No, I am pro-life [abortion] but against mandatory mask-wearing in public.

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FB_IMG_1598557849173.jpg

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no. not accurate. It's like having nonconsented sex with while having hiv. Your forcing someone else into the matter, and I'm pretty sure most people don't want that forced upon them. it is not comparable to cookie dough
Except the people who are scared of the Holocough can just stay home and not have to worry about it. Our rights don't end where your fear begins.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unaided indicates breathing machines, dialysis, heart pumps, ect.
By that definition even the disabled should be murdered. As an example, people that are born hearing impaired, thus needing hearing aid should be murdered. Wouldn't it be easier or more cost effective to sterilize both the women and men so that they cannot reproduce? Especially when they very well know that the offspring that they produce is going to be disabled in some way?
I don't think you actually meant this, however some people could take it that way.

Last edited by RandomUser,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
unaided is probably the wrong term.
Most medical ethics discussions usually involve terms like extreme measures, and contemplate how likely things are to achieve a positive outcome. The line gets very blurry, may even change with time, and when playing medic you might well fight incredibly hard to give a single digits chance to save someone before going next door and watching someone die that measures half as potent would in all likelihood save.

Reactions: Sapphire01

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By that definition even the disabled should be murdered. As an example, people that are born hearing impaired, thus needing hearing aid should be murdered. Wouldn't it be easier or more cost effective to sterilize both the women and men so that they cannot reproduce? Especially when they very well know that the offspring that they produce is going to be disabled in some way?
I don't think you actually meant this, however some people could take it that way.

does your hearing aid keep you from actively dying? why are people so obtuse. the only people who would take it that way are purposefully trying to take it out of context.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you view everything through the lens of
fertilized cells=adult human
then yeah, you'll see "contradiction". but that's only because reality doesn't really agree with that lens. So when you judge things by something other than reality, reality looks skewed or incoherent.

Let's phrase it like this. say...you're dying of blood loss. I'm the only compatible blood donor around. no other way for you to live, other than me to give you my blood. You cannot violate my bodily autonomy to take my blood and save your life. You have to get permission. To take my blood would be a crime, and a violation of my bodily autonomy.

In the case of a pregnancy, no matter the stage, if the woman's life must be sacrificed in order for the fetus to continue maturation into a person, then you can't force her. It doesn't matter she's the only way for survival. you can't force her to give up her life. It's morally wrong to trade one life for another.

as far as mask go...wear a mask and reduce the spreading a deadly disease that doesn't show symptoms while contagious in the early phases. That's like...ethics 101. that's common denominator basic "how not to be a terribly person" type stuff. And it only reduces, so please stay home as often as possible and wash your hands. Seriously. These two things don't relate at all. One is about bodily autonomy, the other is about how not to recklessly endanger people's lives. If you want to see how silly the argument is against wearing mask, just replace it with those who argue against seat-belts. Seat-belts are even further removed from the "harm to others" argument, as that's just about no harm to you (and sometimes others if you become a ballistic weapon). Surely we can agree seat-belts are okay?

Last edited by osaka35,

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• 91425155_698101317595591_4975052449376108544_n.png
    91425155_698101317595591_4975052449376108544_n.png
    524.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited by omgcat,

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does your hearing aid keep you from actively dying? why are people so obtuse. the only people who would take it that way are purposefully trying to take it out of context.
Who said I wear hearing aid? You shouldn't be surprise by some people being obtuse. Hearing aids doesn't preserve life so no it doesn't keep you from actively dying. There is some medical devices that does and people can still live a full and healthy life.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tmw you make a joke and get called a Nazi
who said anything about being called a Nazi, that word never showed up in my post. I'm just pointing out known antisemitic language. the fact that you know someone would call you a Nazi for making that joke should be a red flag that maybe it's not a good joke at all.

Last edited by omgcat,

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not being called a Nazi, but your previous comment is anti-semitic.

If you're going to make light of COVID-19, it would be more appropriate to call it the Trump Mumps.
1. Trump didn't create the virus.
2. Nobody called Swine Flu Obamascare.(Then again, nobody ever did anything about it, either.)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait what happened here? Was it the phrase holocough that people are objecting to?

Leaving aside we have several phrases for mass death with holo in it (see holodomor for a big one) is it in and of itself an anti semitic or whatever term even without that? Is it any more of a play on words than a favourite game from my youth Carmageddon 2 Carpocalypse now being corruptions of the words armageddon and apocalypse?
The word holocaust has also been used as a shorthand for a mass death in general. Think my favourite was from a now little remembered 2000s (really last of the 90s) horror film in Cherry Falls which featured the phrase hymen holocaust (spoilers, the killer was targetting the virgins of a school so the kids planned an orgy to count it).

Personally I quite like kung flu as a term -- present death rates and percentages have nothing anywhere near comparison with anything holo really, though I suppose if you are going for an overblown play then maybe.

Reactions: UltraSUPRA

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Trump didn't create the virus.
2. Nobody called Swine Flu Obamascare.(Then again, nobody ever did anything about it, either.)
  1. No, but Trump blatantly ignored and mishandled the virus to the point that the United States, with 4% of the world's population, became 25% of the world's COVID-19 cases and 25% of the world's COVID-19 deaths. Aside from Trump's objective failings, there is nothing about the United States that explains this disparity. There was no federal response to the virus, particularly at the beginning when it mattered most. Edit: Oh, and let's not forget that, long before Trump was downplaying the virus and pretending it wasn't a serious issue, he fired the pandemic response team in the US.
  2. The Obama administration handled the swine flu, as well as ebola, properly, so there wasn't any reason to give it a stupid nickname.

Last edited by Lacius,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am curious about relative case numbers, estimates, testing rates and whatnot for that supposition (or do we believe China, Italy, UK and all that and their particular rates).

As far as "proper" handling though. Are the situations really that comparable? Neither were particularly transmissible (this being airborne as well as other fluids) with longer than some transmissible but asymptomatic phase diseases.
One also asks what is the goal in handling things? Herd immunity, delay for response mobilisation (arguably what flatten the curve might be), delay for understanding (China's data on things being of dubious merit and outside categorisation then needing a reasonable number of cases to look at + data on them), delay for vaccine (or maybe treatment protocol), isolate likely serious consequences types (seemingly in this case old and infirm) and let the rest of the population burn it out to in turn reduce transmission paths... is cases and deaths in such scenarios not an acceptable cost (or indeed what is an acceptable cost there)?

Is swine flu itself not a nickname of sorts?

Anyway I am still unsure what the great objection to giving something a nickname, or indeed just this one, is.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Wait what happened here? Was it the phrase holocough that people are objecting to?

Leaving aside we have several phrases for mass death with holo in it (see holodomor for a big one) is it in and of itself an anti semitic or whatever term even without that? Is it any more of a play on words than a favourite game from my youth Carmageddon 2 Carpocalypse now being corruptions of the words armageddon and apocalypse?
The word holocaust has also been used as a shorthand for a mass death in general. Think my favourite was from a now little remembered 2000s (really last of the 90s) horror film in Cherry Falls which featured the phrase hymen holocaust (spoilers, the killer was targetting the virgins of a school so the kids planned an orgy to count it).

Personally I quite like kung flu as a term -- present death rates and percentages have nothing anywhere near comparison with anything holo really, though I suppose if you are going for an overblown play then maybe.
Ehm, so you dont see the demeaning quality in the invented term 'Holocough'? Without having read the previous pages. Thats a wordplay I'd let slide in the case a comedian uses it, but knowing our comedians in this forum this probably is a pepe-ism again. (Attacking a taboo, then saying - it was just a joke...).

Get with it.. ;)

Good comedian serves function to highlight things that are not working within society, so there is an educational component to it, or at least to be funny. But what the heck is Holocough? ;)

Last edited by notimp,
D

Deleted User

Except the people who are scared of the Holocough can just stay home and not have to worry about it. Our rights don't end where your fear begins.
Again. NO
People need to go places, people have jobs, people have to get food. People have to move around. That's a pathetic excuse to say
"Well just don't go out, respect us for being idiots, loose your rights to happiness"
You want to know what I say?
Fuck your idiocy. Because that's essentially all it comes down to.

HELLO? Are we really talking this. holy crap.
I honestly barely even take you seriously. Christ. Again here comes the circus music and the world is going round and round.
I'll just state this since clearly you have no grasp of history.
and I'll bold it too
this has nothing to do with gun rights
second, a lot of people agreed this was what had to be done, sorry if your opinion was trampled over, but it's not facts nor is it a majority opinion. And the facts are that if we followed the plan correctly (see section of president being a idiot, and congress squandering. while massive conglomerates get bailouts while they don't prioritize the working class, along with reopening too early, and a lot of idiotic blame shifting) we would of been back to normalcy by now.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!