Homebrew am i retarded....

Gobnoblin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Now I know you are all thinking man this guy is retarded but I really have no idea what actually causes the "BRICK". I have seen many topics and many solutions for if you have bricked your wii but have never actually encountered the cause if its one or causes if it is several... I know a bricked wii is generally just that.. a fancy paper weight, at least if you don't have bootmii boot 2 (not ios, which I have so wonder if theres any point) and nand back up. (I don't have preloader or startpatch or anything else yet either, just hbc and bootmii as ios along with a few vc titles and the neogamma as channel) soooooo long and short of it is... how do you actually brick your wii? I am no genius and I haven't done it yet even when mucking about..... is it only when you get ntsc on pal updates or vice versa... or is it just from putting questionable things on the wii?....... don't care much about the cure as there are plenty of threads on that but sure curious about the cause as no one seems to say what caused it just that its bricked so please help me lol.... I'll search and read a little on causes as well but sure would like some input to make me a little less retarded.... perhaps even just your story/circumstances on how you bricked and what caused it? thanks

KiiNG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bricks are generally caused by stupidity. Uninstalling IOS, installing a bad .wad (e.g., broken VC game), or a power outage during firmware changes (causing incomplete IOS updating.) You can also get bricked by downgrading your firmware due to improper backdating of certain IOS.

You should atleast install Preloader. If you only have BootMii as IOS, then Preloader is the best thing you can do to fix some kinds of bricks.

Gobnoblin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
lol ... generally caused by stupidity.... sad but true i guess ...... so basically bricks are caused by an introduction of a glitch to the software by some form which causes it to stop working..... cool... and I'll hafta look into that preloader as a preventitive measure as well... thanks

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
The most common way to brick is when using "flashing application" when you flash information to the internal memory of your wii there is ALWAYS a risk of bricking but as stated above most commonly bricks happen to people who do not read the "read me" file or instructions..(you do not strike me as that type at all bro) Another common way to brick not yet mentioned is installing custom system menus or "wii menu themes" from the wrong region ( using the wrong 000000XX.app file will almost always result in a brick) to avoid getting a brick the best ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS GOOGLE SEARCH AND BE CONFIDENT YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING BEFORE YOU EXECUTE ANY FLASH RELATED INSTALLS!

a good thing to do is install brick recovery tools like preloader and starfall/starpatch (thats all i use and i've bricked developing animated channels and themes MANY TIMES and always recovered) also if you can install bootmii to boot2 its worth having for the nand backup/restore feature.. Another good thing to do before you execute is locate a guide here on gbatemp (use search tab on the top right) and a video if possible on youtube (visual aid) so that you have good references and resources..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.