Almost good games that you wanted to like more but slogged through hoping for more

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgot to mention 3DS version of Blazblue : CS2.

Terrible port of a great game. Lack of directional circle pad, online play, or even standby mode on lid close shows how half-assed it was done.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Mass Effect series.
I originally rented #1 with no actual knowledge of what it was other than some hype and a thread on my old forum saying it was great. So I went to blockbusters and it was the only real game there, so I tried it.
Went into it thinking, this'll be awesome. An hour in, waiting for awesome, 2 hours in, still waiting, 3...4...5... I couldn't figure out where the awesome was.
Maybe it was hiding, i'm not sure. Perhaps I missed it during those times I fell asleep. I dunno. Ended up returning it and saying the disk wasn't working so I could rent another game.
I could see potential for a good game, but for some reason it just never made it to one.

I properly went through #1 and 2 when they were released on PC because I still heard great things yet remembered bad things. At least 2 has funner gameplay, but I was still bored to tears with all the 'story' bits, which is odd because I typically love story driven games...when they're good. Though #2 was a bit more gameplay focused thank god. But I still kept going, hoping it would get better and being disappointed when I hit credits and it still hadn't gotten better. :sad:

Other than that, I can't think of much I stuck with if I felt it was lacking. I have so many games I just don't have time to pray a game gets better.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Mass Effect series.
I originally rented #1 with no actual knowledge of what it was other than some hype and a thread on my old forum saying it was great. So I went to blockbusters and it was the only real game there, so I tried it.
Went into it thinking, this'll be awesome. An hour in, waiting for awesome, 2 hours in, still waiting, 3...4...5... I couldn't figure out where the awesome was.
Maybe it was hiding, i'm not sure. Perhaps I missed it during those times I fell asleep. I dunno. Ended up returning it and saying the disk wasn't working so I could rent another game.
I could see potential for a good game, but for some reason it just never made it to one.

I properly went through #1 and 2 when they were released on PC because I still heard great things yet remembered bad things. At least 2 has funner gameplay, but I was still bored to tears with all the 'story' bits, which is odd because I typically love story driven games...when they're good. Though #2 was a bit more gameplay focused thank god. But I still kept going, hoping it would get better and being disappointed when I hit credits and it still hadn't gotten better. :sad:

Other than that, I can't think of much I stuck with if I felt it was lacking. I have so many games I just don't have time to pray a game gets better.

The first ME plays like complete shit, and takes a long time before it picks up. ME2 greatly improves on the gameplay and story telling, and then ME3 just does it best.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would say Timesplitters to wind up ShadowSoldier but given the theme is games you slogged through and every time I tried to play one when round a friends of borrowing their copy I gave up in very short order (more common for me to do that for games than films but still not common) I can not really say it.

On stranglehold.... I played it right after it was released and it was pretty good "for its time", however it seemed the would be action film type game and some of the mechanics within it were steadily improved over the years to come and elements that worked within it were incorporated into other games. That said I never got around to playing gungrave on the PS2 so my points of reference might be a bit off. For my money though it did not come close to beating max payne in story it did do gameplay so much better.
I am also probably supposed to say Vanquish in that list but despite owning it I have not played it (I did only get it a couple of weeks ago- thanks dying blockbuster for that one).

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
One that I so want to like, but just can't stand is Unlimited SaGa for the PS2. I like the concept, the art, and everything except... playing it.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
To the people saying TWEWY....wow, really? I know it's a bit of a learning curve to get used to it but it's unique in many ways and i found it to be one of my DS highlights.

I actually thought of something i felt this way about that will probably run counter to many people - Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker dragged ON, and ON, and ON. Granted this was the whole thing rather than just the story, but it felt like an exercise in repetition half the time, and for story missions just getting from point A to B in small areas. Plus the boss fights were terrible. I slogged away to 100% it (yes that includes the MH missions and Gear Rex, and the true ending and secret tape message) but it was a worse experience than Portable Ops for me.

Also, gah i hate my inept repetition of the word "more" in the thread title.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Dead Space 3. Don't get me wrong here, the game itself wasn't bad. It's a good game, there wasn't anything wrong with it. But what killed it for me and probably a lot of other Dead Space fans was it's evolution into a shit shooter. I think I mentioned this in another thread somewhere, so it might seem a bit repetitive of me, but don't care. I mean, I've heard the side stories are...sort of scary...but I don't want sort of scary. So they dun goofed this one up for me.

Mass Effect 1 was also something I had to drag through to see if it got better. I love the Mass Effect series as a whole, but 1 just...really isn't very good. I had to force myself to play it the first time I played, then the second time I just didn't care and gave myself the super guns and armor and stuff so I could just fly through the game and get to 2.

I might get shit for this one, but Super Mario Galaxy. I started off the game with good intentions, I heard a lot of great things about it, but I just couldn't get into it. I stopped myself after an hour or so out of straight boredom and never picked up back up again.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On mass effect- I have not actually played the rest of the series but 1 was anything but a slog for me, at least once I figured out how to trap my AI partners and go alone. Indeed the ruined colony/sewer level probably sits as one of my favourite levels ever.

Reactions: tbgtbg

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ff13 was hyped turned out its a turd

I feel like you kind of missed the point....wanting to enjoy a game you're playing but it missing that special something that makes it a fun experience isn't really dependent upon how hyped a game is. Did you keep playing FFXIII but feel letdown by the gameplay or the reviews? It's the former that's important.

Tuddles

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel like you kind of missed the point....wanting to enjoy a game you're playing but it missing that special something that makes it a fun experience isn't really dependent upon how hyped a game is. Did you keep playing FFXIII but feel letdown by the gameplay or the reviews? It's the former that's important.
i played and play and wanted to like it, I forced myslef to 40 hours in then said OMG FF has died a loooong and dragged out painful death over the years. Now ff13 has been rereleased like what 3 times probley be renamed and rereleased another 15-20 over the next 2-3 years then it shall hit ipad 10 and make the next gen of kids vomit alil as they play too its a cycle with square, they should have left the rpg business after snes

Tuddles

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, that pretty much indicates that a game could be great and you wouldn't like it.
lol ya pretty much a company who take 10 years to make one game then its turd ya, lol where ff vs. it was shown before the ps3 even came out and it wont be out till like ps5

Skarigon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Final Fantasy VIII had a pretty fun battle system, but it was way too easy to break it. Shame about the rest of the game (except for the music).

Also, Avalon Code for the DS, amazing idea, horrible execution, and I kept waiting until it would get good. It never did.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
UT3, mostly. Me and my clan had very high hopes of it, but when it finally came around, there was barely any way to set up a private server.

There was no real reason to go back to UT2004 (though that WAS the better game), so...I kinda played it longer than I should. And I've mentioned it in many other threads: the non-vehicle sections aren't bad at all. If you overlook the "look at me being beautiful!!!" images (that weren't beautiful: it was all brown, grey and shiney).

Back when me and my friends were young, we liked beat 'em ups. Double dragon/final fight games. So one day one of us (I honestly forgot who) picked up a game called rival turf.
It took us about half an hour before someone finally said what we were all thinking: this game is BAD!
Not the "getting used to" bad. Or "ridiculously hard" bad. Just plain out worse in every field than final fight. Usually by a long shot. In fact, the game looked more like some sort of a tech demo for a beat'em up rather than an actual game (you could hit, kick and jumpkick...that's it. Mind you, this was multiple years after double dragon, where all sorts of grabbing and throwing became standard).
...so yeah: not exactly something for this thread. But still: that anticipation and not wanting to be the first to make the remark of the game...yeah...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is pretty good