Almost good games that you wanted to like more but slogged through hoping for more

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, forgot to add Chrono Cross.
Brother and tons of people claimed it to be a super good game.
But then I go through and see... you can't level up until you beat some bosses? What? That made battles plain and pointless.
And then the "connection" to Trigger... just no.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love. I really wanted to like the game, it has two things I like - mechs and a turn-based battle system. Shame that by the time I actually got to the gameplay I wanted to fall asleep. The whole chitty-chatty introduction to the game is so long that by the time you get to actually play the game, you want to turn it off. I was very disappointed. I'm not even kidding, it took about an hour before the tutorial started.
Good memory indeed!

For Sakura Wars: I had trouble getting it work with my Wii first. And when I finally played I did not even get to the actual game before I shutted off. Or is it a visual novel? Never saw anything game-like. Characters were just not my cup of tea. And it seemed endless.
Not sure what you guys were expecting with this one, but, I mean, it does include "Dating Sim" as part of the genre description.

I'm scared of playing Xenoblade Chronicles. The Wii library has.. how many RPGs? Not much at least. And I'm afraid I won't like it - that's 25% less RPG for the Wii. : (
Don't let Foxi scare you away from Xenoblade. His opinion of that game is in the minority; I recommend you try it out and decide for yourself if you like it.

what about the ones i mentioned are they any good?
Pandora's Tower: Decent game, although it's not very big on RPG elements. It played a lot like the Dungeon elements of a Zelda game, but with no overworld to explore. Lots of combat and puzzle solving, and really interesting boss battles that make you think. For the most part, the boss battles avoid the formula of making you use a new dungeon item/skill, and instead you typically have to just figure out the right way to use what you've had available for most the game.

The Last Story: It didn't quite click for me. I was able to play through it without hating it, which is a plus, as I'm not a huge RPG gamer. I didn't care for most of the bland characters, and the romance felt incredibly forced. I think the only characters I found interesting were Syrenne and Lowell. The battle is action-based, and is engaging. However sometimes you'll be in battle with all seven party members (I think that's how many there were?) and they seem to be able to clean things up pretty well without your help. I feel like battling could have been more interesting if you had a choice in character to play as. Overall, I don't regret having played it (hell, I played it a second time when I was bored), and I would guess a fan of Hironobu Sakaguchi would not want to pass on it.

Fragile Dreams: This is another one that didn't really play as an RPG. It felt a lot more like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories than it did like any other RPG I've played. The main story was meh, but it was an incredibly atmospheric experience. Some of the last memories of those who had died were pretty moving. It's not a game for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Super Paper Mario: Didn't feel like an RPG. Was rather linear, too, in that it's laid out in levels rather than a map to explore through. The 2d/3d thing was a pretty neat mechanic. Kept me interested long enough to finish it, didn't really leave much of a lasting impression.

Tales of Symphonia 2: I only played the first one on the Gamecube and it wasn't the greatest. I didn't really dislike it, but I didn't care for it enough to bother with the sequel, which I read isn't as good as the original.

thesupremegamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure what you guys were expecting with this one, but, I mean, it does include "Dating Sim" as part of the genre description.

Don't let Foxi scare you away from Xenoblade. His opinion of that game is in the minority; I recommend you try it out and decide for yourself if you like it.

Pandora's Tower: Decent game, although it's not very big on RPG elements. It played a lot like the Dungeon elements of a Zelda game, but with no overworld to explore. Lots of combat and puzzle solving, and really interesting boss battles that make you think. For the most part, the boss battles avoid the formula of making you use a new dungeon item/skill, and instead you typically have to just figure out the right way to use what you've had available for most the game.

The Last Story: It didn't quite click for me. I was able to play through it without hating it, which is a plus, as I'm not a huge RPG gamer. I didn't care for most of the bland characters, and the romance felt incredibly forced. I think the only characters I found interesting were Syrenne and Lowell. The battle is action-based, and is engaging. However sometimes you'll be in battle with all seven party members (I think that's how many there were?) and they seem to be able to clean things up pretty well without your help. I feel like battling could have been more interesting if you had a choice in character to play as. Overall, I don't regret having played it (hell, I played it a second time when I was bored), and I would guess a fan of Hironobu Sakaguchi would not want to pass on it.

Fragile Dreams: This is another one that didn't really play as an RPG. It felt a lot more like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories than it did like any other RPG I've played. The main story was meh, but it was an incredibly atmospheric experience. Some of the last memories of those who had died were pretty moving. It's not a game for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Super Paper Mario: Didn't feel like an RPG. Was rather linear, too, in that it's laid out in levels rather than a map to explore through. The 2d/3d thing was a pretty neat mechanic. Kept me interested long enough to finish it, didn't really leave much of a lasting impression.

Tales of Symphonia 2: I only played the first one on the Gamecube and it wasn't the greatest. I didn't really dislike it, but I didn't care for it enough to bother with the sequel, which I read isn't as good as the original.

i think what kept me playing super paper mario was dimentio he was actualy a pretty fun villian that and the music XD

Worse than that
so its unfaithful to the original or something? is baby mario 1000 times more annoying

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's still an opinion though, but yeah, he should try it for himself. It's "not bad for a Wii game", but it doesn't stand on its own merits otherwise, at least in my opinion.

thesupremegamer

Trophies
XP
Country
It's still an opinion though, but yeah, he should try it for himself. It's "not bad for a Wii game", but it doesn't stand on its own merits otherwise, at least in my opinion.
i must play xenoblade ill give it credit the graphics looks really impressive for the wii

if i had to pick a good wii rpg little king story comes to mind its basically medievil pikmin XD and i love pikmin so yeah

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i must play xenoblade ill give it credit the graphics looks really impressive for the wii

if i had to pick a good wii rpg little king story comes to mind its basically medievil pikmin XD and i love pikmin so yeah
The system offers Tales of Graces, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Tales of Symphonia, Baroque and more, it's definitely not a JRPG powerhouse, but there are a few worth the attention.

thesupremegamer

Trophies
XP
Country
The system offers Tales of Graces, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Tales of Symphonia, Baroque and more, it's definitely not a JRPG powerhouse, but there are a few worth the attention.
meh im abit picky with mah rpgs XD i usualy prefer action rpgs like secret of mana for example

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paper Mario - Sticker Star.. I wish it was like Super Paper Mario and not another M&L Saga. I was really disappointed when I saw it wasn't true PM style as the name falsely suggests.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Dating Simulation? Well, that explains it. I was truly not expecting this - more a mecha Fire Emblem.

Thanks for your advice and sure, I will try Xenoblade out for myself. Maybe it can surprise after all, who knows? Does not hurt to hear some different opinions, but in the end I decide. ; )

Because Super Paper Mario was "true PM style"?
I was so shocked as a friend showed the first 10 minutes of the game. First they cut the battle system out in Super Paper Mario and then they put it back in Sticker Star, but cut the most RPG parts out of it which make fights pointless and restricted. What were they thinking?

thesupremegamer

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess I should have elaborated a bit. I was referring to the graphic style and interaction with the environment as a 2D cutout. For me, the M&LS games aren't as fun to play in the action sequences.
i was never a big fan of mario and luigi i didnt think they where as funny as people say thet are sure it had a few funny momments but nothing lauth out like like say psychonauts or conkers bad fur day

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.