Almost good games that you wanted to like more but slogged through hoping for more

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
most modern Mario games have that effect on me.
I really enjoyed the first Super Mario bros, Super Mario bros 3 and Super Mario World but Super Mario 64 onward I don't quite get the awesomeness of them and have never finish any, including the New Super Mario bros series.
I also suffered the "too much hype" syndrome with Zelda OoT. while I managed to enjoy the game, is over rated, I'm still waiting the groundbreaking experience everyone talk about.
Now I tend to evade reading reviews or things like that to not get over hyped and end up hopping in vain, I think that's why I like Watch_Dogs.

Last Symphony

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fallout 3: New Vegas. My friends tell me that it is a fantastic game with good story to go with it, but I am in the same predicament with a previous poster; it bores me. It feels so slow and clunky. I actually liked TES IV Oblivion back in the day but it burnt me out so I never managed to finish it. Tried returning to the TES series with Skyrim but it never piqued my interest enough to warrant a full playthrough.

Zelda series. I know they are all great but almost all of the Zelda games I have I never managed to finish them. I think the last Zelda game I finished is Phantom Hourglass (I liked it despite the complaints of Zelda Fans). Someday, perhaps I'll finish Twilight Princess in the Wii.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh i like this topic, so many games iv played fit this catagory. *Cracks knuckles*

Toukiden: The age of demons - I wanted it to be Monster Hunter for VITA but its simply not. The real issue for me is that it doesnt require much stratagy to play, its hack and slash and the items and customizing just isnt very good. I like a challange when i play my games and this just doesnt deliver.

Rayman legends wii u - Not as good as origins and the stupid touchscreen levels sucked ass.

Halo 4 - I have played all the halo games since 2. Me and my friend have put a ridiculously large ammount of hours into playing them online and despite it being the same type of gameplay. I never got bored of it, that is untill i played Halo 4. I dont know what changed but it changed, it didnt feel fun anymore. The shooting mechanics changed, the weapon system layout was all different and confusing and it had an "unlock" system like a call of duty game. I hated it and i had to force myself to play it untill i quit playing it completely.

Ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 - This game just isnt casual friendly. I loved MVC2 and it wasnt so user-friendly that it couldnt still be taken seriously as a competative fighter but MVC3 got rid of all that. I just cannot enjoy this game online or offline and i do like fighting games but i just feel it was too custom-tailored for pros and i cant be arsed to get pro at this game to enjoy it.

Terraria - This might just be my preference for minecraft coz I enjoy the creating aspect of games but in this game it doesnt feel fun, it feels like effort. In minecraft when you build a house it feels epic. When you build a house in this game its just like "eh" but i guess the big part is the enemies and the bosses and exploring and yeah it might have more in that respect. However, beating a couple of zombies and finding a chest in a cave on Terraria is like a 4/10 on the excitement level. Finding a dark abandoned minetrack filled with creepers/wizards/enemy spawners with chests on minecraft is more like a 8/10. Let alone the custom made adventure levels.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh i like this topic, so many games iv played fit this catagory. *Cracks knuckles*

[

Halo 4 - I have played all the halo games since 2. Me and my friend have put a ridiculously large ammount of hours into playing them online and despite it being the same type of gameplay. I never got bored of it, that is untill i played Halo 4. I dont know what changed but it changed, it didnt feel fun anymore. The shooting mechanics changed, the weapon system layout was all different and confusing and it had an "unlock" system like a call of duty game. I hated it and i had to force myself to play it untill i quit playing it completely.

Ever since Bungie left Halo, it has begun to slowly die ;w; I only continue with it due to my dedication to the chief.
Much more excited for the remastered collection later this year to play all the fucking good games and completely ignore all of the Halo 4 playlist ;O:

Alchemilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not the original poster, but I agree with him and here are my points.

FF7 has fantastic gameplay, music, setting... it had almost everything going for it.

The story is where it all goes downwards. The first CD? It's the most epic rollercoaster of an RPG you'll play for years to come. First you're a terrorist, then you're crossdressing, then you're blitzing out of a tower in a motorcycle...crazy awesome stuff.

Then from CD2 onwards it becomes this:

-Find Sephiroth
-'Hey Sephiroth, I found you! I'ma kick your butt!'
-'No, wait, beat up my mother first.'
-Beat up mother
-Beat up Sephiroth
-Sephiroth runs.

(repeat chorus 3x)

-get disappointed at final fight for being too easy (start 4x KOTR, make sandwich, watch credits)

Sephiroth could have used Evil Lessons from Kefka. Now THAT's a villain. Only villain to actually SUCCEED at destroying the world, becoming a god. Kefka doesn't need his mother, and he poisons a whole town BECAUSE HE FEELS LIKE IT.

There's a theory on the internet that after a certain point you're not seeing Sephiroth, you're seeing Jenova who has made themself into the likeness of Sephiroth. The theory came up because in all flashbacks Sephiroth calls Jenova mother, but in all present day encounters he calls Jenova Jenova. Also because Sephiroth in the first present day encounter doesn't remember Cloud.

Reactions: Blebleman

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a theory on the internet that after a certain point you're not seeing Sephiroth, you're seeing Jenova who has made themself into the likeness of Sephiroth. The theory came up because in all flashbacks Sephiroth calls Jenova mother, but in all present day encounters he calls Jenova Jenova. Also because Sephiroth in the first present day encounter doesn't remember Cloud.

That's pretty cool. Have you seen the theory that Squall is DEAD during most of FFVIII?

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
That's pretty cool. Have you seen the theory that Squall is DEAD during most of FFVIII?

Iv read that theory in detail and i love it! There is alot that makes sense. I like to pretend that they originally intended the game to work like that but someone high up probably told them off saying "You cant kill off 2 main characters in both 7 and 8" and so it changed. It does raise alot of questions tho. Mostly, Who healed Squall after disc one? If it was Edea then WHY did she heal him? Why does Rinoa suddenly start liking Squall instead of Seifer? and WHY at the end were almost all the "flashback" sequences from disc 1? (JK! We know why, he was still alive then)

Reactions: Blebleman

Alchemilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iv read that theory in detail and i love it! There is alot that makes sense. I like to pretend that they originally intended the game to work like that but someone high up probably told them off saying "You cant kill off 2 main characters in both 7 and 8" and so it changed. It does raise alot of questions tho. Mostly, Who healed Squall after disc one? If it was Edea then WHY did she heal him? Why does Rinoa suddenly start liking Squall instead of Seifer? and WHY at the end were almost all the "flashback" sequences from disc 1? (JK! We know why, he was still alive then)
Those are neat questions but the biggest one has to be 'if Squall had no interest in Rinoa then why does his dying dream make her like him'?

thesupremegamer

Trophies
XP
Country
i have a few

devil may cry the first one

to be fair i might not have given it a fair chance but when i played it i was sooo bored i did enjoy DMC 3 though but the first game just hasnt aged well atall

ni no kuni

its soooo boring and the storyline i garbage i can see why people like it but its not for me

new super mario bros

ite the same game over and over and over and over again i can care less about the series now

rayman 2

the graphics and music where great but the gameplay felt to generic for me

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love. I really wanted to like the game, it has two things I like - mechs and a turn-based battle system. Shame that by the time I actually got to the gameplay I wanted to fall asleep. The whole chitty-chatty introduction to the game is so long that by the time you get to actually play the game, you want to turn it off. I was very disappointed. I'm not even kidding, it took about an hour before the tutorial started.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive been really torn whether to try braverly default or not

The battle mechanics of risk/reward is pretty nice and definitely unique, but there's a part in the game (around chapter 5) where it all becomes very repetitive, and some bosses even require a very specific setup. It almost goes too nostalgic to me, and at tomes is cumbersome. The world isn't very explorable either.
The characters and story are just so awful. It's very cliche, and characters are pretty one-dimensional. That in itself put me off the game.
Personally, It was very overhyped to me. It had tons of potential with the risk/reward mechanic, but the execution of story weighed out the pros.
If you want a good RPG story, steer clear. If you can put up with the bad story and just want to enjoy the nice mechanics of the game, then it's worth a purchase, but not at full retail price.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Xenoblade Chronicles and Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love. I was quite hyped to play both games but ended up being really disappointed early on to the point of losing the will to play.

Oh god that was one i managed to stop playing....i really wanted to like it but there just wasn't enough game for me and the characters didn't really make me feel much in the way of empathy.
Tell me about it. I went through hell and back to get it to work - for some reason my cIOS setup always failed to boot the game properly and it always froze after the intro - I can't tell how many ISO's and how many cIOS reinstalls I went through just to go past it, only to have to suffer through (I swear) at least an hour and a half of dialogue just to see the game proper.

I was asking myself on numerous occasions "Where is the game? I saw screenshots, there must be a game in this." and my girlfriend who sat beside me literally fell asleep before the training stage began... and it wasn't even that good.

Waste of bandwidth, if I bought this game rather than pirated it, I would probably return it and demand both my money back and some compensation for the time I've lost (not to mention my endangered sanity). There's broken pacing and there's waiting an hour and a half before getting to actually play the game.
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love. I really wanted to like the game, it has two things I like - mechs and a turn-based battle system. Shame that by the time I actually got to the gameplay I wanted to fall asleep. The whole chitty-chatty introduction to the game is so long that by the time you get to actually play the game, you want to turn it off. I was very disappointed. I'm not even kidding, it took about an hour before the tutorial started.
Foxi, you're gettin old. :wink:

(Just read through all the 5 pages out of curiosity, so I noticed)

thesupremegamer

Trophies
XP
Country
The battle mechanics of risk/reward is pretty nice and definitely unique, but there's a part in the game (around chapter 5) where it all becomes very repetitive, and some bosses even require a very specific setup. It almost goes too nostalgic to me, and at tomes is cumbersome. The world isn't very explorable either.
The characters and story are just so awful. It's very cliche, and characters are pretty one-dimensional. That in itself put me off the game.
Personally, It was very overhyped to me. It had tons of potential with the risk/reward mechanic, but the execution of story weighed out the pros.
If you want a good RPG story, steer clear. If you can put up with the bad story and just want to enjoy the nice mechanics of the game, then it's worth a purchase, but not at full retail price.

ok ill just get it cheap then if i can XD

maybe if it get a sequal it will fix the problems the first game had

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh, I already posted about it? Gee, my bad indeed! I thought I said Xenoblade Yawnicles last time. :rofl2:

EDIT: Ha! I remembered correctly, I just mentioned both! :P
Good memory indeed!

For Sakura Wars: I had trouble getting it work with my Wii first. And when I finally played I did not even get to the actual game before I shutted off. Or is it a visual novel? Never saw anything game-like. Characters were just not my cup of tea. And it seemed endless.

I'm scared of playing Xenoblade Chronicles. The Wii library has.. how many RPGs? Not much at least. And I'm afraid I won't like it - that's 25% less RPG for the Wii. : (

thesupremegamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Good memory indeed!

For Sakura Wars: I had trouble getting it work with my Wii first. And when I finally played I did not even get to the actual game before I shutted off. Or is it a visual novel? Never saw anything game-like. Characters were just not my cup of tea. And it seemed endless.

I'm scared of playing Xenoblade Chronicles. The Wii library has.. how many RPGs? Not much at least. And I'm afraid I won't like it - that's 25% less RPG for the Wii. : (
the wii has a decent librery of rpgs

pandoras tower
last story
fragile dreams
that phantom brave remake
super paper mario( YES IT COUNTS)
tales of synphonia 2

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii has a decent librery of rpgs

pandoras tower
last story
fragile dreams
that phantom brave remake
super paper mario( YES IT COUNTS)
tales of synphonia 2
the wii has one of the worst libraries in existence in regards to rpgs. has hardly any of them, and even less that are worth playing

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yoshi's New Island.
It had all the workings for what could have been a good games, but I couldn't get past the repetitive music, short level design, and just overall meh to it.
I wish it was better and I wished I could get more out of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-